Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

• RMweb Gold

Great to see Charmouth again and I had to go back and look at the older photos to compare the alterations. There's enough detail to keep the eye occupied for ages and near constant movement so thanks to your team too for their efforts. I look at Bridport and get a little daunted by the amount of buildings but Charmouth still keeps the flame of 'that's what I want to get to' going :)

How about offering both together to Warley now they've both been on their own? ;) just personal greed that last bit.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, sorry I missed you at Warley, (you must have been in the bar having that pint, :O hahahh :nono: ) Ray and Richard were excelent at both operating and conversation so it was really good. The extension to the shed looked like it had been there for ever. I was well impressed with the overall scenic work, nothing caught my eye, so that shows that nothing stood out like a sore thumb. I hope to see it again some time and maybe have a play whoops, operate, I might even get converted to that STRANGE GAUGE!!!!!!!! :no: .

Thanks again and all the best, Andy.

• RMweb Gold

We had a great weekend with Charmouth.

It's been 4 years since I last had chance to run trains on Charmouth (the first time for Ray).

What a major pleasure and fun to run and shunt. A goods train easily taking 30 mins to shunt, with passenger trains running between.

Obviously important to keep something running as much as possible as the viewers had paid to see something running well.

Yes, the 'new' changes blend in very well and do add a little more to the 'feel' of Charmouth.

Lets hope that Dave can bring Charmouth out again soon somewhere. Unfortunately I did not get much chance to take any photos.

Thanks for letting us have ago again.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

good to see you and your team in the pub on saturday night. We did make it across your side of the hall briefly on Sunday but, as usual at Warley, it was difficult to get away from the layout for long. Hopefully catch up with you all again soon. Jerry

Good to see you Jerry, I take it you survived the Beefeater Experience on Saturday night? It only took an hour and a quarter for our food to arrive...

Great to see Charmouth again and I had to go back and look at the older photos to compare the alterations. There's enough detail to keep the eye occupied for ages and near constant movement so thanks to your team too for their efforts. I look at Bridport and get a little daunted by the amount of buildings but Charmouth still keeps the flame of 'that's what I want to get to' going :)

How about offering both together to Warley now they've both been on their own? ;) just personal greed that last bit.

Hi Paul, Sorry not to see you, but at such a large show you always manage to miss somebody! Thanks for the comments, I have been approached about showing both layouts together again, but havent committed myself yet.

Hi Dave, sorry I missed you at Warley, (you must have been in the bar having that pint, :O hahahh :nono: ) Ray and Richard were excelent at both operating and conversation so it was really good. The extension to the shed looked like it had been there for ever. I was well impressed with the overall scenic work, nothing caught my eye, so that shows that nothing stood out like a sore thumb. I hope to see it again some time and maybe have a play whoops, operate, I might even get converted to that STRANGE GAUGE!!!!!!!! :no: . Thanks again and all the best, Andy.

Hi Andy, Apologies for missing you too, and thanks for your comments on the layout. In my defence, I didnt go near the bar! (Only in the evening) I was probably eating/guzzling tea/drooling over Lynton & Barnstaple layouts/scouring secondhand bookstands etc, etc.

Should you feel the urge to "go narrow gauge", please jump in, the waters lovely.

All the best,

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

What a terrific weekend with Charmouth at Warley, in the excellent company of Ray Norwood and Mudmagnet (of this Forum) and Martin.P (not of this Forum)

Charmouth ran like a dream after the recent trials and tribulations, and my thanks to everyone who who made such kind comments about it.

It was scary to think of the amount of time I actually spent tidying up and refurbishing the layout; At first I thought there were one or two areas that needed upgrading, but the problem is that as soon as you refurbish one bit, other areas start looking tatty. Having assumed I had plenty of time, the list of jobs just kept getting longer, and I was still working on it on Thursday night.

It was great to show Charmouth again after such a long time, I had forgotten how nice it is to operate, less stressful than Bridport.

I had planned this to be a one-off outing, but I received several definite invitations, so we shall see.

Hi Dave

Thank you for the weekend helping you at Warley. I had a fanastic time with you/Martin and Richard.

Again a BIG thank you.

Happy Modelling. RAY70B

We had a great weekend with Charmouth.

It's been 4 years since I last had chance to run trains on Charmouth (the first time for Ray).

What a major pleasure and fun to run and shunt. A goods train easily taking 30 mins to shunt, with passenger trains running between.

Obviously important to keep something running as much as possible as the viewers had paid to see something running well.

Yes, the 'new' changes blend in very well and do add a little more to the 'feel' of Charmouth.

Lets hope that Dave can bring Charmouth out again soon somewhere. Unfortunately I did not get much chance to take any photos.

Thanks for letting us have ago again. Richard

Thank you, Richard and Ray, for all your help with operating, company, and good humour (especially while waiting for food in the evening)

And sorry for dragging you away from wet & windy Devon and that you had to endure the two-hours of queuing on the motorway on Sunday night.

I reached home on the stroke of midnight, Martin will have been later as he had to get back to Paignton

Heres to the next time!

Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think you should have got a big pot of sky blue and did the wall behind. Those low level shots really show off your excellent modelling but the wall jars a little. Perhaps a sky board behind for photos would work. Mind you I love the photos wall or no wall.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I think you should have got a big pot of sky blue and did the wall behind. Those low level shots really show off your excellent modelling but the wall jars a little. Perhaps a sky board behind for photos would work. Mind you I love the photos wall or no wall. Don

Good point Don, perhaps I need to give it a quick skim of plaster first in order to hide the shape of the bricks before painting it blue. Trouble is it would be like my long intended project to construct a diorama for photographing locos and stock; there always seems to be something more important to do!

Cheers, Dave.

HI Dave

Looking very good ,did you take the photo's useing the day light bulbs?,Wish i had been with you at Warley ,would have loved to have a go at running some loco's.

Keep up the fine work and photo's comming.

All the very best

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

As previously mentioned, Charmouth and Bridport will be out and about in 2014, but not both at the same time!

Bridport Town will be at "Trainwest" Melksham on 12 & 13 April:  http://www.trainwest.org.uk/  Not sure if theres an RMweb thread running yet.

Charmouth will be appearing at Exeter on 31 May & 1 June:  http://www.exemrs.co.uk/Exhibition.html  

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80454-exeter-2014/  This marks the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Exe Model Railway Society.

Charmouth will also appear at Railwells, on 9 & 10 August:  http://www.railwells.com/railway_show/

And one of the layouts, not sure which one yet, will be at the Thorncombe Exhibition in Somerset on Saturday 8th November: https://sites.google.com/site/traclubsite/   

2013 show thread here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76459-thorncombe-modelex-2013/page-2

More details nearer the time.

All the best, and Happy New Year,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the show details I will try and catch you at one. Although I keep finding things clashing I had fancied Melksham but I am doing something with slightly larger NG at Peterborough that weekend. I only had a short time at Warley so did get to see that much although Bob Harper did get me running a narrow gauge train.

Regards Don

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Starting to get Charmouth ready for Exeter in three weeks time, evicting spiders, hoovering up their webs, mending fences etc, etc.

Cheers, Dave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to seeing this Sunday and I see Maristow is also promised.

Don

Come and say Hi Don.  Maristow is indeed there and set up, and we are back to back with Tormouth Quay

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Saw this at Exeter today - astonishing modelling.

J.

Thanks J, I don't think you introduced yourself?  Were you the lad who kept coming back on Saturday afternoon?

Just been looking at your modelling threads, and left a couple of comments.

Cheers,

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Charmouth was as good as I expected at the show. It was nice to have a chat Dave. I spent an hour or so operating Maristow on Sunday which was nice.

Don

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Trying to get Charmouth ready for Railwells in a weeks time.  Dug away some of the junk surrounding the it, and took a boot-full to the recycling centre.  I can see the layout now!

Its only two months since the Exeter show, so not too many repairs to do.

Running was suffering from some of the rails getting bumpy (most of the track was laid in 1984) and my huge thanks to the visitor at Exeter who suggested rubbing a large oilstone along the railheads to even things out; sorry I cant remember who it was.  Anyway, its worked a treat!  I ran a felt-tip pen along the railheads first so I could see where it was being ground away and was amazed by the number of bumps and dips.  Running is much smoother now.

Dave.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the comments Chris (and all the "likes") will you be coming to Wells or is it a bit too far?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the comments Chris (and all the "likes") will you be coming to Wells or is it a bit too far?

Cheers, Dave.

No problem Dave, great layout(s). Bit to far for a day trip and I'm already allocated to household duties that weekend. Pity, would love to see the layout.