Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for the comments guys, and many thanks to Mudders for the latest photos.  Your sleepers are in the post by the way.

Its true that most of the track was laid in 1984, but some of it dates from as late as 1990.  Some of the locos have been running for all that time and are VERY well run-in, and in one case almost to the point of being worn out.  With that in mind I have three more locos I want to build, but DON'T hold your breath.  Currently doing a few minor repairs to stock following Wells, mainly due to the early wagons starting to self-destruct.  And the station chimney fell off.

The Garratt is a bit of a personal indulgence and makes only occasional appearances, usually on the Sunday afternoon of a show.  Likewise the Baldwin Gas Mechanical has been a favourite ever since I saw Moelwyn on the FR, and when the kit appeared I had to justify it.  Its unlikely that it would have had sufficient range to reach Charmouth, and would be confined to Bridport and the harbour tramway.

All the best,

Dave.

Likewise the Baldwin Gas Mechanical has been a favourite ever since I saw Moelwyn on the FR, and when the kit appeared I had to justify it.  Its unlikely that it would have had sufficient range to reach Charmouth, and would be confined to Bridport and the harbour tramway.

All the best,

Dave.

If ever an excuse was needed for some colourful interwar petrol cans, or military surplus "flimsies" (not jerry cans please, they were a WW2 invention in Allied service), then this sounds like it. If there is insufficient space to stack some on board, how about a dedicated open wagon/tender rather like a Scottish pug? After all, the steamers must have paused for water along the line, why not allow the Baldwin a moment for refreshment as well?

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice idea John, I'll look into it.  It would certainly need a tender of some sort, there is precious little space on the loco.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Dave

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

With the Barnstaple show looming up in a weeks time, I had better put in a bit of work on Charmouth.

This time its tidying up/refurbishing the bits that DIDN'T get done for Warley 2012; namely the embankment behind the mainline and the area around the level crossing, these being the last bits to be built.

The main problem is the Woodland Scenics foliage that over time fades to a sort of overall browny-yellow colour.  I've still got the original packets bought when I was building the layout and they've been stored in a box, in a cupboard, so they've not had the chance to fade.

1843776382_IMG_7946small.jpg.91a9cf1741c0e3f0ea5f0237361c7336.jpg

1940936263_IMG_7954small.jpg.8f87f0fa6381734731f10b9d5570a628.jpg

65526808_IMG_7944small.jpg.691b9ff4d09dfac5a8e756ef512c7fd1.jpg

961577802_IMG_7950small.jpg.9cc1a226b2e63f3c816f4325e05d6119.jpg

357702840_IMG_7952small.jpg.6cfd60e5a2dfb14544bfdafef263576a.jpg

Hmm, some of the grass is looking a bit threadbare as well

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Here some progress photos of Woodland Scenics applications.  Even the stuff that I added three years ago has faded a bit, so it shouldn't take long for it all to harmonise.

967114072_IMG_7956small.jpg.a04a0d63230e01d84a28ece5ec7ddc0d.jpg

705734046_IMG_7957small.jpg.f6a3b693ae6fe921220765a7f6cb6a9f.jpg

291758361_IMG_7961small.jpg.cf9c05c05a4eaa399e375d974752e358.jpg

More when I've finished.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I suppose it is realistic after all the real stuff fades in the sun. Apart from the plastic bags that first photo looks just like todays landscapers are there, just hack away and leave stuff all over the place :jester:  Today we tried the footpath onto the Dunes and where the mad strimmer had been it was knee deep, no attempt to clear a path. I had to carry the little terrier. I have no doubt it will look just like the old days when it was mostly hand tools and men who were proud to do a 'proper' job.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it is realistic after all the real stuff fades in the sun. Apart from the plastic bags that first photo looks just like todays landscapers are there, just hack away and leave stuff all over the place :jester:  Today we tried the footpath onto the Dunes and where the mad strimmer had been it was knee deep, no attempt to clear a path. I had to carry the little terrier. I have no doubt it will look just like the old days when it was mostly hand tools and men who were proud to do a 'proper' job.

Don

Hi Don,

I have since been round with the brush and the hoover, so it looks a bit tidier now.  I guess the plastic bags would like right for today's scene, but mine are a tad overscale....

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

All cleaned up and ready to go. All hedge cuttings and plastic bags swept away.

I even found time to add some fresh blue paint to the sky, which had been taking on a grey-ish tinge.

1828153980_IMG_7963small.jpg.94da586b3259f76552c1bd3b40020709.jpg

476807695_IMG_7965small.jpg.845d0f4c8dc4e6ce6676b650e3386e7a.jpg

1734874147_IMG_7966small.jpg.3a77c5d835a72a2b9b8201f8750a1e1a.jpg

Yes I know, there's a bit of fence-rail missing.

See you on Saturday,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

All cleaned up and ready to go. All hedge cuttings and plastic bags swept away.

I even found time to add some fresh blue paint to the sky, which had been taking on a grey-ish tinge.

attachicon.gifIMG_7966 small.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7965 small.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7963 small.jpg

Yes I know, there's a bit of fence-rail missing.

See you on Saturday,

Dave.

There often is a bit of fence missing in real life Dave. All looking fine. Maintenance of the scenics often gets overlooked.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Charmouth performed well at Barnstaple, and my thanks to everyone who came and said nice things about the layout.

We kept losing power in the fiddle yard, the cause was one of the brass wipers that contact the sides of the cassettes losing its springiness, and eventually breaking off.

When I got home I cut a new strip from a piece of hard springy brass I found in the bottom of my bits box, and I'm pretty sure its the same piece that the originals were cut from when I built it in 1990.  

That's the first repair I've ever had to do on the fiddle yard, not bad for 25 years!  

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2