Pictures of Charmouth

DLT

• RMweb Gold

Pretty Good for 25 years  Doesn't time fly I remember being impressed when I first saw the layout in the modeller. cannot be far off 20 years since we first met operating Marristow.  Charmouth really is a delightful layout.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More electrical problems appeared on Charmouth when I set up again at home.  A completely open circuit on one section.  Investigated the switch panel, which is a simple row of on/off switches, with a strip of brass soldered across the contacts for "common return".  Started prodding around and the brass strip fell off completely!  Dry joints across the whole thing, well it is thirty years old.  So after a good solid soldering job, that should be an end to the electrical issues.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for bringing Charmouth. Sorry didn't get much time for a chat or photos!

Just goes to show that a layout built all those years ago can still be a successful exhibition layout!

Thanks very much for the invite!

Charmouth has another outing booked for next year, the excellent Railex Show at Aylesbury.  Thread here:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100847-railex-2016/

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I once went to Charmouth on holiday, I am currently modelling another 0-16.5 scale layout on a place called Lower Eype, which is actually nearby.

Did you know that a standard gauge railway was proposed to go through Charmouth from Lyme Regis to Bridport?

A purely inspirational layout, I hope to see it in the future!  

• RMweb Premium

I once went to Charmouth on holiday, I am currently modelling another 0-16.5 scale layout on a place called Lower Eype, which is actually nearby.

Did you know that a standard gauge railway was proposed to go through Charmouth from Lyme Regis to Bridport?

Hi,

Thanks very much for the compliment, Charmouth's next outing is to Railex in Aylesbury next May; see this thread  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100847-railex-2016/

Glad to hear of more narrow gauge set in Dorset, will you be putting it on the forum?

Could the SG line you are referring to be the proposed coastal route to Exeter from Dorchester?  I've no idea where it might have run, lots of scope for "might have been" layouts.

All the best,

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave, Having see Charmouth at Warley a couple of years back and  just had a most enjoyable half hour re reading most of this and looking at the pics, I'm getting inspired. I've just got back from Bala  and I'm getting SLOWLY HOOKED on Welsh Narrow Gauge (I feel a layout coming on) having popped into Porthmadoc as well whilst there, and so I'll be back for another look again soon.

Do you have any overall shots along the line please?

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Little bit of upgrading work in progress, prior to the trip to Railex in May.  Some of the yard huts are showing their age as the original Slaters Plasticard corrugated iron is getting decidedly brittle, with bits falling off the edges of the roofs.

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/11/2015 at 16:58, Andrew P said:

Hi Dave, Having see Charmouth at Warley a couple of years back and  just had a most enjoyable half hour re reading most of this and looking at the pics, I'm getting inspired. I've just got back from Bala  and I'm getting SLOWLY HOOKED on Welsh Narrow Gauge (I feel a layout coming on) having popped into Porthmadoc as well whilst there, and so I'll be back for another look again soon.

Do you have any overall shots along the line please?

Sorry Andy, forgot all about your request for some overall photos!  Will these fit the bill?

Cheers, Dave.

PS  These were taken some time ago, before the changes detailed recently.

IMG_4566.jpg.c56ed9d50bfa2239ee756a40d773a36b.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg.4507b4e93a8016bde699663f6e4214ad.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 19

I have just spotted this post and it took me right back!  Many, many years ago, back in the early to mid 1960s, we had several family holidays at Eype.  Whilst there we would go for long walks around the area and my late father and myself dreamt up this imaginary light railway that terminated at Eype!  Not sure that it would necessarily have been narrow gauge but it would almost certainly have had Arthur Pain buildings as we also visited the Hemyock branch during the same holidays.  Must be something about the topography of West Dorset that gets the imagination going!

Gerry

P.S. Eype continues to have a powerful hold on me and I still visit as often as I can - all to do with the nostalgia of childhood holidays and simpler times I guess.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2016 at 16:06, DLT said:

Little bit of upgrading work in progress, prior to the trip to Railex in May.  Some of the yard huts are showing their age as the original Slaters Plasticard corrugated iron is getting decidedly brittle, with bits falling off the edges of the roofs.

Dave.

The feedstore was my first corrugated iron building, and has had a bit of a patch up and some detailing.

Hmm, I think the signboard is way too big.

732134550_P1060483small.jpg.14b7eeb01865912778b013042b31b748.jpg

1870690796_P1060486small.jpg.e78c95b7d02fb7a4f3ef82bcdc0bc742.jpg

1866792678_P1060491small.jpg.c5231ddec249b6c580ae0ecf023bcecb.jpg

Edited by DLT
  • Like 11

Sorry Andy, forgot all about your request for some overall photos!  Will these fit the bill?

Cheers, Dave.

PS  These were taken some time ago, before the changes detailed recently.

attachicon.gifIMG_4566.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4570.jpg

Superb Dave, Thanks, I like the latest ones as well, and I think the sign is dead right.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I was asked on the Narrow Gauge Forum to post some photos of the carriage shed at Charmouth.  its missed out before, being in a very awkward position to photograph, squashed against the backscene behind the station.  But I've taken some and with Railex coming up, I'll share them on here.  You can see that the station rear is completely blank.

267271686_P1060542small.jpg.5dc3f4e986b4123b5e70621a787dd991.jpg

1108640588_P1060544small.jpg.2adbc3ba06be5defa8587d90e844a921.jpg

Had to remove the station building to get a good view of the shed entrance.  Dimensionally the profile is modelled on the standard-gauge GWR shed at Helston, but built to a scale of 5mm/foot to reduce its size to narrow-gauge proportions.  The length was set by the need (at the time) to store three Peco 4-wheel coaches.

Modelwise, its built entirely of stripwood and plywood of various thicknesses; the cladding being 1/32inch birch ply, from a model aircraft shop.  I added a minimal amount of interior framing detail, just where it might be seen by a casual glance.

234065972_P1060554small.jpg.24f4fa0dab53c93825290a0c11a711e0.jpg

The view from the road; again a difficult place to get a camera of any size into.

1585804929_P1060566small.jpg.30fec50a7abde8513c5068a8bd7cccc3.jpg

The alleyway leading to the shed, between the Station Building and the Parcels Shed.

430393674_P1060570small.jpg.76206c281c888d3cf4f801b89502a695.jpg

Hope this is of interest,

Cheers, Dave.

PS  The cobwebs WILL be cleaned off before Railex....

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This really is a most delightful model That picture of the outside of the carriage shed with the sign the gates the bored looking porter seem so realistic typical of stations so much of the time. Nothing happening (or at least nothing visible) maybe in an hours time it will spring to life with the arrival of a train. 

Don

edit Dave probably won't make you wait an hour for a train at exhibitions!

Edited by Donw