Felton Lane (Goods). West Durham in the 1940's.

Worsdell forever

Paul -

Like someone else a few posts back, I've just had the pleasure of finding your thread. Excellent work! I must say that I was fooled by the scale/gauge (as in trackwork) I saw reference in one photo to 'EM' gauges. Do you use them for checkrail clearances or were they just there to fool us? G>

I would suggest if this is the result of being struck by a clod batter pudding - they'd better start selling 'em in Sainsbury's....

Regs

Ian B

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Glad you found it and are enjoying it. I was using part of the EM gauge, the check gauge, as it is 16.5mm. the more gauges the better when building track. In EM and 'finescale' 00 the clearances are the same.

It's Curtains for Felton Lane...

Curtains are now made thanks to my mother, Susan. I thought the drawing with the measurements were a great mothers day gift last weekend... ducks to avoid incoming.

It is attached to the layout with 'tonneau cover' fastenings, the female part sewn to the curtain and the male screwed into the layout. The second photo shows the parts, with a spare sew on male.

post-7104-126911803192_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126911882372_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Looking good as ever Paul,

can't wait to see it at Bishop in May

I'm suprised you got away with that on mothers day, all i would get is a s*d off smile.gif

cheers

Simon

It was Saturday night actually and she loves sewing!

• RMweb Gold

It's all under control...

Control panels have been made. The boxes (150mm x 80mm x 50mm are some left over from a job at work a few years ago and were from RS. I prefer to use the larger push-to-make switches as I have had the small cheap ones fail, especially with the power of a CDU going through them.

The panel on the right is for the points and has the socket for the controller, either DC or DCC. the one on the left is for the uncoupling magnets, the rotary switch selects the magnet and the button energises it. The space behind the switches on this panel will have the track diagram showing the positions of the magnets and the point switches.

post-7104-126953459322_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126953461155_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126953462586_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Was it all under control? well not really...

The first problem was when I had put the plug on my new controller AC and DC had been reversed, this was soon rectified (pun not intended!). The next problem was two wires missing so three 9in lengths of track were dead, I thought this was strange as it all ran ok a while back when I ran it with power temporarily conected. The third problem was stiff point mechanisms, which took about 3 hours to sort. Oh and the expected point motors wired the wrong was round. But it all seems to be working ok now, just wait until it's first exhibition...

• RMweb Gold

Undergrowth and overgrown...

The left hand end of the platform had been cut back sometime after the withdrawal of the passenger service and the stone used elsewhere. This end has become overgrown and the fence mostly collapsed.

The fence is built from Evergreen strip, 60thou for the posts, 60 x 15 for the rails and 40thou for the palings. It has since been roughly painted with Humbrol 110 and weathered with black powder.

post-7104-126989753456_thumb.jpg

post-7104-126989757295_thumb.jpg

The fence at the more public end has been kept in a much better condition although not quite as well as most passenger stations. This fencing is from Slaters.

post-7104-126989755965_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Scenic work around the coal depots is now almost complete, with some detail work still to be done, the large scales have been fitted, stored in one of the cells.

post-7104-127042239478_thumb.jpg

post-7104-127042241033_thumb.jpg

In the goods yard the yard crane has been installed. This is a D&S kit that I built well over 10 years ago but never had anywhere to put it until now, the base is a section of plastic tube covered with Scalescenes brick, the top is scribed card.

post-7104-127042268315_thumb.jpg

The water crane is a Mikes Models NER platform mounted one and like the yard crane I built it years ago, it has been recessed into the platform so is flush with the surface.

post-7104-127042270873_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Gardening...

All the gardens on Pease Row are now finished, seen in the photo before the fences were put up, all that needs to be done now is to make and hang the gates.

The fence at the rear of the unused part of the platform has been painted/weathered and is now well and truly overgrown.

post-7104-12707580454_thumb.jpg

post-7104-127075805588_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Gadgies...

After spending a small fortune on Monty's figures at York, I thought I should get them painted. Here are 5 of the first 6 (the policeman as already been installed), there are plenty more to go at with figures for the coal yard next.

post-7104-127119048982_thumb.jpg

I've just found this and it's awsome! My wife has been sugesting I build a layout based in the NE (she was brought up in Seaham) but being a softy Southener I have given it a deaf ear. But this is so good I might just give into her. ( I also love the NE and it's locos)

Bob

• RMweb Gold

There's no business like show business...

With Felton Lane's first outing less than 2 weeks away I have set it up to do some test running, set up the lights and carry out any necessary tweaks.

While playing trains testing I made a short film so you can see how it runs, it's far from perfect yet with clearances in the points needing to be adjusted a little and the point blade clearances under the bridge need opening up a little. But overall I'm quite pleased with how it runs. let me know what you think.

Paul - very nice indeed. I particularly like the attention to the little details like the telegraph pots on the bridge... Where are you based, & where are you exhibiting?? (My club is always on the lookout for good layouts!)(Thats why I don't exhibit!)

Regs

Ian B

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the coments folks!

Simon, only a week to go! can you contain yourself?

Bry, Glad you like it.

Ian, It will be exhibited around the north east, starting with Bishop Aukland next Sun/Mon, so a little out of your area, sorry.

Taking a step back before diving in...

I've watched my video a couple of times and have decided to check the back to backs of the tender and brake van that were jumping about before messing with the track as it seems to be these that are causing the most concern. then I will check all stock that will be used as this will be easier than sorting the track especially if it is not at fault.

• RMweb Gold

Back to backs checked and all is now running a lot smoother now.

Thank you for your support, I shall always wear it...*

While the layout is up I took a few photos of the legs (don't get exited out there!) to show how the layout is supported. There are two of these leg units on board 1 and one on board 2, there are two diagonal braces, one on each board and one each way. Board 3, being small, only has a diagonal strut to support it.

I hope the photos are self explanitory.

*Henry Crun - The great bank robbery.

post-7104-127222460814_thumb.jpg

post-7104-127222462122.jpg

post-7104-127222463017.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A

Looks great Paul - Can't wait to see it this weekend!

Regards

Dave

I hope it lives up to everyones expectations unsure.gif .

For those of you who didn't know Felton Lane will be at Bishop Aukland on Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd May. Please come and say hello, I don't bite, honest, wacko.gif

Archived