NRM Flying Scotsman (2011)

Coldgunner

• RMweb Gold

I'm picking mine up from York on the 15th Oct, pre ordered it during the weekend 103 was at York on the table and i have between the 2nd Oct and the 20th to pick it up, a Midland Compound is also being picked up by moi the same day!

Now that I've heard that the black Flying Scotsman comes with deflectors I'll be ordering one.

You mention that at the same time you collect 103 you will pick up a Midland Compound.....does this mean that you have also pre-ordered a Midland Compound or you plan on buying one on the 20th without a preorder?

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

poor old scotsman lets hope we see the legend run again soon .may have been cheper to biuld another .just one thing after another

What do you mean "May". Odds on cert if you consider what Tornado cost. They even got a far better machine for the price with that one.

Just how much has it cost to keep this thing going?

Seeing that very little can be original any way there is no rational way the expenditure can be justified.

Bernard

What do you mean "May". Odds on cert if you consider what Tornado cost. They even got a far better machine for the price with that one.

Seeing that very little can be original any way there is no rational way the expenditure can be justified.

Bernard

Hopefully the results of the investigation into the debacle will be made public. It seems to have cost more than a new one now even after you discount the purchase price.

The boiler was essentially new anyway apart from the wrapper. Its the old bits of frames that let it down. Its also held up other projects while its got its remedial work.

It probably would have been better to put the old frames on a wall somewhere and make some new ones!

This has been discussed many times.

From what I have read the only "possible" original parts are the Cab Roof and Footplate.

I have no idea how or to whom the NRM justify the money has been spent or what action they are taking against the restoring company to recover the costs of a bodged repair ?

The frames have been changed on numerous occasions over the years as there was a pool of frames as the A1/A3 had numerous problems with frames cracking.

On reflection which is easy to say now they should have made new ones at the start of this debacle. But why on earth did they not crack test the frames/other parts etc before renovating ? The only excuse I have read they didnt know there were cracks in the Hornblocks was? that they were hidden by oil !!

Early on in the overhaul, according to photographs at the time, the frames were taken outside and shot-blasted, before being painted in a red-oxide undercoat. I can’t imagine the cracks were hidden by dirt, the loco was taken back to the metal.

Why wasn't a full inspection done at the time of undercoating? And I don’t just mean visual inspection, but an ultrasonic inspection of the platework around areas of mechanical stress? If this was done, why were these cracks missed.

Having watched various overhauls from afar over about 15 years, it is normal to get the core mechanical stuff right first time. The normal post-overhaul adjustments are normally valve related or the odd weap in the boiler, or occasionally something more serious, but I would postulate that even apparently sound boilers can be something of an unknown quantity.

Suddenly this decade there have been two cases where finished (6100) or nearly finished (4472) locomotives are dismantled due to major problems with the chassis. Both these cases have been professional overhauls. I have not heard of a major heritage railway, restoring a loco with volunteer labour, only to take it to pieces to rectify newly discovered faults. OK I can think of SECR P 323 Bluebell where new platework was found to be needed on the firebox, but this was before the boiler went into the frames. The work was carried out, despite this meaning it missed the Bluebell 50 Gala. The bluebell team’s attitude, ‘lets get it done properly’.

One key difference comes to mind - contracted work is done to budget and importantly a timeline. With volunteer overhauls, the 'it will be ready when its ready' rule seems to apply. It may be frustrating, but the evidence suggests things are got right.

This is not to slate all contract work, Bittern has appeared to be fundamentally sound (again aside from iirc unusual valve wear) since it was overhauled, certainly in the mechanical department, and that really did have *MAJOR* surgery below the waist line!

While there are proably some valid questions, a this stage, everyone needs to cut the NRM some slack. The job needs to be done properly, however long it takes, and tens of enthusiasts whinging will not help. Lets be thankful the faults were found NOW, and didn’t appear during a water stop half way up the ECML; that would really be a blow for mainline steam.

Let’s all hold tight.

Don't get me wrong, I think there should be a full investigation into why these cracks were missed, but my personal opinion is the the locomotive is worth more to the country in full working order than the price she was bought for. The company who missed the cracks should be forced to pay for the further repairs.

Lets hope she's in steam soon.

G-BOAF - You're words are music to my ears, I wholeheartedly agree.

Bernard

could not agree with you more shame we dont have a3 trust .none of its origanal

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread here, I've just picked one of these up (memento of my last university jaunt to York NRM before I graduated). How easy are the deflectors to fit? I actually like the aesthetic of them and it produces an unusual looking engine (which is also what I like :) )

Archived