Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Bob Symes - 70's modelling programme

dave flint

Jacqui Perratt of Ceynix Trees is a friend of his - I recall when she was a member at Ely they used to go over for a running weekend on his garden railway each year. I used to thoroughly enjoy his programmes in the 70s and I'm pleased he's still with us and encouraging people into the hobby.

I remember the Horsted Keynes project - right from measuring up the prototype to a running an exhibition standard layout.

One of the builders was Jack Kine himself, of the BBC Visual Effects department. I wish I could obtain a DVD of the series.

According to Wikipedia (usual disclaimer) his full moniker is Robert Alexander Baron Schutzmann von Schutzmansdorff.

Bob Symes probably fits better on his chequebook...

Also according to the same article he's from an Austrian, rather than German, family.

Jeremy

[edited for spelling!! :nono: ]

I believe he collaborated with Stewart Hine on a couple of projects.

Speaking of Stewart Hine, Does anyone remember his 2mm scale model of 2881? Talk about scratch building ! All the wheels scratch built as well as a 7 pole motor, custom made to fit into the boiler Incredible modelling in the 1970s. One wonders what he could produce today given the technical advancements that have been made in the hobby over the past 40 odd years?

I remember Stewart Hine visiting my local club occasionally with various 2mm models he had produced including, on one occasion, a 1:152 scale cat!

HSB

In 2003 i stumbled upon (almost literally) The Austrian Railways bi-yearly show at Selzthal south of Salzburg, and what a show.

Walking round the roundhouse, i bumped into Bob Symes who was holding a conversation with an Austrian friend.

Not wanting to miss the opportunity i interrupted them and said hello (the usual i used to watch you on Model world as a kid etc etc, and he was extremely nice, asking me about me thoughts for the event, was i there on holiday, did i like the area etc?

Was a great guy and was there himself to video (his own production company) the Selzthal steam festival. This video from Utube (not his work but private) will give you an idea what it was like, but his DVD was terrific and highly recommended.

Health and Safety? thats for the British.

cheers

Dave

IIRC I've seen him credited as Symes-Schutzmann. Good point though :)

That is how his original Model Railway Constructor articles about his 'Payerbrook and Fairlie' OO layout were credited.

He was heavily involved in the production of 'Tomorrow's World' and occasionally appeared in the background doing something 'technical'.

Guest oldlugger

Bob is one of my all time favourite TV presenters. I used to love his model railway shows; he has such style and charisma. He manages to involve his audience, even non railway enthusiasts, in a way that others don't. I'm sure he was responsible for introducing many people into the hobby during the 1970's.

Cheers

Simon

In 2003 i stumbled upon (almost literally) The Austrian Railways bi-yearly show at Selzthal south of Salzburg, and what a show.

Thanks for that video. It's the sort of thing I used to enjoy watching on the Eisenbahn Romantik TV programmes.

Following this topic I'm begining to think we 're starting a Bob Symes Appreciation Society.. :good: .

I remember being fascinated by Bobs shows in the 70s. Back then I was more interested in military modelling but still remember being very impressed by the Horsted Keynes project. Much later I found him presenting the "Lineside Look" videos. I did hear that he's not a big fan of "steamless" layouts but don't know if there's any truth in that? His enthusiasm was always infectious and it's good to know people who have met him speak very highly of him.

Like the rest of you I have fond memories of the series-I seem to remember Aster G1 steam featuring-poss. a King & train ??

Also someone mentioned Robbo Ormiston -Chant-when I first started taking the Modeller ( 1970 )and for several years afterwards, the letters page was not complete without a submission from this good gentleman,initially signed in full as a member of the M.M.R.S and latterly just as "Robbo,Manchester"....and often with the postscript " I think that covers it gentlemen....C.J.F"*

*paraphrasing here

ATB

Nick

I much enjoyed the two series on prototype railways he co-presented 10 to 15 years (I think it was called "Making Tracks"?). Unfortunately the BBC decided to screen them at odd times in the afternoon when only toddlers and bored housewives were likely to be watching. I only discovered it by accident but I think it was one of the most interesting railway series that has ever been on and it's a great shame they weren't allowed to make more.

HSB

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of dozen Bob Symes videos on YouTube. Just search using his name.

This is a nice one to start with and there's a glimpse of his Brush Type 4 in action.....

Search result

Same for Eisenbahn Romantik There must be over 100 videos from that series ! :D

Sorry it's taken me a while to catch up and say thanks for those links. It's nice to watch an Eisenbahn R programme from the start. :) I always seemed to find them on some obscure channel when they were half way through. When the programme ended they would let you know when the next one was due to be shown...but it rarely was. Days and times were always changed. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I met Bob Symes at Brighton Modelworld for the first time in 2004. We run a ground level 7 1/4" track and Bob always came and had a trip as he knew quite a few of the engineers. He had a GWR diesel railcar on show in, I think, 2006 and I had quite a chat with him about the model as I had just purchased an N gauge version. His skill as an engineer was evident in the construction of the railcar and he was happy to show off the controls which he had recovered from an old speedboat!

Great man to talk to.

The railcar is called 'Monica' after Bob's first late wife, and to be fair, he didn't build it, but had it built for him. it's a fun machine, but suffers terribly from being constructed with a timber body, which really isn't up to being transported. A prototype like that is begging to be laser cut from steel (and probably much quicker to make, as well!)

Bob's a real Gentleman, and very hospitable, and I'm sure enjoys sharing his passion for railways in all shapes and sizes!

Checked out Robbo Ormiston-Chant on a search engine, he passed away in 1994.

Edward

Yes, I remember that Robbo died in 1994. I think I recall that Robbo actually featured on Bob Symes' 1970s TV Programme once, clad in boiler suit and demonstrating something. Even as a teenager back in the 1960s and with no real idea what Robbo was writing about I nevertheless always read his invariably long letters in the RM, MRC, etc. I always guessed he would delight some and infuriate others and I'm sure that someone wrote in the letters page of one magazine or other asking if he really existed!

Bob Symes has always come across to me as a real gentleman, a very skilled presenter but very natural with it. I think he could talk about anything for hours (even otherwise boring stuff) and I'd still happily sit and listen.

Steve.

The programme on military modelling feature the late Derek Guylar, who was a major exponent of the genre.

I found that he had a way of making the experts seem really interesting. When they showed the 2mm gauge layout, the operator explained how the who village fitted around the railway. The other people who worked with him on the show were great experts in their fields and the whole show fitted together well.

The open shots of the first model railway expisode were filmed in the home of one the Western MRS, and include his father, mother and the lad is his brother.

Archived