2mm couplings, options, choices and recommendations

bogieman

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to find out what such a jig looks like. I've heard of them, but never seen one. It would make life easier.

Essentially the jig had a coule of holes which measured the lengths for the bends and a cone turned on the end which gave the correct angle. Mine is still in a storage box if I come across it I will give you more info.

Don

For AJ's it really is worth reading the Scalefour book I mentioned. In the course or writing the book, the authors found developed a load of new jigs and techniques for assembly. They make folding up the wire parts and fitting them accurately much easier than the older methods. The jigs are very simple and can be made to suit any side.

The cone on the cylindrical jig is not really for angle setting, it just allows the first bend to be made beyond 90 degrees with the wire still held.

Nigel

In my view, in a word, no. Having played with a few layouts using Kaydee's (essentialy the same thing) they are not a patch on DG's in terms of flexibility and reliability when it comes to shunting.

Jerry

however, they will be easier to fit to ready to run stock.

still trying to figure out how to fit DG's to my stock without making it impossible to revert to 'standard' at a later date...

For AJ's it really is worth reading the Scalefour book I mentioned.

I've bought a couple of expensive books recently so I'll leave this one on the presents list. #

I have tried making hinged and coiled couplings (with Jim Watts help) and have done reasonably well. The hook is a bit long, but that is easily fixed. I struggled with setting and adjusting the wire once they were attached, and also with attaching a track pin for the magnet (as Jim describes).

Sorry, my mistake on Mick's use of Electra couplings... in regard to Dapol's latest offering, I think it's a huge mistake to put a knuckle coupler on the market that's incompatible with the one that's already there. Farish are - or at least were - said to be working on the same thing. Let's hope they've struck a deal with Mictrotrains to do an NEM compatible version.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think I mentioned it in my first reply but check Bryn's excellent blog entry here as he made a nifty jig.

I guess a lot of it is trial and error depending upon the type(s) of rolling stock you are attaching them too.

Edited by bcnPete

Page 67 of the "Beginner's Guide" has a picture of a simple jig for setting DGs, together with the suggestion that 4.5mm from top of rail to bottom of DG buffing plate is a suitable "standard" to aim for.

David

oooh, thats what i needed to know!

thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Been following this thread.

Who actually makes DG couplings? The reason I ask is that while these couplers appear to offer the best combination of reliability v appearance for small scale modelling, there appears to have been no product development or attempt to update and upgrade in the 30 years that they have been available.

For example, I am surprised that the maker does not offer DG etches with an alernative "base plate" that can be simply fitted into NEM sockets that nearly all modern stock has? Or what about producing a plastic component for the main "body" of the coupler, with clip in wire loops and delayed action tabs? This could be a simply clip fit, and far less daunting to those who are not comfortable with soldering etc.

Am I missing something? Perhaps the market is just too small to justify such a development, or the engineering challenges are too great?

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks David

Unfortunately my "Beginners Guide" only has 62 pages!!! Is that a typo or does my Guide have pages missing?

Not a typo - mine has 72 pages. Mine was 4th edition, dated 2006.

I believe work is progressing on a new edition, but don't think it is finished yet.

David

Who actually makes DG couplings?

I believe they are available from Wizard Models, among others - details of the designer/manufacturer are probably available from them.

For example, I am surprised that the maker does not offer DG etches with an alernative "base plate" that can be simply fitted into NEM sockets that nearly all modern stock has? Or what about producing a plastic component for the main "body" of the coupler, with clip in wire loops and delayed action tabs? This could be a simply clip fit, and far less daunting to those who are not comfortable with soldering etc.

Am I missing something? Perhaps the market is just too small to justify such a development, or the engineering challenges are too great?

I can't answer for the designers/manufacturers/suppliers, but the following may be among their reasons:

• There is probably no demand for changes from their existing client base - and they may not be adventurous enough to look outside that client base.
  • They already produce the etch in seven different sizes, which appear to be exactly the same etch scaled up/down appropriately. Adding one or more alternative fittings for each size, like the NEM socket which you suggest, would substantially increase the complexity of stockholding.
  • They may be unwilling to take make the experiment of reworking the design into plastic - I understand that this would involve a substantial investment, with uncertain returns.
  • The "fear of soldering" argument is overdone - it involves one soldered joint for each loop, and if you are uncomfortable with that much soldering you can instead bend up a more complex combined loop/dropper from iron/steel, instead of separate brass loop and iron dropper to be soldered together.

David

[Edited to remove home address of designer/manufacturer]

Edited by Gingerbread

Hello :)

And given these measurements has anyone designed a jig to enable one to set up the coupling on stock so that they are of a consistent setting.

Many thanks

PS a diagram or photo of such a jig(s) would be worth a thousand words!

OK, sounds like a good idea. My jig is nothing complicated, its simply a piece of brass stuck to the end of a short length of track at the right height...

post-2065-0-72774300-1332075116.jpg

Missy :)

• Like 3

Me again :)

cheers

Ben A.

Thats a bit of a coincidence! I have been pestering the 2mmSA to do NEM DGs for a while now and the reply was "well you design them and we will see" so on my latest sheet of etching I have had a play with some DGs to see if it is possible,,,

post-2065-0-22331300-1332075208.jpg

The 4 couplings to the left are two different designs for NEM DG couplings, the ones on the right are 3/4 2mm scale for my NG stuff. I dont know if they will work or not yet though as I have only just got them back from the etchers.

I like engineering challenges!

Missy :)

Edited by -missy-
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello Missy,

Yes - those designs are the kind of thing I had at the back of my mind when I posted. I'd be interested to see how you get on with them!

Also, in reply to an earlier post, I take the point that DG couplers can be made to work with very little soldering (or none at all) but the perception is that soldering is involved, however misguided it may be!

cheers

Ben A.

Thats a bit of a coincidence! I have been pestering the 2mmSA to do NEM DGs for a while now and the reply was "well you design them and we will see" so on my latest sheet of etching I have had a play with some DGs to see if it is possible,,,

I hope you are considering the copyright issues here. I don't know who you pestered in the Association, but it wasn't me as Products Officer and if you had, my answer would have been that we don't own the copyright and therefore are not able to redesign them for NEM pockets. We just sell them.

I suggest you contact D.G. Couplings if you have not already done so.

Chris

I gather from rail top it should be 4.5mm to bottom of DG buffer plate, is that correct?

Hi. Yes it should, sorry I missed that bit out but fortunately David kindly mentioned it previously.

M :)

I hope you are considering the copyright issues here. I don't know who you pestered in the Association, but it wasn't me as Products Officer and if you had, my answer would have been that we don't own the copyright and therefore are not able to redesign them for NEM pockets. We just sell them.

I suggest you contact D.G. Couplings if you have not already done so.

Chris

Chris, I wouldnt worry your pretty little head about it. I have spoken to quite a few people regarding the couplings and at this stage (which is just a bit of R&D) the concensus was its ok. I know I can rely on you to point things like this out though, so thank you. If DG at any time express any concerns then of course I will not continue, they are more than welcome to my design (if they want and not forgetting if it actually works!)

M :)

• RMweb Gold

I hope you are considering the copyright issues here.

Chris

What copyright issue? There might be a patent issue if the design is patented, but given that Missy has drawn her own artwork and it is significantly different there is no copyright issue IIRC.

Cheers, Mike

That explains it, mine is a 1st edition 1988. If there's a new one due it's hardly worth buying current one so can anyone send a scan of the relevant page 67 please until new one is ready? Thanks

Bogieman,

As David suggests, a new beginners guide is being prepared (I'm the one assembling it!). As I have all the files that were used in the previous edition, I will send you a copy of the diagram from page 67 and the accompanying text. As an aside, I can recommend the 'alternative' method of fitting a loop made from one piece of steel wire - it's a lot easier than soldering a steel dropper to the coupling loop.

Andy

Chris

What copyright issue? There might be a patent issue if the design is patented, but given that Missy has drawn her own artwork and it is significantly different there is no copyright issue IIRC.

Cheers, Mike

I think you will find that as the business end of the coupling is the same, changing details like how it is mounted may not be sufficiently different to protect people from copyright issues.

Trust me, I have encountered real difficulties in the past with these issues, even when there was no copyright issue (because the person involved had not noticed he was not the first person to actually invent the idea!) it still caused everyone a lot of hassle because that person just would not let it rest. It put a numebr of people to a lot of wasted time rebutting him.

So I won't worry my pretty little head about it, Missy. But someone might well have to.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I think you will find that as the business end of the coupling is the same, changing details like how it is mounted may not be sufficiently different to protect people from copyright issues.

Chris

Sorry to be a pedant but you can't copyright an idea/design. You can patent or apply for design rights, but copyright is different. Copyright would only apply to the artwork used in the etch design and even then would be pretty limited.

If anyone is at all worried about the differences then it is well worth having a quick read of the Intellectual Property Office guides: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types.htm

Cheers, Mike