Wrong way train

PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

Quite apart from the on train staff, how didn't the driver know? Is the Indian railway driver not given a destination and have route knowledge? The bit about avoiding a crash is ridiculous as it only says it went to the wrong place and nothing about travelling in the wrong direction against signals.

There's obviously a lot more to that story they haven't tried to find out.

An Indian train covering 980kms in 5 hours - that really is news!

However, just spending 5 minutes on Google maps

Tiraputi to Viranesi is about 1750 kms

Tiraputi to Vijayawada is about 425 kms at which point the train was wrongly signalled to Warangal which is about 240 kms further.

If it had gone direct from Vijayawada to Bhubaneswar (the next reported intermediate destination) it would have covered about another 830 kms.

If it could go direct from Warangal to Bhubaneswar it would be about 970kms (i.e. a deviation of 970 minus 830 = 140 plus 240 = 380kms).

So, worst case, if it backtracked from Warangal to Vijayawada and then reverted to its intended route, it should have deviated by a bit under 500 kms.

And being on the wrong route is not quite the same as being on the wrong track; there is nothing to say that it was not perfectly signalled - albeit perfectly wrongly.

In short, this looks like a piece of reporting that is well down to the normal journalistic standards.

Eric

• RMweb Gold

And being on the wrong route is not quite the same as being on the wrong track; there is nothing to say that it was not perfectly signalled - albeit perfectly wrongly.

Apart from this bit you mean ?

India's signalling system is run on codes but instead of entering the three-letters for its next intended stop Bhubaneswar (BBS) staff put in the code for Bilaspur (BSP) sending the train in completely the wrong direction.

Experts were amazed the service did not crash as it went for 600 miles on the completely wrong track.

Granted it could be taken either way, but it's doesn't say it didn't run wrong line ...

Sorry Dave, i'm im the camp that reads that as saying it went the wrong way, not wrong line - it says the destination was wrongly entered and everybody then followed that wrong routeing in the system, rather than it being a signalling error at a local level ending up with it wrong line.

<speculation> If it was in the system as going to another place entirely that might even mean that the driver was rostered to work the wrong route it took, rather than the route it should have taken, in which case he wouldn't have known!

Besides - how quiet a network would you have to have for something to run 250km (as per Eric above) wrong line without it being detected one way or another (including running into what's coming the other way as the, erm, ultimate method of detection!) ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Dave, i'm im the camp that reads that as saying it went the wrong way, not wrong line - it says the destination was wrongly entered and everybody then followed that wrong routeing in the system, rather than it being a signalling error at a local level ending up with it wrong line.

But it did say it was amazing it didn't crash - which wouldn't be the case if it had been on the right line (well I hope not!)

• 10 months later...

Being an Indain I can tell you that this was very much expected!! And I'm ashamed to actually say it.... The Indian Railways have just gone worse, IMHO it was better during its haydays during the British rule when there were mostly Anglos running them :no: Though I'm not saying this because I myself am an Anglo, many historians would tell you pretty much the same and so did my Grand dad, Great Grand dad . . . :O

Archived