Wigan Model Railway Exhibition

Andy Y

Tell us more......... :drink_mini:

Jon F.

The pub is called The red Robin, the food is reasonably priced and is very good, and is about a 2-3 min walk from the venue, (its opposite the Cinema)

so if you are in the foyer of the sports centre facing the DW stadium if you turn left, and walk to the end of the buildings, and then left again you will see it!!

Hope that's close enough to the venue for you!!! :lol:

The pub is called The red Robin, the food is reasonably priced and is very good, and is about a 2-3 min walk from the venue, (its opposite the Cinema)

so if you are in the foyer of the sports centre facing the DW stadium if you turn left, and walk to the end of the buildings, and then left again you will see it!!

There's also a Pizza Hut opposite The Red Robin and if I recall correctly a Frankie and Bennies close by too, well there was last time I was parked up down there.

There's also a Pizza Hut opposite The Red Robin and if I recall correctly a Frankie and Bennies close by too, well there was last time I was parked up down there.

Thanks for that!

Always look forward to the Wigan event and the line up looks excellent as usual. Always need a pint or 2 on exit though so the pub sounds a welcome bet.

Cheers

JF

Sam.

Could you or one of your colleagues help me out with the following ?

If I get a taxi from the Wigan station(s) to the venue what's the approx' fare ?

If I decide to walk from " " to the venue how long do you reckon it would take ?

Mac.

Sam.

Could you or one of your colleagues help me out with the following ?

If I get a taxi from the Wigan station(s) to the venue what's the approx' fare ?

If I decide to walk from " " to the venue how long do you reckon it would take ?

Mac.

I would say approx £5 for a taxi, (dependant on traffic,)

if walking then i would say roughly about 30 mins or so.

Thanks for that!

Always look forward to the Wigan event and the line up looks excellent as usual. Always need a pint or 2 on exit though so the pub sounds a welcome bet.

Cheers

JF

We got a flyer though today saying that the Red Robin are starting a new Carvery for £6 this weekend, so you can add that to your pint!!!

If anyone coming to the show is coming on the train into either of the Wigan train stations, Please note: the Bus Stops are out of service out side the North West Station due to the road works.

The next bus stop is outside Staples ( if you are outside North West Station, turn left, go under the bridge and cross the road, go outdoors is on your left and walk about 400 yards ahead and you will see Staples, and catch the bus from here)

Also the bus that goes past robin park does not start running till 11am on Sundays,

I would feel a lot more reassured if the forecast included the 9th, 10th & 11th, the weekend of the exhibition. However so long as snow and fog are not mentioned, then we are happy. Rain and drizzle we can cope with, as you say that's typical Lancashire weather.

Just a reminder that the Special Offer 4 for 3 Ticket will end at 10pm tonight, so if you still haven't got your tickets, and you want to get this offer you will need to be quick!!!!

Postal Order Forms will also be unavailable after 10pm tonight.....

The Single Ticket will be available to purchase until 2nd December @10pm

Looks like the snow shouldn't bother you this year.

A bit of damp; but that's unusual for Lancashire.

Mac.

Long range forecast from AccuWeather.com - SAT 10th - Sunny Spells and patchy cloud, temp high of 4 degrees.......

Sunday 11th - considerable cloud with a high of 7 degrees....

so NO SNOW!!!!! :sungum:

Long range forecast from AccuWeather.com - SAT 10th - Sunny Spells and patchy cloud, temp high of 4 degrees.......

Sunday 11th - considerable cloud with a high of 7 degrees....

so NO SNOW!!!!! :sungum:

I'd imagine that's a big relief for you Sam? Saturday looks the better day re' weather.

One thing I didn't understand was the comment about the fog affecting the show ?

..." However so long as snow and fog are not mentioned, then we are happy"...

Mac.

I'd imagine that's a big relief for you Sam? Saturday looks the better day re' weather.

One thing I didn't understand was the comment about the fog affecting the show ?

..." However so long as snow and fog are not mentioned, then we are happy"...

Mac.

One year we had really bad fog, it was so bad you couldn't see anything, think that was what Eaton meant about the fog!

To be honest, both days will be spent on the Information stand or help running Eaton Gomery, (if i can stand for that long - as it will be only 9 weeks since my knee op) so probably won't notice the weather....

If anyone coming to the show is coming on the train into either of the Wigan train stations, Please note: the Bus Stops are out of service out side the North West Station due to the road works.

The next bus stop is outside Staples ( if you are outside North West Station, turn left, go under the bridge and cross the road, go outdoors is on your left and walk about 400 yards ahead and you will see Staples, and catch the bus from here)

Also the bus that goes past robin park does not start running till 11am on Sundays,

Correct, except once you get to the Staples bus stop your'e nearly half way there. !! Cross over the main road dual carriageway at Staples, and continue south (the main road splits here into a sort of separate route dual carriageway, the northbound lane being shortest to walk), Continue over the canal bridge, under the railway bridge, over the river douglas bridge (all within about 100 yards) and walk into Asda car park. A surfaced & lit footpath to the RHS of Asda between it and the river takes you straight to the venue, or walk to the left & round the back of Asda, head across the huge car park to the gap between the shops in the far RH corner (300 yards), and your'e there. About 20-30 mins walk from either station. Not worth the bus if your'e OK to walk.

Brit15

This year we are co-operating with the RMweb to provide a number of detailed reviews of layouts at this year's exhibition. We have enlisted the services of a number of 'Guest Reviewers' whose opinions we value and have asked them to firstly make some general comments about the show, and we have stressed that these can be both positive or negative, and then to give an in-depth review of one of the layouts that they find particularly interesting. As most of our 'participants' are either Exhibition Managers or habitual exhibition atendees then we hope these reviews will be not only informative but also thought provoking. Mr. York was signed up as our first 'reviewer' and on Sunday will be casting his experienced eye over 'East Lynn and Nunstanton'.

We hope to have a live feed to the Rmweb within the main hall so that some of the reviews will be posted early in the weekend to give later visitors the benefit of our reviewers observations.

casting his experienced eye

I must remember to take it with me then if I can remember where I last put it as I've never used one before.

I'll probably have trouble editing and finishing any snaps on the fly on the day but they will follow as soon after as possible.

Not long to go now..... finally finished all the packs for the exhibition, so will get my dining room back next weekend.......

(well, for a short time, before i start all over again for the 2012 exhibition)

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of old friends, and meeting new ones......

Let's make the 2011 Wigan Exhibition something to remember before we move to warmer days..........

I'll be bringing a small Christmas tree with me, for the information stand ( hopefully H & S will allow us to put the tree up)!!!!!

Further information on our 'Guest Reviewers', now signed up together with myself and Andy are Les Nehrlich, Preston's Exhibition Manager, Terry Robinson, Stafford's Exhibition Manager and Dave Skipsey well known Modeller and Signal Expert. Need to see who else I can get to join the team. Applications invited.

Do we need a Trade representative? Do you think a Yorkshire man with strong opinions would fit the bill, or is this tempting providence.

Further information on our 'Guest Reviewers', now signed up together with myself and Andy are Les Nehrlich, Preston's Exhibition Manager, Terry Robinson, Stafford's Exhibition Manager and Dave Skipsey well known Modeller and Signal Expert. Need to see who else I can get to join the team. Applications invited.

Do we need a Trade representative? Do you think a Yorkshire man with strong opinions would fit the bill, or is this tempting providence.

I think you should ask him!! although i have a meeting with him on sat @3pm so as long as you have him back by then.......... as we know that we would get a straight answer with him :drinks:

Writing as an owner of an exhibition layout - these reviews are an interesting notion.

From the show's viewpoint, a review 'on the day' offers no publicity benefit, as the layout reviewed isn't going to return next year. Hence it won't draw custom.

From the public's viewpoint, a review 'on the day' is too late. Shows you what you missed, but so do impartial photographs. Or a review of the show. If I'm actually *at* the show, well I've the thing in front of me to view, and optionally the showguide should I wish background info.

I'm not sure, as a modeller and exhibitor, that I'd want to subject my model to review. I'd be happy enough to judge its success/appeal in the traditional manner, by interaction with the public and assessing what interest it gets. Yes, there is the precedent of competition, prizes, and judging. But usually in these cases the reasons for the judge's choice is given in a brief sentence or two. Sometimes not at all.

Would I want, by accepting an invite to a show, to risk a (for all I know) partisan individual tearing a shred off my modelling?

Put simply, I'm intrigued at the idea - it's expected benefits, who it's target audience / beneficiary is, when, and what they'd get from it?

• RMweb Gold

[we] have asked them to firstly make some general comments about the show, and we have stressed that these can be both positive or negative, and then to give an in-depth review of one of the layouts that they find particularly interesting.

Would I want, by accepting an invite to a show, to risk a (for all I know) partisan individual tearing a shred off my modelling?

:scratchhead:

........ Need to see who else I can get to join the team. Applications invited......

TIC - Do we get travelling Expenses (and if required overnight accommodation?)... :no:

Penlan - West Cornwall, Near Lands End, almost as far away as you can get from ..........

Archived