Smartswitch point control arrives in UK

making tracks

New arrival to the UK is the Smartswitch servo operated point control system for O , HO /OO and N gauges.

With 9 adjustable throw speeds, the servo unit and PCB supports Analouge and DCC power modes, and supports DCC routing.

In addition they perform live frog automatic switching - ensuring no short circuits. Also there are outputs for your indicator board and automatic signal switching.

These could also be used for many other operating features such as semaphore signal or level crossing gates.

There are some demonstration videos made by the manufacturer on YouTube.

Distributors are a company called Locolines Ltd on 01268 729499

http://www3.telus.ne...martswitch.html seems to be what is being talked about.

A sort of production version of the system you could previously assemble with bits from MERG. edit: Or you could buy the servo driving accessory decoder from ESU for DCC. The special bit is probably that it comes with the servos so you don't have to source them on eBay and custom mounting brackets for them.

From the US prices its competitive with Tortoise based solutions.

• RMweb Gold

NCE Switch-8 will provide DCC control for 8 turnouts for around £40, or £20 for a set of 4. So using these + Tortoises comes to £68 per set of 4 compared to £90 for the Smartswitch ones. So what do you get for the extra outlay? Tortoises have been around for a long time and have proven reliability. What's the reliability of these new ones?

Tortoises have two changeover switches built-in, one of which can be used for frog polarity and which would seem a much simpler solution than a "power routing frog". Plus looking at the parts you get for a set of these, it would seem to be a bit more work to install. Just my initial thoughts.

Since MERG was mentioned,

from MERG,

set of 4 Servos £12

Servo driver board £5.50

Relay board for polarity switching £9.00

Decoder £9.50

Total for 4 points £36, and you can delete any parts you don't need.

The £18 subscription is more than covered by the savings from the first 4 points.

Regards

Keith

The problem with a DCC decoder included is that it is a throw away item for those who use DC, thus offers no benefit.

However the TT300's are DCC ready so would make a suitable comparison, they are also simple "plug and play" not requiring the spaghetti of wires/ boards and switches that these or the MERG offering provide.

As with all these "new" entrants there are some positive characteristics but the main test is reliability and experience of use. Changing from what you know works to something that you have to take the manufacturer's word that it works with no distinct selling advantage (like the price) simply asks for risk takers.

My problem is that I have many Tortoises and can buy them at US prices when/if I need more. I have used them for years without any serious issue. I find them incredibly simple to install and operate. That is a big challenge for any newcomer to beat.

Do the above mentioned ones also come complete with a Stationary DCC decoder to work the 4 servos ?

Yes.

The downside with the MERG one is that you have to build the board up which is why I described this as a production version of that. If you can hold a soldering iron £36 vs £90 is a bit of a saving.

The TT300 doesn't seem to be a servo, its a motor that stalls in the same way as a Tortoise.It wouldn't be much use for other applications without some springy wire between it and the device due to the set range of movement.

Kenton, its hardly spaghetti, most DCC users are used to powering 4 or 8 motors from a central board, your DC system must be worse if you have wires going to board edges or back to a central panel compared to a 2 wire accessory bus and a 2 wire 12 volt dc bus?

For DC you'd save a small amount on this getting the one without DCC decoder if that one is sold in the UK.

• RMweb Gold

The problem with a DCC decoder included is that it is a throw away item for those who use DC, thus offers no benefit.

You can buy the Smartswitch in basic mode without the decoders, and also without the power routing frogs. All 4 options are described in the link in post #3.

You can buy the Smartswitch in basic mode without the decoders, and also without the power routing frogs.  All 4 options are described in the link in post #3.

Yes and it was the price on that linked site that I was using for comparison (ie without DCC vs Tortoise without DCC)

I cannot think of any use for a point motor that does not have frog switching built in - though I can see some use in signal control and crossing gates.

I see this as an example as another string to the bow but not one I would be persuaded to pluck just for point control - reliability and ease of use every time and for me cost has less bearing. So even if it was considerably cheaper (like the MERG solution) I wouldn't be trialing it.

Of course it is everyone's choice on what they experiment with in the hobby so it is always good to hear of such developments. But I willl continue to recommend Tortoise.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hello

anyone know website address based united kingdom of smartswitch point control because i dont want pay custom charge from canada to uk that why i am saving money and do want buy that slow point

thank you

Someone in theUK will have to pay those charges and then VAT. You could only "avoid" it if they were bought* in Canada and personally brought back in your luggage.

You might save the charge made by the courier to reclaim from customs but then set against that would be the shipping costs from the UK supplier who may add a considerable premium for exchange rate losses and personal profit margin.

In the end many of these items turn out to be more expensive if purchased in the UK. A perfect example is the Tortoise point motor, now close to double the price of one bought in a mail order shop in the US, shipped to a US address and then brought back in personal luggage (rendition).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Unless I am very much mistaken,they look like aircraft servos.

Which you can buy for under £5.00 and using a two pole switch to set the polarity,if you are using DC.

Darren01

• RMweb Premium

So has anyone used the smartswitch systems ??????

I have been using their system for operating my semaphore signals and they are also interlocked electrically with the respective points. They are easy to set up. In Australia the agent is Timesaver Layouts

http://www.timesaverlayouts.com/

Also the NRMA Australian site http://www.nmra.org.au/    has a few tips and downloads

Peter

Hi

Unless I am very much mistaken,they look like aircraft servos.

Which you can buy for under £5.00 and using a two pole switch to set the polarity,if you are using DC.

Darren01

You can buy suitable servos from Giantshark.co.uk for about £2.50. Look for TowerPro.

Since MERG was mentioned,

from MERG,

set of 4 Servos £12

Servo driver board £5.50

Relay board for polarity switching £9.00

Decoder £9.50

Total for 4 points £36, and you can delete any parts you don't need.

The £18 subscription is more than covered by the savings from the first 4 points.

Regards

Keith

cheers Keith i'm already a merg member just playing with loads of ideas even mounting a rasp pi as well 

Archived