China clay cda wagons

I do believe I've found a picture of it. I'll try to fire up the scanner over the weekend....

CDA 353224 was on display at Bodmin General during the Bodmin and Wenford Railway Diesel Gala on 22/9/96 and that's where I saw it. The differences between it and the production batch are that the 'easy-sheet' roof and it's operating gear are mounted the opposite way round. The chassis appears to be un-modified from it's HAA design with the brake distributor and air tank mounted below the headstock.

• Like 1

Hi

Having seen this wagon at St Blazey I had always assumed the ladders at either end were original,but the picture taken at Bodmin shows they must have been a later addition;I wonder why?

I took a photo of a photo at the Wadebridge exhibition last year of when the wagon was new which shows it with ladders attached.It is shown with red strapping etc but dated ,as I recall, approx '86/87.

post-7844-0-18126300-1317069134_thumb.jpg

But back to the current situation,a couple of pics of the other end taken in Oct 08.Note that there seems to be no air or similar gear either end of the wagon!!! Possibly removed?

post-7844-0-51555000-1317068933.jpg

post-7844-0-66124700-1317069394.jpg

Hope these are of use

Cheers Bill

• Like 1

Going a tad off topic here, went to St. Blazey a week or so ago, I couldn't believe how much it's changed since I went last, I was little snapper but I don't remember it looking so "reduced" so to speak. Looks tiny now, unless I went on a bad day but all I saw was a FGW 153 and EWS crew drinking coffee! Do locos still stable there these days? I guess there must be some activity for EWS staff to be sat there? Or DB whatever it's called now...

Cheers jack.

Nice pics guys, an interesting beast, loving those ladders! B&Q's best! I think the brake equipment us underneath the platform on the opposite end to your shots Bill, you can see part of it in Craig's shot - doesn't have the frame-top mounted brake gear the production ones have.

Do locos still stable there these days?

Sort of - but a combination of less trains/longer trains and more intensive usage of the loco's means there are usually only a max of 2 DB Schenker loco's in Cornwall at any one time these days unless there's something like an engineering blockade on - the loco's don't tend to sit still for long.

Hmm... It's a shame because at one stage it was packed with locos, I mean real locos not GM's, I use to enjoy going takings photos of the 47's on post duties and see clay formations.

The other way of looking at it is it's really good news for rail freight as a business - loco's sat on shed are a waste of money. ;)

There is less work, which is the other side of the equation and is rather sad, but the very efficient use of resources I find rather impressive.