richard37670

China clay cda wagons

If you had a thin strip of black decal materiel, could you cut it up into rectangles to represent the holes, that doesn't look bad in the distant shot but the closer ones it shows the staining doesn't come from those specific 'holes' in the body and I wonder whether that would help?

Thank for that mate yeah will have a look see what i can do

Resurrecting an old thread...

I am currently sorting out the research for my new clay layout, (along with revisiting the research on my old clay layout back in 2007/8).  One point on which I have yet to find confirmation is when the ECC international logo was removed from the side of the CDAs.  So far I have found photos post the EWS refurbishment circa 2000 and plenty around the time they were introduced, but no photos in the 1996-1998 early privatisation period.  (with those that I have found too dirty to identify).

Love the photos of the prototype wagon, not one I had seen before.  It is now on the list to do both in its original 1980s condition with red frames, and in 1998 condition as well. With those ladders it rather stands out within a rake.

Resurrecting an old thread...

I am currently sorting out the research for my new clay layout, (along with revisiting the research on my old clay layout back in 2007/8). One point on which I have yet to find confirmation is when the ECC international logo was removed from the side of the CDAs. So far I have found photos post the EWS refurbishment circa 2000 and plenty around the time they were introduced, but no photos in the 1996-1998 early privatisation period. (with those that I have found too dirty to identify).

Love the photos of the prototype wagon, not one I had seen before. It is now on the list to do both in its original 1980s condition with red frames, and in 1998 condition as well. With those ladders it rather stands out within a rake.

Sounds good.

We could do with another batch of CDAs from Hornby... I've noticed the DB Schenker ones haven't been done yet! :wink_mini:

Yes, I need some more ones ! Hard to find at present 

I’m looking at converting some Dapol HAA’s to CDA’s using some Skytrex parts and I see there’s various interpretations of the roof end. 

The Hornby wagons have the roof all the way to the end but most photos show the ends inset so I guess the Hornby one is incorrect?

What’s not clear is how this is dealt with, or if it’s the same in all?

Photos like this suggest it has a vertical end inset and there’s a trough there?

CDA china clay hopper 375007 at Lostwithiel on the 1st March 2004

CDA Wagon Derailment Par.

Others have it plated over . .

Dscn1056%20-%20CDA.JPG

Anyone know the variations? :) 

First of all, do not look at the Hornby CDA if you want to see what the real thing looks like.  About the only thing they got right were the end vents, and even then I wouldn't be surprised if they are slightly over scale.  It is by far and a way the worst current generation wagon any of the major manufacturers have produced

The main differences between a CDA and a HAA:

• The aforementioned end vents
  • Slots in one side along with the ends to allow water to drain away
  •  The roof opening mechanism on one end
  •  The side plate
  •  Finally the roof.

The two pictures you have found are a good starting point, there are a couple more on Flickr which give a better view of the end area (I may have linked to them on my CDA detailing thread).

in short, the ends of the wagon (circa 12-18 inches or so) was filled in, along with a strip along one side.  Curved end plates on both ends on which the roof moves.  along the centre of the roof you have the roller bar and its associated linkages.   Finally at one end you have a vertical bar & box which forms part of the roof opening mechanism (needless to say this part doesnt even get a crude approximation on the Hornby one.)

I think that covers it all from memory, I spent a lot of time last year upgrading Hornby CDAs into semi passable models correcting all of the above.  Though I had to resort to paint for the slots in the side.  I don't know how thick the plastic is on the Dapol model, but I think in 7mm if these were missing it would be a lot more visible. 

edit: I cant see the third photo, but I wasn't aware of a different design (other than the prototype).  Although from memory there were a couple of batches supplied new, followed by a batch converted from redundant HAAs.  It would be interesting to see the number to confirm if it came from the latter batch

Edited by The Fatadder

On 26/09/2011 at 21:49, treggyman said:

Hi

Having seen this wagon at St Blazey I had always assumed the ladders at either end were original,but the picture taken at Bodmin shows they must have been a later addition;I wonder why?

I took a photo of a photo at the Wadebridge exhibition last year of when the wagon was new which shows it with ladders attached.It is shown with red strapping etc but dated ,as I recall, approx '86/87.

post-7844-0-18126300-1317069134_thumb.jpg

But back to the current situation,a couple of pics of the other end taken in Oct 08.Note that there seems to be no air or similar gear either end of the wagon!!! Possibly removed?

post-7844-0-51555000-1317068933.jpg

post-7844-0-66124700-1317069394.jpg

Hope these are of use

Cheers Bill

I see prototype 353224 is included in the new R6963 Hornby National Wagon Preservation Group Hopper Wagons pack. Yes, it would need a bit of modelling to get it right, but could anyone tell me how long it kept its red frame? Did it go into standard ECC blue frame and logo livery? 
Many thanks in anticipation.

1 hour ago, 66738 said:

I see prototype 353224 is included in the new R6963 Hornby National Wagon Preservation Group Hopper Wagons pack. Yes, it would need a bit of modelling to get it right, but could anyone tell me how long it kept its red frame? Did it go into standard ECC blue frame and logo livery? 
Many thanks in anticipation.

I dont know the answer but I have my doubts it ever received the ECC logo, I will be interested to see what the answer is.  I have been trying to confirm its livery in the 90s prior to the repaint into EWS.  And for that matter when they rebuilt the end equipment into the standard form with the twin end vents (and the removal of the plated area on the end supports).   Having modelled it in as built condition before deciding to focus on my 1998 fleet I'd like to see what is needed to update it.....

• Agree 1

And well I’m here, I notice the new R6964 ECC Triple pack of CDA’s are numbered not in the 375*** series but 352916/18/19. I can’t find any information about when these numbers were carried. Anybody? 

1 hour ago, The Fatadder said:

I dont know the answer but I have my doubts it ever received the ECC logo, I will be interested to see what the answer is.  I have been trying to confirm its livery in the 90s prior to the repaint into EWS.  And for that matter when they rebuilt the end equipment into the standard form with the twin end vents (and the removal of the plated area on the end supports).   Having modelled it in as built condition before deciding to focus on my 1998 fleet I'd like to see what is needed to update it.....

Hornby produced 353224 in their old tooling. It had the blue frames and ECC branding, so I presumed in real life at some point it did go into the standard livery. I’d really like it if it was in service for a while with red frames mixed in with the standard livery production wagons.

Posted (edited)

The new Hornby three pack is a typical Hornby cock up, not numbered after CDA's at all.

The prototype 353224 went into ECC blue with ECC logos about the same time the production batch was delivered, don't think you'll find any photos of it running in red with ECC examples, was pretty much just for the initial trials.

Edited by nat37670

11 hours ago, nat37670 said:

The prototype 353224 went into ECC blue with ECC logos about the same time the production batch was delivered, don't think you'll find any photos of it running in red with ECC examples, was pretty much just for the initial trials.

do you know if it was rebuilt with the vents / changes to the support structure at the same time?

8 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

do you know if it was rebuilt with the vents / changes to the support structure at the same time?

almost certain, although not 100%. Once it was blue sure the only difference was it's ladders and the fact it kept its original HAA number (unlike the other HAA converts).