Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

What, the S1 appeared and disappeared before those of us on the colonies had time to realise it had happened.

Any chance of a second batch being run off?

Am after a GC original. I must get smarter with this pre ordering lark.

Richard

One of them went to the colonies, Australia to be precise. I may have underestimated demand for this loco, it was in my list for some time before anyone expressed any interest at all. At the moment it's on the same sheet as a new production B9 which we have had difficulty keeping in stock because it was on the same sheet as the Princess. The sheer impossibility of predicting what will sell or not is at the bottom of these problems but I'll add your name to our list of pre-orders.

One of them went to the colonies, Australia to be precise. I may have underestimated demand for this loco, it was in my list for some time before anyone expressed any interest at all. At the moment it's on the same sheet as a new production B9 which we have had difficulty keeping in stock because it was on the same sheet as the Princess. The sheer impossibility of predicting what will sell or not is at the bottom of these problems but I'll add your name to our list of pre-orders.

Many thanks that woul be great. I will speak up earlier next time.

Richard

Nice to see a J10 is being developed - essential for those with an interest in CLC matters.

Whence it appears, it appears; methinks it will be worth it.

Mind, that Fowler 2-6-2 is s fine looking beastie...

A quick thanks to Mike.

After a couple of pm exchanges on Monday, posted off my order and it arrived, nicely parcelled up, this morning. Excellent service.

A pair of Brush 200 hp DE kits, a conversion kit and some spares Mike kindly supplied for bits I'd lost on older kits.

Once I've ordered the parts, wheels, gearboxes etc. to complete the kits I'll make a start, hopefully by the end of next week.

I'll write up a build log once I construction is underway.

• Like 3

Gives me time to save up. see you at Telford with any luck, assuming that's what you meant by Autumn?. What's my options for paying at Telford please?

Depending on the dates, I might be able to pay earlier and pick up there?

And some time before, could you say what else is needed to complete the model?

Edited by JeffP

• RMweb Gold

The fowlers looking like an excellent model. Do you have any idea of the price yet? Trying to work out if I can afford one or two. As I have a princess Coronation and 8F to cough up for to

• RMweb Premium

The fowlers looking like an excellent model. Do you have any idea of the price yet? Trying to work out if I can afford one or two. As I have a princess Coronation and 8F to cough up for to

Not yet, it depends on how they fit to the size of the etched sheets - which I don't know until I've corrected it - which I can't do until I've finished building one.

• Like 2

We won't be at Telford but Hobby Holidays will have most of our kits, 165 0-6-0 is unlike;y to be ready by then though.

Well, that solves that one then, LOL.

I'll just have to wait until you tell me, won't I?

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a 7mm scale Ruston 48Ds kit yesterday and it arrived today, nicely boxed. Its my first kit from this supplier, having seen the proto-build at Nottingham.

Very clear instructions and evident quality of design and etchings. Supplied with bearings and toolboxes. just the job of sourcing Slaters wheels, motor, gearbox, buffers & chain drives. The kit is very good value for money at GBP50 + post, the fittings will tip it a bit over 100.

Yes, Little Loco Co. Have promised a RTR version which will no doubt be very good but this version is well worth considering. Michael is a gent to deal with.

Dava

• RMweb Gold

It was twenty to seven actually, which time zone are you in? I do usually get up early though - depends when I wake up, I haven't needed an alarm clock for 41 years or so.

He's in Scunthorpe, from experience, it doesn't have a time zone, just a twilight zone.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I've built up the High Level drive unit etch for the Harton 0-4-0 No2/10. It went together easily and fits perfectly, I didn't have the small Mashima Chris would normally supply with this so fitted one of the cheap (99p) Chinese motors off Ebay. This is the one that comes with a brass worm fitted but once removed the High Level worm fits on the shaft.

post-1643-0-85181900-1495707501_thumb.jpg

The motor does match the fixing holes in the gearbox but this leaves it tilted to one side and in this position it won't fit in the loco body. Just to get it working quickly I soldered the motor casing to the gearbox. Wheels are Gibson 8 spoke Lowmac, pickups are p/b wire on small pieces of pcb on the outside of the inner frames, I don't really like pickups on the wheel treads but this is the easiest option here.

post-1643-0-71533500-1495707776_thumb.jpg

Viewed from one end, the motor drives directly on one (fixed) axle.

post-1643-0-26185100-1495707792_thumb.jpg

The other axle is held in our usual swinging arms, driven by a chain of gears down one side. The axle rocks under a knife edge rigged up from the end spacer. The etch has provision for a central spacer but the HL drive unit fouls this. Running is just about perfect as usual and the motor is almost silent. It doesn't run very fast but it isn't supposed to - in marked contrast to the Tenshodo bogie fitted in the past.

Once Chris has got this in production we'll offer it as an alternative, rather than selling the kit complete as we have done with the small Rustons.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

How does the 99p motor compare to a Mashima? 

And do you think there might be some way of using this motor bogie in the ES1 - or adapting it to it? 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium

The motor compares very well but runs rather slowly, I've not used it in anything bigger than an 0-6-0ST. Unlike the other Quadrivers this one is a fixed wheelbase - 6ft (24mm), so too short for the ES1. It doesn't fit any od the other Harton locos either.

• RMweb Premium

More work on the Fowler 2-6-2T, first a few notes on the firebox.

post-1643-0-67203600-1496384709_thumb.jpg

The front corners of the firebox are going to be filled with Plastic Padding so first a couple of thin supports are soldered inside between the boiler and the firebox. Also seen here the lead sheet for the washout plugs to be set in.

post-1643-0-93828500-1496384904_thumb.jpg

They can just be seen in this view from the outside, temporary support across the wide gap between the tanks and firebox.

post-1643-0-95894000-1496385030_thumb.jpg

Plastic Padding moulded into the corners round the supports, they will stop it falling out.

post-1643-0-30409800-1496385102_thumb.jpg

Just before it fully hardens the Plastic Padding is sliced off flush with the firebox front, washout plugs have now been fitted.

post-1643-0-39289000-1496385236_thumb.jpg

There was a major error in the central portion of the cab roof, it needs extending by .5mm each side. The join was arranged to be under the rainstrip angle so this covers the error now.

post-1643-0-74680600-1496385379_thumb.jpg

On this loco, like many more modern ones, the tanks are fastened to the boiler with stays. There are three of these on each tank, bolted flexibly to allow for boiler expansion - boilers are only fixed at the smokebox end of the loco.

Holes are etched in the tank top, the front one has a wire soldered in it, the second one back has had the etched pad fitted, the third one has the stay attached. To represent the brackets off the boiler lengths of scrap etch are soldered across the boiler/firebox through holes drilled in them. In this way the tank supports perform the same function in the model as they do full size. 

post-1643-0-35090800-1496385811_thumb.jpg

The finished tank tops, water fillers are two layers of etch with a flattened pin for the T handle, lifting brackets are on the etch, fireiron brackets from scrap and the water gauge from .8mm wire. The firebox front corners slightly rounded, not very easy to do on a tank engine but this Midland style cladding has quite sharp corners, not as rounded as the later Stanier type. Cab roof vent in the open position to get the best possible access to the inside of the cab.

Most of the body etch is now built and checked for corrections, we should be able to get the revised production version out later this year.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Harton No2/No10 0-4-0WE

I've just heard from Chris Gibbon (High Level) that he will be putting the compensated drive unit for this kit into production soon. This is the one we had on display at Railex, the production ones will have a Canon 10x20 motor rather than the 99p one I fitted. No price yet, we will be offering this as an alternative. It can be fitted retrospectively if a loco has already been built with a Tenshodo power bogie. Before anyone asks what else will it fit, the wheelbase is 6ft.

• Like 3