Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Please would it be possible to indulge us with a link or product number.  Somewhere here I think https://www.soldersonline.co.uk/dept.aspx?id=196

By the way, taps are useful when soldering nuts to models as those less competent tend to find solder creeping into the thread.  A quick clear out with a tap is easier than desoldering and restarting with a fresh nut.

Use a steel bolt, as in Mikes kits, and voila no messy nuts!

Mike.

By the way, taps are useful when soldering nuts to models as those less competent tend to find solder creeping into the thread.  A quick clear out with a tap is easier than desoldering and restarting with a fresh nut.

I simply rub the screw thread, whatever material, with a soft lead (ie graphite) pencil before screwing in to solder captive nuts. Any solder wicking simply makes the screw a very slightly tighter fit.

And, depending on what flux you've used, undo the screws as soon as all nuts are soldered and the job cooled a bit. Acid flux and steel screws can lock into place quite quickly.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

Please would it be possible to indulge us with a link or product number.  Somewhere here I think https://www.soldersonline.co.uk/dept.aspx?id=196

That's why we give you steel screws and brass nuts, unless you do use phosphoric acid soldering the screw is very unlikely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mike,

The closest I found was "62s" solder:

https://www.soldersonline.co.uk/search.aspx?search=62s

- but nothing under "52s".

Mike:  Can I ask what Flux you use please?  Thanks

Kind Regards,

Brian

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quite a few new developments to report on.

The test etch for the Stanier 2-6-2T has arrived, I should get it built this month. I also have an order to build one in 7mm scale this year.

Test etch for the GC C14 in 4mm is underway, photos later and I also have the first test of the Stone Faiveley single arm pantograph to put together. This proved to be a lot more complicated than I expected and may need some lost wax castings eventually.

7mm test etch for the Hunslet 05 (early version - not the Heljan one) is nearly complete so should be the next O gauge kit.

Fowler 150hp basic drawing complete (posted in Fowler 150hp thread), I hope to have the test etch for Scalefour North.

Other bits and pieces now available include Iracier axlebox covers and a separate water scoop wheel for GC tenders.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Quite a few new developments to report on.

The test etch for the Stanier 2-6-2T has arrived, I should get it built this month. 

Yey, excellent news, could well be having at least 2 of those. Really look forward to seeing the test build, if it appears on here?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Yey, excellent news, could well be having at least 2 of those. Really look forward to seeing the test build, if it appears on here?

Likewise, and also interested how the boiler will be tackled?

• RMweb Premium

Last photo of the C14 for the time being.

WP_20190217_10_07_20_Pro.jpg.1b179840872254a92adb8f4be5043893.jpg

The covers for the tank balance pipes are attached to the inner cab floor which is mounted on the frames, the steps will be fitted to the footplate. Cab sides finished with beading added from 30 swg brass wire.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nothing new to sell at Scalefour North apart from the frame kit for the Oxford Rail Janus but we will have plenty on show with regard to future developments. I didn't manage to finish either the C14 or the Stanier 2-6-2T but progress so far will be on show. The test etch for the Fowler 150hp 0-4-0DM will be on show, building to start next week and should be on show finished at York.

WP_20190404_09_13_51_Pro.jpg.bc75f1f114cf2c212c843d5189f7995d.jpg

WP_20190201_10_25_00_Pro.jpg.17d15fbb12e448938f7f3b39d71d075d.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/12/2018 at 05:11, PenrithBeacon said:

I've had this in my library since the mid-70s, highly recommended

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Model-Locomotives-F-J-Roche/dp/B0011QVXUI/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1544003253&sr=1-4&keywords=building+model+locomotives

I have several of Iain Rice's books and they aren't at all helpful for the beginner, being very disorganised and written in a 'jolly hockeysticks' style which I find very annoying when I'm struggling. The second volume of Geoff Holt's books is the better one for a beginner.

Tools:-

25W soldering iron with 1mm bit (Eileens/Squires)

Rosin cored solder and small tub of rosin flux (eBay)

Fibre glass brush(Eileens/Squires)

Xuron cutters (Eileens/Squires)

Swiss files (Eileens/Squires)

Folding bars (eBay)

Drills from .35mm to 2.2mm (Eileens/Squires)

Reamers 1.0mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm 3.0mm and 1/8" (Eileens/Squires)

Broaches (Eileens/Squires)

Mini-drill (Eileens/Squires)

Pin vices in 3 different sizes (Eileens/Squires)

14BA and 12BA taps (Buck and Hickman if you want HSS, Eileens/Squires if you want carbon steel)

Pliers; snipe, round and bull nosed (Eileens/Squires)

Side cutters (Eileens/Squires)

You will be able to get all of these (excepting the eBay items of course) at the Peterborough show next weekend

Be aware that there are health and safety risks for asthmatics for both rosin and acid based fluxes, please consult your GP if you are asthmatic and under no circumstances use an acid flux without eye protection ie safety goggles. The damned stuff spits and bubbles when heat is applied to it.

If it is of any help I use a fume extractor (https://www.amazon.com/Xytronic-0608426DLX-426DLX-Fume-Extractor/dp/B0007ZLH4Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Fume+extractor&qid=1555112226&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1) on my bench placed as close to the work as possible to draw fumes away from my face. It works rather well as I find at the end of a session I have no ‘taste’ of the flux.

I hope that is useful.

best,

Marcus

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

All listed as 120V ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.