Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

All listed as 120V ?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I hadn't noticed that, my search for "Solder fume extractors) came up with Digi-Key UK so I looked at those but didn't check the voltage.

Rapid also list it at 230V and a lower price;

https://www.rapidonline.com/anvil-av-ext-fume-extractor-esd-85-5920

• RMweb Premium

I got one of the ones GEHerts posted a link to, from a UK ebay seller and when it arrived it was 220-240V input.

I'm not sure I'm convinced by the efficacy of it. It simply sucks the fumes in and exhausts them upwards out of the back of the machine, further away from the work piece, yes, but closer to my nose! 

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mike

I am building one of your  North British 0-4-0 kits at present and am enjoying it, it is a nice kit to build but I am a bit stumped with one  point. Please could you tell me how I attach firmly the brass fly cranks to the stainless steel stepped axle? If it is a push fit there would appear to be a fine line too tight and too loose. Or should I use some thing like Loctite to stick them together? thanks.

David

3 hours ago, david65061 said:

Dear Mike

I am building one of your  North British 0-4-0 kits at present and am enjoying it, it is a nice kit to build but I am a bit stumped with one  point. Please could you tell me how I attach firmly the brass fly cranks to the stainless steel stepped axle? If it is a push fit there would appear to be a fine line too tight and too loose. Or should I use some thing like Loctite to stick them together? thanks.

David

Hi David,

I've built one of these and the axle is, so far as I know, silver steel and amenable to soldering. It must be because that's how I did it (it may even be how the instructions suggest doing it, I honestly can't remember). There's a thread about it: 

Adam

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The cranks should be a press fit on the axle supplied, depends to some extent on how well aligned they are before soldering up. They may need reaming slightly but shouldn't be loose, if they are soldering or Loctite should be OK. The axles are usually made from stainless steel but some are from unused Gibson axles and I don't know what sort of steel these are, other than that they are extremely free cutting. If only one is a bit loose, solder that one up first and adjust with the other one.

I don't know what you use as flux, phosphoric acid is what I use but the 9% stuff isn't strong enough for steel.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what that one is but some of the Carr's fluxes are extremely corrosive - especially on steel - and should be washed off immediately. i won't have them in my workshop, phosphoric acid does everything and is completely safe on steel - it's the basis of rust proofers actually.

• Informative/Useful 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently completed Mike's 48ds which is a lovely wee kit and goes together like a dream.  Was worried there was insufficient play on the compensated axle, but running last weekend on Chris McCarthy's test track 

proved it works perfectly.  Will be seen running on UNITED MILLS on its next outing at St Andrews exhibition.

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3338.JPG

DSC_3339.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Some more progress with the 150hp Fowler.

WP_20190531_07_24_22_Pro.jpg.20b5ae4b36fe7b87252a865890c85cb6.jpg

The radiator is a resin moulding, easy to add to the casing since it is slightly wider, the later radiator casing will be included in the etch.

WP_20190531_07_25_10_Pro.jpg.ded8733e058e909d6fce05d5ed63bac5.jpg

Frames are complete and painted now for 600s, this is 00 gauge and it's becoming apparent that clearances will be minimal in wider gauges. The motor fitted is a small square one on a High Level gearbox, the engine casing is very narrow and there isn't much length available without intruding into the cab.

WP_20190531_07_25_42_Pro.jpg.3ac07be4e4a127b62ffe5acc0146d872.jpg

WP_20190531_07_26_16_Pro.jpg.62e77a0d4e3268ca4e6277771397314c.jpg

There were two superb examples built from our kits at Railex last weekend, this Hunslet 75T 0-6-0DE on Bottom Works Sidings, well finished and weathered in British Steel livery

IMG_3549.JPG.13ab60b1234aefd21b5e036f6103a5ae.JPG

IMG_3550.JPG.b5f1fabb4cbede32a3863cad8dab55d5.JPG

IMG_3551.JPG.fafe22547a49f3b300a85004138edd9d.JPG

Another incredible 2mm model from Alex Duckworth, the EB1, seen on Alan Whitehouse's MSW layout.

IMG_3554.JPG.698065908fc45b87db8457fe1fd6377c.JPG

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ray Nolton said:

Recently completed Mike's 48ds which is a lovely wee kit and goes together like a dream.  Was worried there was insufficient play on the compensated axle, but running last weekend on Chris McCarthy's test track 

proved it works perfectly.  Will be seen running on UNITED MILLS on its next outing at St Andrews exhibition.

DSC_3331.JPG

DSC_3338.JPG

DSC_3339.JPG

That's what a 48DS should look like, and to think some people will buy the Hornby model, incredible.

Mike.

27 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

... and to think some people will buy the Hornby model, incredible.

If they're anything like me, some of those people with the Hornby on order will be those whose eyesight and dexterity, being not what it used to be, precludes kitbuilding.

4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

That's what a 48DS should look like, and to think some people will buy the Hornby model, incredible.

Mike.

I'm buying the Hornby model. Mainly because I know I couldn't replicate the livery of the whiskey one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/430611/hornby_r3707_ruston_48ds_queen_anne_in_longmorn_distillery_livery_with_match_wagon/stockdetail.aspx

That's the deal breaker I'm afraid. But if I was after a bog standard one then I would go down the JE route. I probably will as I wouldn't mind this one as well. Obviously in the condition before it was stuffed and mounted.

Atlantic_Avenue,_1998_Ruston_48DS_0-4-0_

Photo from Wiki common user.

Jason

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

How very dare they? How dare they chose to do their hobby in a way they like? What a disgrace!

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I'm buying the Hornby model. Mainly because I know I couldn't replicate the livery of the whiskey one.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/430611/hornby_r3707_ruston_48ds_queen_anne_in_longmorn_distillery_livery_with_match_wagon/stockdetail.aspx

Whiskey? whats that? it only ever says Whisky on my bottles..

Edited by TheQ