Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

We should have the production etches for the 150hp Fowler next week, no price yet but that means we will have some for Scaleforum at the end of this month.

Excellent news, Mike. 

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Recommended parts for the 150hp Fowler 0-4-0DM

wheels                 Gibson 4839G

motor/gears        High Level Roadrunner/ 10x20 motor

buffers                 Gibson 4914 or 4915

The motor can't be much bigger as the engine casing is very narrow - 3ft 4in outside.

Edited by Michael Edge
correcting error
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Is that DS74 in the middle? I recall this was often sitting on the slope at Durnsford Road power station.

Yes it is, with DS1169 the Ruston Hornsby 48DS at the front (obviously DS74 is being temporarily posed off the third rail!).

All are Judith Edge kits, the front two being built for me by Chris Phillips, whilst 400S is Mike Edge's test build of his new Fowler 150hp kit.

Tony

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Yes it is, with DS1169 the Ruston Hornsby 48DS at the front (obviously DS74 is being temporarily posed off the third rail!).

All are Judith Edge kits, the front two being built for me by Chris Phillips, whilst 400S is Mike Edge's test build of his new Fowler 150hp kit.

Tony

here at 247 Developments we now do the cab side plates for DS1169

Edited by mozzer models
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Tony

Thanks. Of course I now realise that I also glimpsed DS1169 at Broad Clyst - from the passing Atlantic Coast Express (Padstow portion on a Summer Saturday).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thanks. Of course I now realise that I also glimpsed DS1169 at Broad Clyst - from the passing Atlantic Coast Express (Padstow portion on a Summer Saturday).

Great memories - I never saw it myself!

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

First test etch of the Stone Faiveley single arm pantograph built today.

2036683569_StoneFaiveleypan1.JPG.c1d675f5546e6d10bafbde5e6cbaf359.JPG

Four lengths of .45mm n/s wire inserted into a block of wood first, then insulator etches threaded on and soldered. The frame is built up from two etches to start with - nearer side. An overlay connects these two together - seen on the far side, the triangular bracket connects the two and forms the pivot for the parallel arm.

1145498942_StoneFaiveleypan2.JPG.9b8fb27544e2535e94cf9f105b8efc6b.JPG

The finished pan removed from the block, quite a few issues here but it does work. The brass tube was cut a bit short, this fits over a T shaped etch to form the lower arm. The upper arms in full size are fitted in a casting, this is fabricated from etched components in the model, the arms themselves are n/s wire. Two springs (half the length of the ones we use for other pans) lift the pan against the wire. There should be another linkage to keep the pan head horizontal but I think this might be too fine and difficult to fit so it will rely on pressure under the wire to keep the head horizontal.

499351862_StoneFaiveleypanonE3005.JPG.842f8965e85d50b1ce77db3be011a55e.JPG

For once I have a loco to fit this to, E3005 was built from a Triang AL1 many years ago for our aborted Hartford Junction layout and fitted with modified Sommerfeldt pans. The difference is quite striking.

I'll have this with me at Warley at the weekend along with lots of other projects on my demo stand A76. This covers design and building of etched kits, come along to have a look or discuss techniques, feel free to bring along any kit building project of your own (anybody's kit - not just ours).

Some more work to do on the 4mm Stanier 3P tomorrow now that the 7mm one is out of the way.

Stone Faiveley pan 2.JPG

Very nice Mike. I've still got my Liliput AL1 body waiting to be built. I'd like to say that the delay (nearly 35 years) was on account of the lack of suitable pantographs but that would only be partly true.

Put me down for a pair of these when they become available please!

• RMweb Premium

Our next exhibition is Manchester on 7th and 8th December. We will have some more 150hp Fowlers and most of our 7mm range with us, we do get asked frequently for 2mm etches at shows but don't have them with us unless pre-ordered. The first test etch of the Stone Faiveley pantograph will be on dosplay, should be in production early next year, all other pans are in stock. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Difficult to answer that question while remaining polite.....

So far the Fell hasn't been the huge success we anticipated but in our experience it's impossible to predict which models will or won't sell well - nobody has ever guessed correctly which of our kits is the best seller and which are the worst.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

How do you feel about KR announcing an RTR Fell, now that your kit is available?

I imagine something along the lines of when Heljan announced the Class 17 just prior/just after Mike released his kit....

I recall asking Mike & Judith a similar question regarding the Clayton at the time (Ally Pally?).  The response was shocking - pure filth :O.......this cute and cuddly Little Bear didn't know such words even existed**, let alone how to spell them.  Mike's response was even worse....:jester:

** Thinking about it, that's not quite right.  Great Uncle Siberious came out with something similar when he broke a tooth crunching on an Eskimo's Head - gave him gyp for weeks afterwards.  The remnants of the head now adorn the cave wall as a reminder.  One of the few advantages of living in a deep freezer.

polybear

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I hope they don't skuttle off down the same route drive wise as they have yet to finish on GT3.

It may end up being a bit like the Hornby  Sentinel and the Golden Valley Janus... not a representation of any particular loco complete with mistakes for all.

Still to see it turn into reality.

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1