Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Difficult to answer that question while remaining polite.....

So far the Fell hasn't been the huge success we anticipated but in our experience it's impossible to predict which models will or won't sell well - nobody has ever guessed correctly which of our kits is the best seller and which are the worst.

Cheer up Mike, there's every chance The KR Fell won't be a success either!

A truly weird choice for RTR, one engine only, unsuccessful,  only ran for a short time and scrapped.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I imagine something along the lines of when Heljan announced the Class 17 just prior/just after Mike released his kit....

I recall asking Mike & Judith a similar question regarding the Clayton at the time (Ally Pally?).  The response was shocking - pure filth :O.......this cute and cuddly Little Bear didn't know such words even existed**, let alone how to spell them.  Mike's response was even worse....:jester:

** Thinking about it, that's not quite right.  Great Uncle Siberious came out with something similar when he broke a tooth crunching on an Eskimo's Head - gave him gyp for weeks afterwards.  The remnants of the head now adorn the cave wall as a reminder.  One of the few advantages of living in a deep freezer.

polybear

Yes and what a pile of useless carp that Heljan Clayton is.. mind you it works(?) just like the real thing..very badly..

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Some more work on the delayed Stanier 3P 2-6-2T this week.

IMG_0551.JPG.99aebde412b5abeec3c402e0621117ee.JPG

Bodywork now just about finished, after the difficulties with the injectors on the 7mm version I'm going to put the cab steps, balance pipes and injectors all on the frames. Since the loco is still on its temporary Romford wheels this will have wait until the final Gibson wheels are fitted. We'll have this on display at Manchester this weekend along with the prototype Stone Faiveley pantograph.

• Like 17

Wonderful.  I see the 'combined' dome, like #91:

96a37ab171b3ea87c0faece2429a2900.jpg

Will the 'separated' dome (I'm afraid I don't know the correct terminology) be available - viz:

mrsalt976.jpg

Photos courtesy of Atlantic via Pinterest & Warwickshire Railways respectively.

Knowledge to answer, courtesy of @Steamport Southport and Wikipedia - 91 has a Type 6 boiler, 171 has a type 6A.  Thank you!

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

91 is domeless and 171 is dome with separate top feed. The "dome" with the pipes going in on 91 is the top feed casing.

Basic details on the boilers and fittings here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_2-6-2T

Jason

There is also the file I put together back in 2016 https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=678022 which has all the photographic evidence at the time I could find on the class. Some lost or gained keyholes, domeless occasionally changed to domed, the tank vents sometimes changed to against the cab and strips appeared on the back of the bunkers (although this is a BR thing from the evidence and I did not at the time record that one the workbook)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

We may well do this one as a kit rather than "etches only" in view of the whole boiler being etched. I still need to make a proper pattern for the smokebox door (I have one that I thought was near enough but it's not that close). I would need to make a dome as well - that wasn't an easy job for the 7mm version.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Hello,

can I ask whether the kit for LSWR electric bo-bo locomotive (Waterloo & City and Durnsford Road shunter) is still available, and if it is how I can purchase one?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Surely the W&C loco, and the Durnsford Road loco, were two very different machines - or am I showing my ignorance of all things SR here?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm afraid you are.

The Durnsford Road one was originally built for the W&C, and moved house when the original W&C generating station was downgraded, and ceased to generate traction power, on opening of Durnsford Road in 1915.

My plot is to use it to haul coal to yet another generating station, which was authorised but never built, on the outskirts of Woking.

Edited by Nearholmer

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I'm afraid you are.

The Durnsford Road one was originally built for the W&C, and moved house when the original W&C generating station was downgraded, and ceased to generate traction power, on opening of Durnsford Road in 1915.

My plot is to use it to haul coal to yet another generating station, which was authorised but never built, on the outskirts of Woking.

That comes as no surprise - my knowledge of these two locos started with ABC spotting books and ended with such photos as I've come across over the years.

I hadn't realised that the Durnsford one had 'history' - we live and learn !

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

It doesn't seem to have been photographed at Durnsford Road until the 1940s , if it had worked there from 1915 as all sources show how did it manage to avoid the camera? There are any number of photos of it there from 1940s onwards and I've talked to lots of people who remember it being normally visible from the trains running past.

If it was built as a thunderbird for the first generation stock on the W&C, a 1940s move date would make sense, coinciding with the new stock.

The key point may be that the earlier stock didn’t, I think, have compressors, the braking air being charged from compressors at either end of the run, and this loco carried big air reservoirs, more than it can have needed for itself, which I assume allowed it to charge the reservoirs on a train stuck in the tunnel in an emergency.

Its thunderbird function is very plausible, because there was a lot of worry about stuck trains in the few years after the line opened (there was after the CSLR opened too, it even made it into a short story by H G Wells at that time).

the little 4W Shunter carried a compressor on its front deck, I think, but maybe it was too slow acting, or was a later addition, or maybe that loco didn’t have the grunt to lift a loaded train up from the dump area in the middle of the tunnel.

Of course, if all my suppositions are correct, it does pose another question: how was durnsford road shunted until 1940? I bet there is a description of the gen station in The Engineer in 1915......

PS: the ramp at durnsford road looks like later-build than 1915. Maybe they changed all of the coal handling there in 1940.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

It was certainly designed for tube use, in its original form it fits in gauge in a 12ft tube - out in the open it was lifted slightly on its bogies, posibly for vertical clearance on the power station ramp. The original diagram (but no photos) shows a central coupler of some sort. It was built with (and kept) Mansell wheels and was still air brake fitted at least at one end in the 1940s. It was definitely not designed as a shunter for unfitted coal wagons whatever it may have been used for - the "Thunderbird" function hadn't occurred to me but as you say it had very large air reservoirs. There is a great deal of mystery about this loco, I didn't say it wasn't at Durnsford Road from 1915, just that I've never seen a photo. The smaller loco (75s) was used for shunting the stock on and off the lift to the surface, no mystery about this one and of course it still exists.

• Informative/Useful 1

There is a somewhat poor photo of it in original form in Gilham’s book, possibly a works photo. It may be incomplete in the photo, but not having seen the drawing I’m not sure.

Gilham says that it had the motor armatures integral with the axles, which was what was done on the early CSLR locos (before this one) and the CLR locos (just after this one), the idea being to simplify things and eliminate gear whine on locos used in confined spaces. It proved to be a bad idea, because it led to very high unsprung mass, causing vibration and track damage. So, this loco probably clonked heavily over rail joints.

I’ve never seen a tech spec for it, so don’t know how many traction motors it had - four I presume, or their rating.

It was there in 1924!

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW010963

If you log-in and use the zoom function, its pretty conclusive. I've added a labelling pin to indicate it.

Forget some of my surmise......... I'm convinced that the air reservoirs were provided for the reason I stated. Maybe the loco was simply never called upon and they built-up confidence in other ways of dealing with stuck trains.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Hi Mike the Stanier 3mt is looking very good, I think I said to you that I need one or two for Wharfeside so if there is to be a waiting list can you put my name down. I have the Ultrascale wheels, Mashima motor and a HL gearbox waiting. Will they be ready for Scalefour North? Hope so.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

It was there in 1924!

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EPW010963

If you log-in and use the zoom function, its pretty conclusive. I've added a labelling pin to indicate it.

Forget some of my surmise......... I'm convinced that the air reservoirs were provided for the reason I stated. Maybe the loco was simply never called upon and they built-up confidence in other ways of dealing with stuck trains.

Kevin

Good detective work there, that settles that argument anyway. The loco roof looks very light in this photo though - which leads on to the other ongoing argument of what colour it was painted at any time. I have also wondered if it ever saw any use as a shunter in Wimbledon depot.