Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

13 hours ago, davefrk said:

the Stanier 3mt is looking very good, I think I said to you that I need one or two for Wharfeside

Funnily enough Dave I was looking through books yesterday & with the help of Duncan's (Blandford1969) spreadsheet (on the Stanier 3P 2-6-2T topic) decided that of the Manningham/Ilkley based ones 40117 & 40178 give a good variety of detailing differences. Just need to decide whether to batch build or not.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The main differences are the back sanders, boiler and tank vents but there are a lot of minor variations as well, including some just seen in the way of patch repairs to the bunkers. The back sander differences are covered in the etch, domeless or domed boiler are just different fittings and we are not providing the awkward cranked tank top vents.

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The main differences are the back sanders, boiler and tank vents but there are a lot of minor variations as well, including some just seen in the way of patch repairs to the bunkers. The back sander differences are covered in the etch, domeless or domed boiler are just different fittings and we are not providing the awkward cranked tank top vents.

Now that's something I might be able to successfully 3D Print!

Edited by FoxUnpopuli
Speeling eror.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

IMG_0624.JPG.abc230ebf8971f4fa2a1625e71bc672d.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG.3aee054e22dc8d58791b517afababefd.JPG

Now sprayed with Hycote satin black, this was the first coat, some unpainted frame visible behind the leading driver - this is corrected with another coat of paint.

I take it that's not your best pair of long-nosed pliers Mike......:jester:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

No, they are an old pair of forceps, as you may surmise only used for this job. Every few months I crack the accumulated crust of paint off them though.

Veterinary forceps, no doubt.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Link above to what is one of our poorest selling kits, meanwhile design work is complete on another large industrial diesel, the Sentinel 0-8-0DH. 

t.jpg.05b2b03834a6d5512c543af17215b5e0.jpg

This is the best known and only survivor of these locos, the ex MoD one at the Avon Valley railway where we measured it some years ago. 610 was something of a one-off though but similar ones were supplied to British Steel Ebbw Vale and NCB Moor Green colliery. A longer wheelbase version was built for British Steel Normanby Park (Scunthorpe - where the Hunslet 0-6-0DE was for). The eventual kit will probably include parts for all three possibilities.

Corrections for the Stanier 3P 2-6-2T next on the drawing list.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Can't wait for the final Stanier go.  It shall be my first metal kit.  A pair of 15" Hunslets are required at some point to make 'Austin II' and 'Austin 3'...  they might be a more sensible first attempt kit!

Is the 2-6-2 sticking with the pony trucks as they are or are you planning on changing the back one to the more U shape, not that it will put me off wanting 2 of them, just curious.

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Is the 2-6-2 sticking with the pony trucks as they are or are you planning on changing the back one to the more U shape, not that it will put me off wanting 2 of them, just curious.

Hi Duncan,

As you are aware, Mike kindly offered to sell  me the spare set of 7mm test etches  that he had after I enquired if he would be making it available in 7mm. Originally I intended to modify the rear truck to have a U frame as per the prototype.  This may   have allowed for  full modelling of the brake crank, brackets and the brake cylinder. However, even on a 7 mm model it will not be visible so I've decided to stay with the pony as designed. As you can see in this view, once the cab steps are in place all that will be visible will be the last part of the pull rod and the bottom of the crank. I doubt if the fact that the truck has an A frame as opposed to  U frame will show when the step is on, so it's highly unlikely that it will show in 4mm. I leave it to Mike  to comment on how the kit will be on released, but I've decided it doesn't bring much to the party to be worth the effort. Also bear in mind that with a prototype brake rigging set up above the rear truck, there may not be clearance for the truck on curves, even with a U frame.

By the way, if the 4mm version goes together as well as the 7mm set of etchings have,   you 4mm boys have a real treat to look forward to. Bearing in mind, that I purchased a spare set of test etchings, I have been able to build this model without any instructions whatsoever. The design of the kit is very simple but everything fits as it should. Please note, Mike only supplied the etchings for this build and all the detail parts are from proprietary 7mm sources or the spares box. For those of you on Western Thunder who may be interested,  there is a full write up of the build so far.

Cheers,

Peter

20200206_184713.jpg.ee29bd4bffa81fad4a741209f5d09c04.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

I will be changing the trailing truck frame but not reproducing the exact brake arrangement since this would restrict the truck movement far too much for a working model. I'll probably put in one brake shaft bracket on the centre line, just to have something to attach the pull rod to. this will probably allow enough swing but if it doesn't it could be left out.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Can't wait for the final Stanier go.  It shall be my first metal kit.  A pair of 15" Hunslets are required at some point to make 'Austin II' and 'Austin 3'...  they might be a more sensible first attempt kit!

That sounds a much more sensible idea, start with a properly worked up kit. I think the 3P will still be essentially a set of etched parts with very little in the way of instructions although we may include some of the more difficult moulded parts this time.

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I will be changing the trailing truck frame but not reproducing the exact brake arrangement since this would restrict the truck movement far too much for a working model. I'll probably put in one brake shaft bracket on the centre line, just to have something to attach the pull rod to. this will probably allow enough swing but if it doesn't it could be left out.

Damn! Looks like I'll have to scratch up the U frame after all. Can't have the 4mm boys showing me up.

Edited by PAD
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just redrawn the trailing pony truck frame, I think the single thickness brake shaft bracket can be an extension of the compensation knife edge. It's that that is really needed, the shape of the truck frame isn't noticeable from the side and I don't bother with detail that requires the loco to be turned over to see.

• Agree 1

On 06/02/2020 at 07:39, Michael Edge said:

Link above to what is one of our poorest selling kits, meanwhile design work is complete on another large industrial diesel, the Sentinel 0-8-0DH. 

This is the best known and only survivor of these locos, the ex MoD one at the Avon Valley railway where we measured it some years ago. 610 was something of a one-off though but similar ones were supplied to British Steel Ebbw Vale and NCB Moor Green colliery. A longer wheelbase version was built for British Steel Normanby Park (Scunthorpe - where the Hunslet 0-6-0DE was for). The eventual kit will probably include parts for all three possibilities.

Yes please Mike.

Gordon A

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've just redrawn the trailing pony truck frame, I think the single thickness brake shaft bracket can be an extension of the compensation knife edge. It's that that is really needed, the shape of the truck frame isn't noticeable from the side and I don't bother with detail that requires the loco to be turned over to see.

I would agree with that Mike. Whilst the U frame offers clearance to represent the brake shaft bracket, it offers nothing visually when the model is on the track. This afternoon I removed the A frame from the rear truck and scratched up a U frame, purely to allow some clearance. Here's the front and rear trucks for comparison.

20200207_193459.jpg.e90bd583bf6cd415c5e1245d7cc9673b.jpg

And in the frames. Clearly there's much more space for the brake detail.20200207_193439.jpg.bc1afdcfeef7ab1fe95842f0e6d6b5c6.jpg

• Like 11

The forum wouldn't let me add further images in the lasts post but this image shows the U frame placed on the A frame and the extra clearance it affords.

20200207_193640.jpg.1b23d4296f1f184fe68d742c44633b26.jpg

But viewed on the track it's not possible to see if it's an A or U frame.

20200207_193119.jpg.0c22c62ba0d75eb812dd6ee45f3fa44f.jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PAD
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

On 06/02/2020 at 15:39, Michael Edge said:

Sign me up for a steel works and NCB variant Mike! One to add to the collection ofcv0-8-0 beasts

J

Just to complete the picture regarding the rear truck and brake rigging, I've scratched up the brake shaft support etc. and clearance is fine in 7mm. However, to be safe, I reduced the length of the shaft and bracket width to give a bit more clearance. I think it should be possible to do something similar in 4mm if required, but I don't know what parts Mike will include.  Heres the bracket ready to fit. It is screwed to an extra spacer added to the frames as it needs to be detachable as the rear most pull rod coincides with the bogie pivot screw.  The hand brake crank at the rear should be separate from the vacuum brake crank but I made them as one for simplicity. As with the bracket width,  its not noticeable on the rails.

20200210_220602.jpg.c776c257b498b069c184c1587d86f210.jpg

Here it is installed. The truck is screwed in place first, then the end of the pull rod is inserted into a hole in the cross shaft shackle and the bracket inserted between the truck frames and screwed to the spacer.  Please not, the cross shafts and shackles are scratch built, not the etched parts. I didn't add the brake cylinder as this is totally hidden up inside the frames.

20200210_220230.jpg.f307ac2442a17041285d5621c9f6cc38.jpg

Here you can see the degree of swing that is available for the truck which gives no problems on the curves. I didn't use Mike's compensation system on the rear axle, so I don't know if those parts would be impacted on by the extra brake fittings.

20200210_220014.jpg.ca6e80189c7d0bd261266b6c9fcaa19c.jpg

Sorry for the hijacks Mike,  but as this is a direct scale up of the 4mm etchings I thought it might be of interest.  

Thanks again for letting me have the spare 7mm etchings.  Nothing fancy about the design, but the fit of the parts has been excellent and a joy to build. I like your philosophy on not adding parts that can only be seen by picking up the model ,  although I do like to add the brake rigging in more detail, but that's easy to do and after all we are supposed to be modellers.

Good luck with the sales of the 4mm version. 

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PAD
Typo
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5