Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Try "sheet metal rollers" or "slip rollers". No idea if any of them are any good of course.

I put both descriptions into eBay and Amazon and got a selection of tools but they are very much professional tools with a professional price tag. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/02/2020 at 20:09, innocentman said:

Hi Daddyman,

I used my trusty Midland Railway Centre riveting tool.

http://www.midrailcentre.com/rivet-embossing-tool

Andy

Further hijacking/diversion!   Sorry!

Thanks for this link, and to others for the follow up comments.  I was not aware of the Midland Railway Centre one but was aware of the GW one, through adverts in MRJ.  Is the Midland one advertised at all?  And are there other potential options?   Although the Midland one seems better from the feedback.

The link was also interesting in that Midland also do a variety of turntable kits in 4mm that, again, I wasn’t conscious of.  Maybe just me of course though!  A build of one of the turntables on another forum is linked, which was useful.  Of course, that led to a diversion of looking at the Hawick layout thread that was where the turntable was for!

• RMweb Premium

22 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

It's not clear from the photos how these are geared together - they may well be the same as the GW one.

I can't help with sources, the Ian Cherry one is long out of production.

• RMweb Premium

A bit more work on the LNER C14 yesterday.

IMG_0674.JPG.d04582d5eba7f8e444678ebea11c4925.JPG

I did a little bit on this in my demo at Warley last year but it hasn't been touched since. 

The firebox wrapper and end are on the etch, all seemed to work out ok, it locates in a half etch on the cab front and the ends are multiple thicknesses to make the shaping of the curve possible. Only the smokebox front was on the etch, the rest of the boiler is rolled from .010" brass sheet - using the GW rolling bars. the smokebox wrapper is .006" n/s, this will probably be on the production etch. By BR days there were a few visible rivets on this, I'll have to add them with Super Steel.

I can't find any photos showing the washout plugs (three on each side according to drawings) in BR days, or indeed anything of the tank tops - if anyone knows of any can you let me know please.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Very good, I had problems with clearances under the tanks with the 4mm one but the holes carved out don't show.

Thanks very much for posting this, glad you enjoyed building it - and don't forget this was only a test etch, not a worked up kit.

We do have some production 4mm Stanier 3P etches now, just need to work out the price.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Just an observation - steam heat pipes are smooth not ribbed. That is how you can tell the difference in poor light.

A cracking model.

Gordon A

Hi Gordon,

Just had a quick look in one or two books on LMS locos and can find plenty of illustrations showing locos with ribbed steam pipes. These shots of 2500 taken at the NRM also show ribbed steam pipes so I am not sure you correct. I haven't spent any time looking, but I dare say it would be possible to find examples that are smooth as well,  but I'm happy with the ones I've fitted. 

Cheers,

Peter

20190227_160159.jpg.79e492017592650fcbf5c0570598482b.jpg

20190227_161224.jpg.99db92179a43c3060a69aee8e20e4bab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, Gordon A said:

Just an observation - steam heat pipes are smooth not ribbed. That is how you can tell the difference in poor light.

A cracking model.

Gordon A

More to the point, the bags were taken off the steam pipes during the summer. April till September IIRC. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We are looking at supplying the chimney and smokebox door, which as far as I know aren't available from anyone else, and I also have mould for the firebox back. The chimney is proving a little difficult to mould, failure rate is very high so far, the other two are easy. All other fittings are available from Gibson, Comet, Brassmasters or 247.

• Informative/Useful 2