Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

Is the chimney not available from Alan Gibson?

These are listed:

4M770 LMS Class 3P 2-6-2T chimney

4M771 LMS Stanier 2-6-2T chimney - large

I presume this means 770 is for the Fowler, and 771 is for the reboilered ones? But thought I should check just in case.

Glad to hear it isn't far away though.

Edited to add: there is also an Ivatt class 2 chimney available from Branchlines, but I think it is slightly thin in comparison?

20200323_195704.jpg.101389903111531fc2f6a06d3fcbcf79.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by Jub45565
added Branchlines option

3 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Edited to add: there is also an Ivatt class 2 chimney available from Branchlines, but I think it is slightly thin in comparison?

20200323_195704.jpg.101389903111531fc2f6a06d3fcbcf79.jpg

Cheers,

Pete

I think that I could live with that.

John Isherwood.

On the 7mm model I used a Laurie Griffin Ivatt class 2 chimney. However, the Ivatt 2s carried three different chimneys, a tall thin version, a medium wider version and a shorter wide version. I used the last one but had to to reduce the height by about 3mm by sawing in two, filing down and resoldering the parts together with a sleeve inside for strength.  This is a link to the chimney. He also does the tall and medium version.

https://www.lgminiatures.co.uk/product/6-017-lms-ivatt-2mt-locomotive/

Hope this helps you chaps in sourcing a  suitable 4mm chimney.

Cheer,

Peter

Edited by PAD
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

One was a Crownline one and the other from Westward, which shows how long I've had them. The 3P chimney Gibson do is very nice and would probably be a good match. 

It depends on whether you want a Fowler or Stanier chimney. The AGW chimney is the Fowler. I don't know if anyone does the Stanier one

• RMweb Premium

Price for the Stanier 3P etch will be £47 + £1.50 postage, add another £4 for the chimney, smokebox door and firebox back mouldings.

All this assuming that the post is still working of course!

You can send a cheque (payable to Judith Edge) to:

5, Chapel Lane,

Carlton,

Barnsley

S.Yorks.

S71 3LE

Alternatively you can pay by bank transfer (I'll send details), PayPal to edgemd@aol.com or phone us on 01226 722309 with a card number.

• Like 1

Just a note of thanks for the swift despatch of the 3P etches Mike, the postal service is currently still holding up!

They look brilliant, but I am going to clear a few other things off the workbench before doing anything with them.

• RMweb Premium

Work resumed on the (LNER) C14 this week, might even get it finished in a day or so.

IMG_0725.JPG.7251646dfc0abc9dab1b647d88cd19ae.JPG

Boiler fitted now, after a few modifications. I belatedly realised that all the C14s had been superheated by 1935 (the original design was for a pre-grouping model) so I had to make a new smokebox and add little bits to the top of the frames - quite prototypically, this is what was actually done. The existing etch for the piano front still fits, slightly different in shape.

The firebox etching worked very well, etched mudhole doors fitted and all the cladding bands. I'll finish this one as an early BR loco 67450 which was unlined.

The water fillers are three etched layers and a duchess pin for the handle. I've also noticed that some of the C14s had an additional square window on the driver's side but this one doesn't appear to have had it.

IMG_0726.JPG.76b1547c0c7af6bada061f9de2da1053.JPG

Now for the fun bit of these GC 4-4-2Ts, the really awkward cab roof.

I've used this technique before for some scratchbuilt ones in 3mm scale but this is the first time I've tried to etch it. First stage is the whole roof with a large hole and just the sides turned up, all this is half etched .015" soldered on to the cab sides and ends.

IMG_0727.JPG.42107dbfe60d08a814ca99ef8c15be39.JPG

Next the ends soldered on with a generous fillet of solder and the top with a hole for the ventilator.

IMG_0728.JPG.f9d4af9c58347a4a39ad09f313b24636.JPG

Viewed from underneath, there's a generous amount of solder in all the joints.

IMG_0729.JPG.d4b97834eb759fc11ddc7c4d645d43fe.JPG

Top all smoothed off with files and emery, final run over with wire brush followed by fibreglass brush. Ventilator and rainstrips still to be fitted, I think it will be OK but I won't really know until it's had a coat of primer.

The alternative idea, used for the 7mm version, was to mould the centre part and fit it to a plain roof plate - I'll take a mould off this one in case that works out better but this method does at least look right inside the cab.

• Like 10

Is there a nice kind person out there who can provide a list of the various components (and who supplies them) required to complete a Stanier 2-6-2T model from Mike's etches, please?

Many thanks if anyone is able to provide this information.  It would allow mail orders to be placed with suppliers in these troubled times.

Stan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Work resumed on the (LNER) C14 this week, might even get it finished in a day or so.

IMG_0725.JPG.7251646dfc0abc9dab1b647d88cd19ae.JPG

Boiler fitted now, after a few modifications. I belatedly realised that all the C14s had been superheated by 1935 (the original design was for a pre-grouping model) so I had to make a new smokebox and add little bits to the top of the frames - quite prototypically, this is what was actually done. The existing etch for the piano front still fits, slightly different in shape.

The firebox etching worked very well, etched mudhole doors fitted and all the cladding bands. I'll finish this one as an early BR loco 67450 which was unlined.

The water fillers are three etched layers and a duchess pin for the handle. I've also noticed that some of the C14s had an additional square window on the driver's side but this one doesn't appear to have had it.

IMG_0726.JPG.76b1547c0c7af6bada061f9de2da1053.JPG

Now for the fun bit of these GC 4-4-2Ts, the really awkward cab roof.

I've used this technique before for some scratchbuilt ones in 3mm scale but this is the first time I've tried to etch it. First stage is the whole roof with a large hole and just the sides turned up, all this is half etched .015" soldered on to the cab sides and ends.

IMG_0727.JPG.42107dbfe60d08a814ca99ef8c15be39.JPG

Next the ends soldered on with a generous fillet of solder and the top with a hole for the ventilator.

IMG_0728.JPG.f9d4af9c58347a4a39ad09f313b24636.JPG

Viewed from underneath, there's a generous amount of solder in all the joints.

IMG_0729.JPG.d4b97834eb759fc11ddc7c4d645d43fe.JPG

Top all smoothed off with files and emery, final run over with wire brush followed by fibreglass brush. Ventilator and rainstrips still to be fitted, I think it will be OK but I won't really know until it's had a coat of primer.

The alternative idea, used for the 7mm version, was to mould the centre part and fit it to a plain roof plate - I'll take a mould off this one in case that works out better but this method does at least look right inside the cab.

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for posting all these construction pictures. I have learnt so much from watching the way you do things. My go to resource on the web. 

Cheers

James 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Stanley Melrose said:

Is there a nice kind person out there who can provide a list of the various components (and who supplies them) required to complete a Stanier 2-6-2T model from Mike's etches, please?

Many thanks if anyone is able to provide this information.  It would allow mail orders to be placed with suppliers in these troubled times.

Stan

That's a very good suggestion, I can't really help much since most of the components I use come from large dumps of "spare parts" and I don't always know where they came from. Next installment on the C14 will demonstrate this.

The list of parts for the Fowler came from Inocentman's trawling round the stands at the York show which isn't exactly a viable option at the moment.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Michael Edge said:

That's a very good suggestion, I can't really help much since most of the components I use come from large dumps of "spare parts" and I don't always know where they came from. Next installment on the C14 will demonstrate this.

The list of parts for the Fowler came from Inocentman's trawling round the stands at the York show which isn't exactly a viable option at the moment.

It was my intention to do the same for the Stanier 3P as I did for the fowler, but alas not possible at the moment 

I have been looking online and trying to do a list but it’s not easy when you can’t see them in the flesh and compare them to a drawing

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 1

Many thanks to Mike and Andy and I appreciate the difficulties in the current situation.  I'm happy to help myself but may I suggest we start with a list of what components are required (besides wheels, motor, gearbox paint, transfers, shed plate, smokebox number plate, various thicknesses of wire), e.g.

Chimney, dome, top feed, washout plugs, buffers, Ross pops, whistle, smokebox dart, handrail knobs, mechanical lubricators, buffers, couplings, etc . . . 

I am sure many of these items are listed by Wizard, Markits, Dave Franks (LMS) and others so I will make a start and return with my efforts.

Stan

• RMweb Premium

I've detailed how to do washout plugs already somewhere - you can't buy them, only GW style ones with a raised rim. I'm fairly sure the domeless boiler top feed cover I used was from Brassmasters, smokebox door handles and cladding band fasteners from Gibson. Mudhole door covers and safety valves i machined myself. The vacuum ejector is from Comet who I think can also supply lubricators. The water fillers are very similar to the ones for the Ivatt 2MT but need modifying since the slope of the tank is different. For handrail pillars I use Markits (usually raided from Judith's stock but don't tell her...), buffers are standard LMS/BR, available from various sources.

That's about all I can help with for now.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Buffers from Lanarkshire Models and Supplies.

LB05A but will need a spacer plate under the flange

or

LB08 but will need a small tread plate on the top of each body

Alan Gibson

4M789 LMS piston valve guides

Cheers...Morgan

• Thanks 2