Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

Hi Mike (E),

This is probably me being thick, so apologies in advance - but could you explain how the ashpan fit please?  From Peter 'PAD's build on Western Thunder, "The ashpan side parts had to be cut to fit them, as Mike had designed them to be fitted before assembling the frames and there was now a spacer in the way. No bother, but I'll need to add some metal behind the lightening holes to represent the the lower firebox sides. I've also added a bottom piece made from spare metal from the boiler sheet."

I appreciate that was both a 7mm version and a test etch, but looking through the parts and drawing there still seems to be a conflict between that frame spacer and the ashpan?

One for the parts list Stanley is that they could have separate top feed and dome, or combined. Both options are available from Millholme Models/Stevensons Carriages (not sure if they do the correct dome though).

52 minutes ago, 45609 said:

Buffers from Lanarkshire Models and Supplies.

LB05A but will need a spacer plate under the flange

or

LB08 but will need a small tread plate on the top of each body

Alan Gibson

4M789 LMS piston valve guides

Cheers...Morgan

Apologies to Dave Franks but I confess I was only looking for sprung buffers.  As for some of my conjectures, it's tricky looking at catalogues with inadequate descriptions and no illustrations on which to make better judgements . . .

Fort instance, the Markits catalogue that I accessed is over 7 years old and may contain items no longer available - the prices will almost certainly be different.  The Alan Gibson catalogue is 2 years old.  This is not to criticise those two stalwart suppliers from whom I have had excellent service but to excuse any errors in the table I posted earlier.

Stan

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Jub45565 said:

Hi Mike (E),

This is probably me being thick, so apologies in advance - but could you explain how the ashpan fit please?  From Peter 'PAD's build on Western Thunder, "The ashpan side parts had to be cut to fit them, as Mike had designed them to be fitted before assembling the frames and there was now a spacer in the way. No bother, but I'll need to add some metal behind the lightening holes to represent the the lower firebox sides. I've also added a bottom piece made from spare metal from the boiler sheet."

I appreciate that was both a 7mm version and a test etch, but looking through the parts and drawing there still seems to be a conflict between that frame spacer and the ashpan?

One for the parts list Stanley is that they could have separate top feed and dome, or combined. Both options are available from Millholme Models/Stevensons Carriages (not sure if they do the correct dome though).

Fit the ashpan sides inside the frames before assembly, there's a slot in them for the spacer to fit through.

Strictly speaking there wasn't a "combined dome and top feed", this is just a partly dome shaped top feed cover, the boilers are domeless.

12 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Fit the ashpan sides inside the frames before assembly, there's a slot in them for the spacer to fit through.

Strictly speaking there wasn't a "combined dome and top feed", this is just a partly dome shaped top feed cover, the boilers are domeless.

Hi Mike ,

I  could be wrong but I don't think the ashpan sides should be flush with the inner face of the frames. If they were, there would be no room between the front edges of ashpan and the rear spring hangers on the middle axle. I  set the sides inboard of frames so I could fit the scratched up plastic laminates to the springs. It's  not a critical point, but I think even in 4mm, the appearance would be improved by setting them inboard a little This could be done by soldering them to the spacer before fitting.

Cheers,

Peter

20200220_222901.jpg.cc955c271c1f81b87d01c3d89de00431.jpg

Edited by PAD
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

That's why the lower part of the ashpan below the frame is half etched - to give the impression that it's spaced away from the inside face of the frame. This isn't really very visible in 4mm scale anyway but easy enough to do what you suggest.

On 28/03/2020 at 12:04, Michael Edge said:

First batch of Stanier 3P etches all gone now, please don't send any more payments. We will get some more as soon as we can but who knows when that will be in the present circumstances?

Can I put my name down for a set of 3P etches when they are back in stock?

Apologies if this has been asked before, Michael, but is there a particular reason for not producing the Stanier and Fowler 3Ps as full kits? I would assume that the number of castings required has something to do with it. Combined with the possibility of getting undercut by RTR producers?

Part of the reason i ask is because i saw an Alan Gibson kit for a Fowler 3P 2-6-2t recently sell for £210 on ebay. Admittedly, it had a wheel set and a motor, but even so, there must be demand for full kits of that prototype.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Daniel W said:

Apologies if this has been asked before, Michael, but is there a particular reason for not producing the Stanier and Fowler 3Ps as full kits? I would assume that the number of castings required has something to do with it. Combined with the possibility of getting undercut by RTR producers?

Part of the reason i ask is because i saw an Alan Gibson kit for a Fowler 3P 2-6-2t recently sell for £210 on ebay. Admittedly, it had a wheel set and a motor, but even so, there must be demand for full kits of that prototype.

Put simply, I don't have an infinite amount of time available. It takes a lot more time and effort to produce a fully worked up kit, the easy bit is producing and selling the etched parts.

In the last 18 years we have expanded from nothing to a range of more than 50 kits, we have also done many of these in different scales - and this isn't even my full time job.

The range of "etches only" grew out of my selling off (via RMweb actually) some spare etches which I had produced for my own use and this promptly snowballed into a significant part of Judith's business. While there is a demand for these etches we will keep on supplying them.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
On 30/03/2020 at 21:05, PAD said:

Hi Mike ,

I  could be wrong but I don't think the ashpan sides should be flush with the inner face of the frames. If they were, there would be no room between the front edges of ashpan and the rear spring hangers on the middle axle. I  set the sides inboard of frames so I could fit the scratched up plastic laminates to the springs. It's  not a critical point, but I think even in 4mm, the appearance would be improved by setting them inboard a little This could be done by soldering them to the spacer before fitting.

Cheers,

Peter

20200220_222901.jpg.cc955c271c1f81b87d01c3d89de00431.jpg

Sorry to be critical but are you sure you haven't  built that one upside down?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, t-b-g said:

Sorry to be critical but are you sure you haven't  built that one upside down?

Its for a layout in Australia:jester:

Baz

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 30/03/2020 at 17:23, Michael Edge said:

Last instalment on the LNER C14.

IMG_0730.JPG.7a5c49f821ef48d563459afbbfef3459.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG.f64ad4518132fedfc5ee55d47fd631d8.JPG

More or less finished, coupling rods tried on, brakes, sand and balance weights added. The Romford wheel nuts are covered with small discs cut from insulation tape with a leather punch.

IMG_0735.JPG.c387b3740b0fd2fc0863d6c1309c14b5.JPG

Frames painted, wheels cleaned, coupling rods fitted permanently now and motor/gearbox fitted.

IMG_0736.JPG.45a6321bdad9e24968630f0182eaa2b2.JPG

Buffers fitted now after grit blasting - this isn't to leave them bright, steam loco buffers weren't, but because the grit gets in and gums them up. Photo reminds me that I still have few smokebox rivets to add with Super Steel epoxy. The loco runs perfectly round my vicious 28" radius test track reverse curve, proving that huge cutouts for the bogie and trailing wheels are completely unnecessary. The trailing internal pony truck (to match the radial axleboxes of the full size loco) tracks perfectly. I have no real use for this loco but I suppose it might make an appearance now and again at Brunswick.

We'll put this etch into production as soon as everything gets back to something like normal.

Hello Mike. If you have a list for the C14 I would love to have my name on it for 4mm and 7mm scales if it could be done in both. Another lovely GCR loco to add to the kit drawer!

I presume you have scrounged the chimney and dome from the spares box. They look close but to me they don't  quite capture the appearance of the real thing as well as the rest of the loco. I know time is a big factor but with your turning ability, I am sure you could get them much better.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Daniel W said:

Have you tried Colin Seymour at Gibson. Some kits are produced in small batches and it may be worth enquiring as to the why and wherefore?