Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

There won't be any specific drive arrangement included, it has been designed round Slater's 7136 wheels - these are a bit on the small side so the frame height has been adjusted in the production etch. Any small motor/gearbox for 1/8th axles will do and a pair of 8T sprockets and chain to connect the axles.1439094648_7mmdrivetop.jpg.2d804a882cc89a13e4b6b485d3715302.jpg

1978489064_7mmdriveunderneath.jpg.2d2177cffff0ab4f6f2742839a07ec05.jpg

The one I have built has one of the n20 motors with a spur gearbox driving on to the axle with a couple of plastic spur gears. I could have done this with a motor to each axle but this one small motor has more power than this tiny loco could ever use.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mike, that is a good explanation.

It is the sourcing of the motor/box and chain etc that worries me - without specific direction as to where to get them.  What a lovely model though!  I once saw the prototype trying to push a rake of about 30 21T hoppers, on sand with sparks flashing through the 3 link couplings as it struggled for a return current path!  It did manage to move them up the road to make space, very slowly and with a smell of hot motors wafting about.  I presume there was a delay in 13 coming to fetch the empties back to Hilda yard.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

It is the sourcing of the motor/box and chain etc that worries me - without specific direction as to where to get them.  What a lovely model though!  I once saw the prototype trying to push a rake of about 30 21T hoppers, on sand with sparks flashing through the 3 link couplings as it struggled for a return current path!  It did manage to move them up the road to make space, very slowly and with a smell of hot motors wafting about.  I presume there was a delay in 13 coming to fetch the empties back to Hilda yard.

Not sure about the chain, but the motor & gearbox combination is available on ebay - usually loads of sellers, very cheap and with numerous combinations of gearbox etc.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Not sure about the chain, but the motor & gearbox combination is available on ebay - usually loads of sellers, very cheap and with numerous combinations of gearbox etc.

I think the answer for me is to source the drive parts before getting the lit - if I can't then it would never get built, but I really fancy building one.

Edit - motor/box sourced  ;-)

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 2

Hi Neil, Glad to see that you've joined us on the 'dark side' (7mm).  A few suppliers of Delrin chain/sprockets have been mentioned on here - Branchlines, Slaters (although I can't find it on their website) and Easy-build.  I bought a Walsworth Y3 Sentinel kit last year but haven't got around to building it yet.  It comes complete with motor, delrin chain and sprockets so it might be worth giving them a call or e-mail. You're welcome to have look at the chain and see if it suits your purpose.

When I was at Southport we had a Greenwood & Batley 4wh battery electric shunter with tram type controller and gong.  Great fun to drive and surprisingly powerful for its size.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, after a fairly low key response to the suggestion of a 7mm J63, I have been contacted by somebody who had a GP Models one they were looking for a new home for, so I will probably back track on that request.

I think you have enough on at the moment Mike, without me adding to the list!

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Chain and sprockets readily available from several sources, I get it from Branchlines. I keep buying these motors as and when I find them on Ebay, this configuration isn't as common (or as cheap) as the inline vesion but it's not critical to powering this loco - any large 4mm motor/gearbox will fit easily and provide enough power.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Chain and sprockets readily available from several sources, I get it from Branchlines. I keep buying these motors as and when I find them on Ebay, this configuration isn't as common (or as cheap) as the inline vesion but it's not critical to powering this loco - any large 4mm motor/gearbox will fit easily and provide enough power.

I'm guessing that this may be suitable; there appears to be numerous options for rpm but I've no idea what would be the best?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3V-6V-12V-DC-Micro-U-Typ-Inversion-Speed-Reduction-Gear-Box-Motor-N20-15-4000RPM/202275432836?hash=item2f188e2984:g:GVEAAOSwIzBaveOM

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the posts.  I have sourced most of the parts, as Mike says the particular configuration is more expensive, but still cheap, and the chain and sprockets are pennies from an e bay supplier - ordered.  I need to get the spur gears now, will wait to measure the output shaft of the 'box before ordering.

Then....beg for the monies from SWMBO for the loco, as a recently 'enforced retired' person monies are suddenly a bit tight.  :-(  Next month hopefully.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

NHN ... a slippery slope.. next up a ex NER number 13 in O Gauge..

Baz

Long being thought about Baz, although oo at the time, but there's no way 13 will go around the curves on my O gauge layout, so it's a non starter.  But a Westoe EE/Baguley.....or ES1.......or an EB1/EF1....oh yes.....then catenary...aaiieeee!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Thanks for the posts.  I have sourced most of the parts, as Mike says the particular configuration is more expensive, but still cheap, and the chain and sprockets are pennies from an e bay supplier - ordered.  I need to get the spur gears now, will wait to measure the output shaft of the 'box before ordering.

Then....beg for the monies from SWMBO for the loco, as a recently 'enforced retired' person monies are suddenly a bit tight.  :-(  Next month hopefully.

The spur gears were in a job lot of miscellaneous plastic gears, also from china via Ebay.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2020 at 16:37, Michael Edge said:

We have some LNER V4 etches available now, price is £51.50 including postage. Mouldings for the chimney and dome are included.

Hi Mike,

What else is required to source separately please, apart from the usual wheels etc? I'm assuming this isn't a full kit?

Thanks, Brian

• RMweb Premium

No it's not a full kit, paper patterns to cut the boiler and firebox from brass sheet and I don't think there are any steps on there. Generally these etches cover all the parts that need to be etched either for accuracy or detail but for reasons of space some simple parts aren't included. The dome is specific to these locos and I didn't think it would be available from anywhere, while moulding that I took a mould from the chimney as well. Other fittings should be available from other sources and the usual motor/wheels/buffers etc. You do get the full CAD drawing of my GA for the model and a parts identification sheet. 

V4 parts identification.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well, finally got the website to upload, there had been a problem with the host saying our account was out of date to which I countered but we're still being billed for the website, oh they said.... Eventually they sent a patch and a new pass code number and we've spent all afternoon trying to get it all to work, it did work eventually through Opera but wouldn't load on Firefox until we deleted our cache/history and uploaded again then all of a sudden it was there, way hey.
So if it's okay with Mike I've put the Stanier 3P tank boiler fittings I've made for the Judith Edge kit on the website in the miscellaneous section.
The LMS home page is showing November 2020 date, if you don't get the right page with a link or favourites then use the address www.lanarkshiremodels.com and save that as there may be a couple of ghost pages still around.

Cheers all
Dave Franks

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

So a kit for the loco, some 21T minerals required, a bit of track and some of the simple overhead..model of the Stairhs is go then @New Haven Neil..

Baz

I'll have to electrify the Forest of Dean layout.....or maybe just a Westoe inglenook shunting plank.  I used to hang around High Staithes and Hilda Hole yard a lot, so......hmmmmmmmmm!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I'll have to electrify the Forest of Dean layout.....or maybe just a Westoe inglenook shunting plank.  I used to hang around High Staithes and Hilda Hole yard a lot, so......hmmmmmmmmm!!!!  

Nice idea, Neil :good:

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 17:03, Michael Edge said:

Don't forget she'll be a really fierce sand dancer - nearly put Geordie but it's the wrong side of the Tyne.

You can take a lass out of Sheels - but you can't take Sheels out of a lass :o:dancer::help:

- and if you aren't looking to live long, call a Sand Dancer a Geordie... :hunter:

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 1