Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium
On 17/11/2020 at 22:19, Marshall5 said:

Hi Neil, Glad to see that you've joined us on the 'dark side' (7mm).  A few suppliers of Delrin chain/sprockets have been mentioned on here - Branchlines, Slaters (although I can't find it on their website) and Easy-build.  I bought a Walsworth Y3 Sentinel kit last year but haven't got around to building it yet.  It comes complete with motor, delrin chain and sprockets so it might be worth giving them a call or e-mail. You're welcome to have look at the chain and see if it suits your purpose.

When I was at Southport we had a Greenwood & Batley 4wh battery electric shunter with tram type controller and gong.  Great fun to drive and surprisingly powerful for its size.

Cheers,

Ray.

hi Ray - sorry I hadn't spotted this - and you're on Fraggle Rock too!  I take it the avatar is the wildlife park line?

• RMweb Premium
On 18/11/2020 at 15:54, Michael Edge said:

No it's not a full kit, paper patterns to cut the boiler and firebox from brass sheet and I don't think there are any steps on there. Generally these etches cover all the parts that need to be etched either for accuracy or detail but for reasons of space some simple parts aren't included. The dome is specific to these locos and I didn't think it would be available from anywhere, while moulding that I took a mould from the chimney as well. Other fittings should be available from other sources and the usual motor/wheels/buffers etc. You do get the full CAD drawing of my GA for the model and a parts identification sheet. 

V4 etches look first class Mike and the drawings supplied are very useful. Whilst the etches require a little more work than, say, a PDK kit*, they are very good value.

I see the V4 is the next project for the A1 Steam Trust after the P2. I hope to get my V4 finished before theirs!

Kind regards,

Richard B

* No criticism intended, PDK kits are very good!

• RMweb Premium

I built up the test for the 7mm Stone-Faiveley pantograph yesterday.IMG_0397.jpg.3fda4322d1f8bebaca5de3fcc11849f0.jpg

Here it is on the wooden block it's built on, with the 4mm version for comparison. It all went together with no real problems, just one part needs a small modification. The additional rod from the head is there, just obscured by the upper arm on this side - it doesn't actually work to keep the head level but it does have to be there.

We are still waiting for the 4mm production etches to arrive, the 7mm version should be out early next year.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've been working on replacement drive systems for the 6w Steelman kit since it looks as though the Bullant drive isn't going to be around much longer.

1044097443_replacementBullanttest.jpg.d536788481b49950963aaa1ec4a22e93.jpg

I've etched two options so far, this is the first one I've got running. It mimics the Bullant and fixes with the same screws, uses .5 module plastic worm and pinion gears. The other option is fully compensated but doesn't have any drive system - in wider gauges it wouldn't be difficult to use chains to connect the axles but it's a tight squeeze in 00.

384115252_compensatedframe.jpg.0d59e222917bc25b71effc5fc869ec91.jpg

If these tests are successful I can move on to the GEC 6w DE.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hey Mike, Steelman chassis coming along nicely. For the compensated one, can Chris @highlevel help out with a modular gear train to transfer the drive between axles (like the Ruston 48 / 88 DS?) I notice that the mod 0.5 gears come in many shapes and sizes and could be useful, and many of the the ready to run mob use these in their diesel bogie gear towers. 

J

• RMweb Premium

The Black Beetle was an accurate option - just that they said they couldn't supply with the right size wheels but they were easy to change. Best option now for the NER Bo+Bos is this, using the non-powered option from the kit with double ended Mitsumi motors. Tenshodo bogies will fit but are a compromise on wheels and wheelbase.

IMG_0511.JPG.cb43ef314f7aae320ddd3cd58d35fe82.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG.06307cedc46bb76ad238d29f100d6fc9.JPG

I haven't figured out a way to compensate them though.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In P4 yes but you need a narrow gearbox to fit alongside the chains and the sprockets only come with 1/8th or 3/16th axle holes. I built these two EE type 4 bogies in EM with chain drive and compensation.

IMG_0704.JPG.d62117a24b6ce9d9fb39dd4323e1801f.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG.c8eaafdd23cf7850c1b33dba31891299.JPG

IMG_0708.JPG.244793ed3bff42bb49387d96c288b288.JPG

Wheels are Gibson, which come on 1/8th axles, gearboxes are High Level.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Having caught up with the complete thread (it took some reading) and looking at the superb models, I'd love to join the fray... Not sure which suits, but likely an MoD Steelman Royale.

Have I missed any more on Michael's background project of the EM1 ?

I bought some Heljan/Olivia's versions but they were a disappointment - sold them on.  It would be good to finally get an accurate model to market, even if it sat on a Heljan chassis (though the NE Bo-Bo frames mentioned a few post ago may be close enough).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, daveyb said:

It would be good to finally get an accurate model to market, even if it sat on a Heljan chassis (though the NE Bo-Bo frames mentioned a few post ago may be close enough).

I'm fully confident that when the much awaited EM1 arrives Mike won't be dealing in "close enough"!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I'm fully confident that when the much awaited EM1 arrives Mike won't be dealing in "close enough"!

Mike.

Yes, poorly worded there, for certain! I meant similar in design rather than 'that'll do'.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

Mike

Which high level gear box and whcih sprockets would you use?

Thanks

Paul

The EE bogies have Roadrunner gearboxes and Mabuchi motors but you wouldn't need that much power for an EF1. The Roadrunner at 8.7mm is about the narrowest of the HL boxes, chains are 4mm wide, 14.5mm between my EM frames. Sprockets are the smallest available - 8T, 1/8th axle. The bogie stretchers in the NER kits give a distance of 13.5mm between frames so it would be a bit tighter here. I have used chain drive in a 00 gauge EE1 but in that case I used a Branchlines slimline gearbox which is 6.5mm wide.

• Informative/Useful 2