Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, daveyb said:

Yes, poorly worded there, for certain! I meant similar in design rather than 'that'll do'.

Bogie design for the EM1 is already done, I have a pair to build for WJ at the moment. The design is much the same as the EF1 with Mitsumi motors.

DSCF1716.JPG.2189a3555403559d7acd2c96c5fe7d99.JPG

This is an earlier version with Mashima 14x26 motors and flywheels. Press studs for pivots and a simple square tube frame to fit in the DC kits resin body.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The EE bogies have Roadrunner gearboxes and Mabuchi motors but you wouldn't need that much power for an EF1. The Roadrunner at 8.7mm is about the narrowest of the HL boxes, chains are 4mm wide, 14.5mm between my EM frames. Sprockets are the smallest available - 8T, 1/8th axle. The bogie stretchers in the NER kits give a distance of 13.5mm between frames so it would be a bit tighter here. I have used chain drive in a 00 gauge EE1 but in that case I used a Branchlines slimline gearbox which is 6.5mm wide.

Thanks for that information. Looks like I'll need to order one.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Bogie design for the EM1 is already done, I have a pair to build for WJ at the moment. The design is much the same as the EF1 with Mitsumi motors.

DSCF1716.JPG.2189a3555403559d7acd2c96c5fe7d99.JPG

This is an earlier version with Mashima 14x26 motors and flywheels. Press studs for pivots and a simple square tube frame to fit in the DC kits resin body.

Good old press studs. I use them for semi-permanently coupled coaches too. A good trick is to use a male half one size smaller than the female half, to get nice free movement.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

The complications are inevitable (but it does look good, thus far). I know that they weren’t remotely Western Section machines but I don’t suppose I’ll be able to resist. Lots of space for a good size flywheel in there...

Adam

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Prompted by some comments on my workbench thread I got round to some pattern making yesterday. 

IMG_0442.jpg.963a296a37a036c848c5c40f1a7f33bb.jpg

This is the Sentinel oil fired 0-6-0 which has been gathering dust up there for quite a few years now. Patterns done for the boiler (not much detail on this as I have no photographs of it) and sandboxes at top. Next row, headlights and enormous dumb buffers for the Dorman Long locos, also something which I think is to do with fuelling.

Bottom row two alternative toolboxes - at least I can't find a photo of a loco with both of these.

It will still be a good while before this kit appears, I have a heavily altered second test etch to build - this one will be the normal height cab version as supplied to GKN.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 24/12/2020 at 07:44, Michael Edge said:

I'll have to give that gear train some thought, the gears are readily available.

Meanwhile I got the test etch for the SR 0-6-0DE out.

Hi Mike,

Lovely work - so good I'm not sure if it is 4 or 7mm? Good luck with the first build.

Assuming the kit is 4mm I will certainly have one thanks. First exam I took part in as an apprentice was 15201 at Eastleigh DD in 1964. The loco was scrapped later that year if it wasn't already!!

Kind regards,

Richard B

On 19/12/2020 at 15:18, Michael Edge said:

I've been working on replacement drive systems for the 6w Steelman kit since it looks as though the Bullant drive isn't going to be around much longer.

1044097443_replacementBullanttest.jpg.d536788481b49950963aaa1ec4a22e93.jpg

I've etched two options so far, this is the first one I've got running. It mimics the Bullant and fixes with the same screws, uses .5 module plastic worm and pinion gears. The other option is fully compensated but doesn't have any drive system - in wider gauges it wouldn't be difficult to use chains to connect the axles but it's a tight squeeze in 00.

384115252_compensatedframe.jpg.0d59e222917bc25b71effc5fc869ec91.jpg

If these tests are successful I can move on to the GEC 6w DE.

Im glad you have come up with a solution for this kit Mike. It had put me off with the bullant drive no longer available. 

I had always wondered if these could be run on a high level gearbox like whats used in the 48 & 88ds. 

I will be in touch about one of these soon. I think i have all the other thomas hill kits you have done.

• RMweb Premium

Most of the Sentinel 0-6-0s were built for Dorman Long (Lackenby), three were built for GKN with normal height cabs - they also ended up with DL. There was one prototype, trialled on the Shropshire & Mongomeryshire, eventually on loan at DL before scrapping. Two were rebuilt into the first 0-6-0DH locos, also for DL, this is the origin of the unnecessarily  low cab roof in all the Sentinels and also the rather difficult brake gear which came straight from the steam locos.

Thanks for posting the photos of your Steelman Royale in your own thread as well.

On 30/12/2020 at 13:17, Michael Edge said:

Most of the Sentinel 0-6-0s were built for Dorman Long (Lackenby), three were built for GKN with normal height cabs - they also ended up with DL. There was one prototype, trialled on the Shropshire & Mongomeryshire, eventually on loan at DL before scrapping. Two were rebuilt into the first 0-6-0DH locos, also for DL, this is the origin of the unnecessarily  low cab roof in all the Sentinels and also the rather difficult brake gear which came straight from the steam locos.

Thanks for posting the photos of your Steelman Royale in your own thread as well.

Mike i look forward to one of those sentinels there was a video that cropped up recently that featured the DL sentinels. I will see if i can find it again.

My Steelman i am hoping to have finished by weekend & the paintwork started. Its going to be a BSC loco from teesside. 

Rochdale road the 562hp Hunslet is a belting kit for your money.

20200119_082233.jpg.003108be15aa9f4aef31450139b909f7.jpg

20200120_184740.jpg.432bf4c071e81cfc2546e4771a243ca6.jpg

Mike i hope you do the Hunslet bo bo it would go nicely with this one. 

I know someone who would probably have a few of those too.

That DL Sentinel has got me very excited that will go nicely with the steelman I'm currently doing. Its going to be painted in BSC teesside colours 

• Like 12

12 hours ago, Rhb Simon said:

Rochdale road the 562hp Hunslet is a belting kit for your money.

20200119_082233.jpg.003108be15aa9f4aef31450139b909f7.jpg

20200120_184740.jpg.432bf4c071e81cfc2546e4771a243ca6.jpg

Simon,

Many thanks for that, it really is a stunning kit isn't it.  How did you find it went together? I am thinking an initial build of one will need to take place .. followed by another couple for internal steel movements on the big layout, when its built!

Richie

14 hours ago, Rochdale Road said:

Simon,

Many thanks for that, it really is a stunning kit isn't it.  How did you find it went together? I am thinking an initial build of one will need to take place .. followed by another couple for internal steel movements on the big layout, when its built!

Richie

Richie as long as you follow the instructions & take care its straight forward. I have made plenty of Mike's kits & they are well designed, with excellent part fit. They are also great value for money.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2019 at 17:57, Michael Edge said:

First test etch of the Stone Faiveley single arm pantograph built today.

I hope you can forgive me cutting to the chase, skipping the subsequent 16 pages and asking whether this has reached the point of being buyable? I can't see it here https://ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge.html  but that might be because I am blind as well as impatient :-)

I actually have my fingers crossed for the later version with the two additional tubes and arch on the upper arm (forearm??) as fitted to class 86 and lots and lots of EMUs.

• RMweb Premium

We are waiting for the production etches, they should have been in the order we got just before Christmas but weren't, presumably they will be in our next order or on back order from the first one. We'll try to check next week now all the holidays are over.

I've only done the original version, it can probably be modified to look like the later ones.

• Like 1