Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

On 19/12/2020 at 15:18, Michael Edge said:

I've been working on replacement drive systems for the 6w Steelman kit since it looks as though the Bullant drive isn't going to be around much longer.

1044097443_replacementBullanttest.jpg.d536788481b49950963aaa1ec4a22e93.jpg

I've etched two options so far, this is the first one I've got running. It mimics the Bullant and fixes with the same screws, uses .5 module plastic worm and pinion gears. The other option is fully compensated but doesn't have any drive system - in wider gauges it wouldn't be difficult to use chains to connect the axles but it's a tight squeeze in 00.

384115252_compensatedframe.jpg.0d59e222917bc25b71effc5fc869ec91.jpg

If these tests are successful I can move on to the GEC 6w DE.

Bullants appear to be available again.

http://motorbogies.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_5

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

For everyone who has requested one of these we now have production etches for the LNER (GCR) C14 4-4-2T, price is £35 + £1.50 postage.

You can send a cheque (payable to Judith Edge) to:

5, Chapel Lane,

Carlton,

Barnsley

S.Yorks.

S71 3LE

Alternatively you can pay by bank transfer (I'll send details - they haven't changed if you have used this before), PayPal to edgemd@aol.com or phone us on 01226 722309 with a card number.

Judith and Michael Edge

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

For everyone who has requested one of these we now have production etches for the LNER (GCR) C14 4-4-2T, price is £35 + £1.50 postage.

You can send a cheque (payable to Judith Edge) to:

5, Chapel Lane,

Carlton,

Barnsley

S.Yorks.

S71 3LE

Alternatively you can pay by bank transfer (I'll send details - they haven't changed if you have used this before), PayPal to edgemd@aol.com or phone us on 01226 722309 with a card number.

Judith and Michael Edge

Just to make absolutely sure I don't end up with two 7mm ones Mike, is that the 4mm one? I wasn't sure if my earlier 7mm counted as a production etch.

If so, expect some pennies from me!

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes we've got some now, remind us of your address and we'll send you a set - assuming you already have the loco etch.

Hi Mike ,Is the missing etch for the Stanier something we need to pay extra for ?

Thanks, Duncan

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

First version of the Sentinel 0-6-0 now finished with all its mouldings.

IMG_0454.jpg.9f47bb930d5bb00ac35b7570bd032c22.jpg

The huge dumb buffers and electric headlights were only on the Dorman Long locos, the prototype loco and the GKN ones had conventional buffers - not all had the full set of lamp brackets seen here either.

What a beast!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A prop forward loco?

Mike.

Well it does have a prop shaft in there....

Drive from the engine mounted at the front was taken by cardan shaft to a final drive box on the centre axle, this arrangement was perpetuated in the diesels with a Rolls Royce C6 in place of the Sentinel steam engine.

I think AlfaZagato may be underestimating this but it might be easier with the second test etch - I hope so anyway.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Michael Edge said:

Well it does have a prop shaft in there....

Drive from the engine mounted at the front was taken by cardan shaft to a final drive box on the centre axle, this arrangement was perpetuated in the diesels with a Rolls Royce C6 in place of the Sentinel steam engine.

I think AlfaZagato may be underestimating this but it might be easier with the second test etch - I hope so anyway.

That sounds extremely Sentinel. I like it! However tricky it ends up being, I'll build one.

Adam

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm wondering how to maintain quartering on press fit flying cranks.

But that aside, it's a lovely model of a chunky prototype. 

Not that any of the JE kits I have built have done stellar mileages, but, as the fly crank is free wheeling so to speak and only along for the ride, a good press fit is adequate, it carries no stress unlike a driven axle and I've never had an issue.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm wondering how to maintain quartering on press fit flying cranks.

But that aside, it's a lovely model of a chunky prototype. 

When you find out please tell the operators of full size 08s.....

Seriously though the cranks should be a good press fit on the axles but these 2mm ones are a bit delicate (the cranks are quite thin as well). If they do shift, soldering on the outside usually fixes them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

All the C14s (for the moment) have gone now so please don't send any more payments. We will get more but I've no idea what the etchers are doing yet, will try contacting them next week. Meanwhile stocks of almost everything are running low.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

With the recent increase in Royal Mail's prices ....

They snuck that one in on the QT, didn't they?

The price increase is usually on 01/04 or thereabouts - and I bulk-buy stamps during the previous week.

I got well caught this year! :o

John Isherwood.

• Friendly/supportive 1