Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

On 31/03/2021 at 08:33, Michael Edge said:

We're still waiting for the L&Y Pug driving wheels from Gibson (ordered last November!) but I found these 3ft diameter diesel wheels which will do for now to set it up on, they are the same tyre size and go on 1/8th axles.

Michael,

You might want to chase AGW - I ordered some L&Y Pug wheels (one set in 00/EM and two sets in P4) from them about a month ago and they turned-up within a couple of weeks.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I've done all the work on 7050 to write the instructions now.

IMG_0515.jpg.4da991955736616deaaf98f49e0ec679.jpg

As Mike has pointed out it's not as clean as usual but it has served to remind me how it goes together. No work done below the footplate before I get the right wheels but there's nothing difficult down there. We should be ready to get this out by the end of next week or so. It's a nice little loco which has had a very long life but I don't think any more were built.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2021 at 09:33, Michael Edge said:

This is the spare second test etch from quite a few years ago, it's nickel silver but the production etches are brass.

4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Is that nickle silver?

Pay attention at the back!!

Mike.

• Funny 4

On 31/03/2021 at 15:33, Michael Edge said:

This is the spare second test etch from quite a few years ago, it's nickel silver but the production etches are brass.

IMG_0511.jpg.9db5ed41303a1c6030d833c2643c9f3a.jpg

We're still waiting for the L&Y Pug driving wheels from Gibson (ordered last November!) but I found these 3ft diameter diesel wheels which will do for now to set it up on, they are the same tyre size and go on 1/8th axles. This is the later closed cab, originally the sides were open, both options are on the etch. There was also some sort of exhaust gas conditioner on the cab roof, this was removed, probably in 1944 when 7050 acquired a Gardner engine. I'll build this one as it was for most of its life with the MoD.

IMG_0513.jpg.8375966ee138fe6f15388dc4629ede7c.jpg

The three main components here, frames and wheels which will be left like this for now, footplate with the inner cab floor and the cab/engine casing. The cab is complete, engine casing just started with the sides soldered to the base. It's really important to keep this flat, photo shows how I sand it on a piece of wet and dry laid on the bench top - and check it at every stage. This part of the body is nearly all of the torsional stiffness of the model, if this isn't straight nothing else will be when it's all bolted up.

IMG_0514.jpg.ea5ab1a73faa6a434849a93046aac40b.jpg

Radiator end attached now, there is an outer layer to this but it wasn't correctly etched on the test so I've left it off for now. I fitted all the doors and handgrabs while the sides were flat, I'm coming round to the idea that this is the best option for many of the kits now.

The casing top was a bit difficult to form in nickel silver, the brass production ones will be much easier. It will be just soldered on top of the sides, there's an etched strip to conceal the joint line.There is a former for the back end of the engine casing but as usual I've left it out to make soldering to the cab front easier, it is needed to check the hape of the top while forming the curves though.

Thanks for keeping us all updated Mike and sharing your 'tips of the trade'. Helps muchly. 

AG seems under the pump at the moment. I enquired a few weeks back, but he is not taking any international orders at the moment. Lucky can forward stuff via a UK address, but it seems I'm going to have to wait a while. 

J

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

We got  a huge etch order this morning, includes the following:

More LNER C14s

Stone-Faiveley pantographs (not ready or priced yet)

Altered Fell cranks

More Liskeard & Caradon locos - we have both types in stock now.

Lots more stuff and we have an enormous backlog to get through - if anyone is waiting for previously ordered kits back in stock we'll be in touch over the next week or so.

The LMS Drewry just needs pricing now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Very nice Tony, your cab roof looks better than mine.

Thanks Mike. Kind words from somebody with your ability mean a lot.

Mine isn't hollow inside although I suppose that I could cut away the centre of the main part if I wanted. I made the raised centre part plus the two side sloping bits as one part, bent the sides down and soldered it on, then used your front and back banana shaped bits as templates to make new ones. I did find that I had to make them a bit longer than yours. I think my top is slightly nearer square and less rectangular than the etch.

It really is a very awkward shape to make from flat sheet and I genuinely think that I got a bit lucky at how well it went, first time. It isn't often I look at something I have made and think "you clever sod" but I did with that roof.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Thanks Mike. Kind words from somebody with your ability mean a lot.

Mine isn't hollow inside although I suppose that I could cut away the centre of the main part if I wanted. I made the raised centre part plus the two side sloping bits as one part, bent the sides down and soldered it on, then used your front and back banana shaped bits as templates to make new ones. I did find that I had to make them a bit longer than yours. I think my top is slightly nearer square and less rectangular than the etch.

It really is a very awkward shape to make from flat sheet and I genuinely think that I got a bit lucky at how well it went, first time. It isn't often I look at something I have made and think "you clever sod" but I did with that roof.

Jammy Gee strikes again?

Mike.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Jammy Gee strikes again?

Mike.

I once said, to the person who gave me that name, that if I was "jammy" enough times, he might, one day, accept that an element of skill might be involved.

But in this instance, I think that title was earned!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The LMS Drewry 0-4-0M 7050 is now ready, price is £50 + £4 postage.

1110202903_05-33flptd.JPG.f3eb12ff83615a2b9a870bf4384cac60.JPG

This is the one I built from the test etch about 15 years ago, still haven't been able to finish the latest one - no wheels from Gibson.

• Like 15