Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The Kitson 0F 0-4-0ST kit is now on sale at £60 + £3 p&p.

I'd just like to stress just how lovely this little loco is in the flesh. I was very very tempted at Wigan, only my steely determination to concentrate on getting my O gauge layout up and running prevented a purchase.

Any chance of an O gauge version Michael?

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone apart from Mike built the Kitson yet? and got one running?

Im just reading/re reading/re re reading the instructions to get my head round it.

not making a start on it yet as ive no rivetting tool, seems theres quite a few to punch out.

I havent yet chosen on what wheels and what motor/gearbox to use, hoping to get a high level one in the boiler without cutting it leaving the saddle tank for weight.

Mike, do you have any shots of the assembled chassis and in particular the rocking front please?

Edited by michael delamar

Hi Mike, you wernt kidding when you said the saddle on the kitson is a bit tricky, you can tell they didnt teach metalwork when I was in school :)

Chris Hewitt rolled all the bits for me last night, but when he bent the sharp angle curve at the bottom of the tank it was creased, he would have left it, problem was he soldered on the ends then tried to bend the angle,

today I removed the soldered ends with my RSU, then its been in the gas hob, vice and bend with pliers and tapped with a toffee hammer, Ive soldered the ends back on and im very happy with it as it was about to go in the bin last night, spent all morning on it.

looks horrible in pic as its dirty from being in the gas hob and its a big close up of something quite small but its all straight and true now :)

post-27-0-06953300-1342872302_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

and with boiler soldered together and smokebox wrappers and smokebox front...

the saddle tank is only just placed on, as are the cab front and resin castings..

It will be a while before I make any more real progress as i havent yet decided what wheels/pickup arrangement and motor/gearbox to use, but the forming of the saddle tank and boiler was bugging me so im glad to get that out of the way.

post-27-0-62942000-1342888091_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Would it have worked better if there were a half etched line there?

I guess so but im no expert,

although the roof is half etched for the sharp curve. the nickel in the kit is nice and tough.

how Chris bent it the sharp bend wasnt very sharp, and when looked on sideways you could see an arched crease in it. it was the one moment I wasnt supervising as he wasnt sure how sharp the curve should be. :)

I tapped it over a sharp metal rule held in a vice, just next time I wouldnt solder the ends on first, I think he did it as it was easier to see where the sharp curve started.

done a little bit more, the roof isnt too difficult to form, I havent soldered it on yet. rivets on roof and the cab sides are done aswel, as is the cabinet on the back of the cab.

the instructions advise to bolt the cab and smokebox to the footplate but I will be soldering mine, I did notice the holes for the cab bolts dont line up.

I will be modelling 47002 complete with coal all along the footplate.

Ive noticed it had 2 different chimneys between 58-60, and also later in life looking at Arthur K's shots it lost one of the side plates next to the firebox which half cover the rear springs.

a nice kit and enjoyable to build so far

post-27-0-74807900-1343064524_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

High level loadhauler plus is a perfect fit for the kitson, with no modification to the loco at all and is completely unseen, leaving the front of the boiler and the saddle tank free for plenty of lead. motor is a mashima 1224 but can easily fit in a larger motor..

only slight mod is to trim the top and bottom corners of the gearbox frame so it fits in the boiler.

post-27-0-14338400-1343216268_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Would it have worked better if there were a half etched line there?

It would but I can't half etch from both sides and the tank wrapper has half etched rivets. Don't mention the awful 1/3rd etching used by a few manufacturers - it really doesn't work, you can't get clean folds with it and the rivets are poorly defined.

• RMweb Premium

and dont do what I did and chuck away the middle part of the smokebox thinking its scrap, then realising its one of the large buffer heads. had a good rubbage through the bin but its gone forever, will make one.

I think I've got some spare buffer heads, if not they are on another sheet waiting to be etched (as a separate item). They aren't the same diameter as the large heads we usually sell.

• RMweb Premium

done a little bit more, the roof isnt too difficult to form, I havent soldered it on yet. rivets on roof and the cab sides are done aswel, as is the cabinet on the back of the cab.

the instructions advise to bolt the cab and smokebox to the footplate but I will be soldering mine, I did notice the holes for the cab bolts dont line up.

I will be modelling 47002 complete with coal all along the footplate.

Ive noticed it had 2 different chimneys between 58-60, and also later in life looking at Arthur K's shots it lost one of the side plates next to the firebox which half cover the rear springs.

a nice kit and enjoyable to build so far

post-27-0-74807900-1343064524_thumb.jpg

I hadn't noticed the different chimney but the injector cover disappeared regularly - probably too much trouble to put them back on shed.