Mike built and painted it. I was "lent" some colour  photos 

attachicon.giflong boiler dirty 3 quarter front (1280x680).jpg

add some inks and powders

attachicon.giflong boiler side on dirty (1280x634).jpg

and Bob is your uncle

attachicon.gifclose up dirty long boiler front (1168x1280).jpg

Nice loco, lovely paint job and nice to have a happy client

attachicon.giflong boiler dirty 3 quarters dirty (1280x706).jpg

But you can paint one of these (in NCB days) in light blue!

I too have a kit just need to get on and build it!

Baz

That's certainly the way I remember them. the line from Derwenthaugh was less than a mile from my home and I crossed it every day on my way to Blaydon Grammar School.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazing to see the detail and stages you go through Mike.

Out of curiosity, what rubber do you use to make the moulds below?

I'm using Sylmasta 370 at the moment, it seems to be a reasonable compromise between flexibility and mould life.

• RMweb Premium

A few final details before moving on to the running gear and motion.

post-1643-0-52314300-1524160839_thumb.jpg

The outline of the tank balance pipe is attached to the inner cab floor, not directly, I had to add a bit of scrap. In hindsight the cab steps would have been better fitted here rather than under the footplate.

post-1643-0-00554800-1524161065_thumb.jpg

This is the reason for that bit of hindsight, the injector delivery pipe passes in front of the balance pipe and behind the cab step - the turn in of the step plate prevents the frame being withdrawn from below with the injectors fitted. It just about wriggles out by moving the frames forward first. Early locos like this had two live steam injectors, later ones had an exhaust injector on the fireman's side.

post-1643-0-65655700-1524160949_thumb.jpg

Frames now ready to paint, all brake and sanding gear fitted, cylinders finished, including the drain cocks. The link pivots are fitted to the slidebar bracket, notice the hole in the frame plate corresponding to the link pivot position. This something I do on nearly all locos, getting the link pivot in the right place is key to accurately moving valve gear. There are a few locos on which it isn't really possible though, mostly LNER examples I have come across where the link pivot coincides with a driving wheel tyre. Balance weights need two thicknesses of etch to finish flush with the Slater's wheel rims. Motor and gearbox masked off ready for spraying. The slidebars are made but not fitted yed, they peg into the cylinders and locate under the bracket.

post-1643-0-72528200-1524161781_thumb.jpg

Sprayed all over with Halfords etch primer, I also masked the crankpin screws before doing this. This was followed by three coats of Hycote satin black, turning the wheels round to make sure all the visible frame was painted. Wheel treads cleaned off and it's ready for the motion to be fitted but I seem to have forgotten to photograph this stage.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I run each wheelset against a rubber ring on the top pulley of my small milling machine and hold a variety of scrapers against the rim, followed by wet and dry to finish. Best to do it before the paint fully hardens.

The loco in the background in some shots is an NER 4cc 4-4-0 (1619), scratchbuilt by me and I think painted by Dave Studley. It's for sale, asking price about £550.

• RMweb Premium

IThe loco in the background in some shots is an NER 4cc 4-4-0 (1619), scratchbuilt by me and I think painted by Dave Studley. It's for sale, asking price about £550.

Ken Hoole's favourite loco... 

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly not. I'll be buying some heavy duty wasp spray to deal with the damn things this year. How's your Brush/ Beyer Peacock, Paul? Still a flatpack? :whistle:

Is 'heavy duty wasp spray' the paint made by the people who supply tartan paints too?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Final instalment on the 7mm Fowler 2-6-2T

post-1643-0-02240200-1525887355_thumb.jpg

All the motion is etched, this is how I laminate the layers together, starting with the connecting rods. The two halves are held together with broaches or similar through the holes to keep them in register, flux along the top and solder puddled along. Plenty of solder along the top to fill the dip between the two cusps, don't bother along the bottom, enough solder will go through by capillary action and it isn't visible. The coupling rod in this shot is the original type, fluted with an adjustable bearing for the leading crankpin, the later rods are also on the etch.

post-1643-0-33429200-1525887741_thumb.jpg

Held in the vice and filed along the top, a large flat file with rounded corners is ideal for this job, finish by draw filing. Rat tailed needle files finish round the boss but not yet.

post-1643-0-92819900-1525887901_thumb.jpg

Because I didn't etch anther layer I thickened the boss by the traditional method of soldering the rod to a piece of spare etch and sawing round it - then finished the shape with needle files.

post-1643-0-70160700-1525888054_thumb.jpg

The coupling rods are laminated (in one piece with no knuckle joint) in the same way but with one important difference, no solder around the central crankpin hole. When completed I cut through one layer only (with a piercing saw) at each side of the crankpin hole, separated they will now articulate on the centre crankpin.

post-1643-0-46540300-1525891304_thumb.jpg

The slidebars were made earlier but removed for painting, the crossheads have to be made and fitted before they are replaced (pegged through the cylinder  ends) and soldered to the motion bracket. The crosshead face is etched and the drop link soldered on separately, a U shaped folded piece wraps round the  back of the slidebar. Two small half etched parts at the front of the crosshead face wrap round the piston rod, union link, combining lever and radius rod are single thickness etches, no attempt at forked joints, they are simply made with soldered lace pins. The valve rod is flattened at one end and pinned to the combining lever, looks a bit messy but this will be hidden behind the representation of the valve spindle crosshead which will be fitted to the footplate angle.

At the link end of the motion the locating wire can be seen, this threads through the frames to locate the trunnions accurately.

post-1643-0-77717700-1525891870_thumb.jpg

Viewed from below showing the gap for the expansion link. Plenty of clearance over the leading crankpin, there was no need to recess the fastener although the nut was thinned down considerably. On this loco the leading crankpin and crosshead never coincide, making clearance even less important.

post-1643-0-84350400-1525892134_thumb.jpg

All finally assembled, the link is laminated from 3 layers and packed with washers at each side, the radius rod runs through the centre. The return crank is one piece with a washer on the small end to space the eccentric rod out, there is also a washer between the crank and the con. rod. Not much of the lifting link and nothing of the weighshaft can be seen so these were ignored. The two part etch for the valve spindle crosshead is now soldered to the footplate angle, as with my usual practice the loco is left in mid gear but the valve spindle is still free to move with the action of the combining lever.

post-1643-0-01026400-1525892566_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-05466800-1525892607_thumb.jpg

The completed loco from both sides and ends on the test track, all ready now for Ian Rathbone's attention.

I hope this has been of interest and useful, most of it is equally applicable to the 4mm version which is now in production (but temporarily out of stock - the first batch sold very quickly).

• Like 15

Hello, I am requesting help or assistance regarding the following ....

I have purchased a set of Etches from Mike to hopefully build the LNER/BR S1  0-8-4T  Hump Shunter 

I intend to create this monster in its later days under BR ownership

What I basically need is a list of Castings and other 'bits and bobs' that are required to complete this build.

What is required and which Manufacturer they are available from.

Many thanks to anyone who can help 

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Another Fell

post-4764-0-25567300-1527713907_thumb.jpg

Mike kindly gave me a set of test etches and this is the result. The "uncoupled" version late in life.

post-4764-0-81434900-1527713922_thumb.jpg

To drive both ends I built up a gearbox using gears from Ebay but I understand that a gearbox will be available from High Level when production begins.

NIck

• Like 17

Another Fell

attachicon.giffell at chapel.jpg

Mike kindly gave me a set of test etches and this is the result. The "uncoupled" version late in life.

attachicon.giffell gearbox.jpg

To drive both ends I built up a gearbox using gears from Ebay but I understand that a gearbox will be available from High Level when production begins.

NIck

Great Nick, looking forward to seeing it sometime, whirling red cranks and all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mike

Very interesting build for the Fowler. Any idea when the 4mm version will be back in stock and is it a complete kit (less motor wheels etc) or body etches?

We will be ordering more next week, hope to have them by the end of June. It's not a complete kit, just etched parts (all except boiler and firebox), no mouldings. The instructions include a list of where nearly all the fittings can be obtained from.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We will be ordering more next week, hope to have them by the end of June. It's not a complete kit, just etched parts (all except boiler and firebox), no mouldings. The instructions include a list of where nearly all the fittings can be obtained from.

Thanks Michael. I will contact you at the end of June

• RMweb Gold

Construction of my Judith Edge Fowler 2-6-2t is now in full swing

Having opted for a rivet covered 40061 with Pull push Gear (See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20479-Bachmann-class-40-to-be-re-tooled/?p=206519) I have just spent a couple of evenings with my trusty Midland riveting tool

post-1859-0-00075100-1528355349_thumb.jpg

Pleased with the result, although I'm not sure about the top row of rivets as the are appear half in the etched rebate for the beading around the top of the tank

Overall, very pleased with the kit. 

Andy

• Like 5

Should the coupling rods be in synch?

Yes - the four axles were gear-coupled as well as originally having three coupling rods.

The rods and gears 'fought' each other, and the centre rod were removed - though the remaining rods remained in sync. due to the gear coupling.

For me, this is a 'must have' loco - just a shame that Heljan 'bottled out' !!

Never mind - Mike to the rescue soon, I hope.

Regards,

John Isherwood.