Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

• RMweb Premium

The Markits crankpin washers are a good fit on the crankpins but much too big and thick for using as retainers, they are very useful as spacing washers though. I cut the tube with a piercing saw, never tried the Stanley knife method but I'm assured that it works. For a retainer that isn't in a restricted space such as behind a crosshead I cut a thicker slice of tube to minimise the chance of it all locking up with solder, I also smother the end of the coupling rod in grease before soldering.

There you go again, rude and insulting. The Jidenco/Falcon Brass situation all over again.

Not at all !!!

You asked Mike what to use for crankpin rod retainers; he told you; you ignored his advice and asked for a source of washers; I provided a source but advised against washers and gave reasons; you made an incorrect statement re lathes; Adam gave advice re cutting tube; you referred to TW using washers - at which point I gained the impression that responders to your enquiry were wasting their time, as you seemed quite determined to ignore us and persist with washers.

I conceded that some modellers - myself included - have to do it the hard way to learn anything. Nonetheless, I and other members have attempted to assist you - but all you seem interested in is your own original idea and in finding another reason to call me rude and insulting.

You just can't help some people !! :banghead:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The Markits crankpin washers are a good fit on the crankpins but much too big and thick for using as retainers, they are very useful as spacing washers though. I cut the tube with a piercing saw, never tried the Stanley knife method but I'm assured that it works. For a retainer that isn't in a restricted space such as behind a crosshead I cut a thicker slice of tube to minimise the chance of it all locking up with solder, I also smother the end of the coupling rod in grease before soldering.

Thanks for that, I’ll look into it. Useful advice very similar to the method Tony Wright demonstrates in his DVDs

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Another method is to chemically blacken the rods (which makes either brass or nickel silver look more like steel anyway) and retainers can then be soldered on with no risk of soldering it up solid.

The only possible hitch is that you must use a flux that doesn't eat through the blackening. I either use Templer's Telux paste or just let the resin in the solder do the job, which it will do if the crankpin and washer are clean.

That is not to say that other methods don't work because they clearly do.

This has enabled me to use tiny washers when clearances are tight. On a double later etched rod, if I drill the outer set with a bigger hole I can recess the washer inside the rod, leaving a completely flush outside surface. The washers can be found on etched like MSE/Wizard Models signal arm products.

Edited by t-b-g

Another method is to chemically blacken the rods (which makes either brass or nickel silver look more like steel anyway) and retainers can then be soldered on with no risk of soldering it up solid.

The only possible hitch is that you must use a flux that doesn't eat through the blackening. I either use Templer's Telux paste or just let the resin in the solder do the job, which it will do if the crankpin and washer are clean.

That is not to say that other methods don't work because they clearly do.

This has enabled me to use tiny washers when clearances are tight. On a double later etched rod, if I drill the outer set with a bigger hole I can recess the washer inside the rod, leaving a completely flush outside surface. The washers can be found on etched like MSE/Wizard Models signal arm products.

Useful information thanks. I use rosin flux and it doesn’t eat through the blackening.

The small washers from eBay mentioned earlier in the thread arrived a few minutes ago, I’ll try them on Markits crankpins after lunch.

This is all very much for the future really, I’m just getting ideas together. Outside cylinder industrial tank engines in P4 are a pain. If, as Michael suggests earlier, the combination of AGW wheels and Markits crankpins offer a better way forward so much the better.

Thanks for your contribution

Regards

Update: Spoke to David White at Slaters today. He has promised to look into doing the correct wheels for the DE165 PWM650. The real thing is now resident at Rowsley, so an easy trip for him to do the research...assuming Peak Rail let him on the site, LOL I've been twice, once without, and once with an invite, and got turned away both times.

• RMweb Premium

Update: Spoke to David White at Slaters today. He has promised to look into doing the correct wheels for the DE165 PWM650. The real thing is now resident at Rowsley, so an easy trip for him to do the research...assuming Peak Rail let him on the site, LOL I've been twice, once without, and once with an invite, and got turned away both times.

Try the Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley who own two PWMs. Their open weekend is 1-2 Sept when anyone can visit and photograph their collection of historic shunters.

http://heritageshuntertrust.wixsite.com/hst1

Try the Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley who own two PWMs. Their open weekend is 1-2 Sept when anyone can visit and photograph their collection of historic shunters.

Well, I would, except I'm not feeling much like putting any money Peak Rail's way, ever, since they cost me quite a lot for no return. And were damnably rude about it.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I would, except I'm not feeling much like putting any money Peak Rail's way, ever, since they cost me quite a lot for no return. And were damnably rude about it.

The HST are a tenant independent organisation at Rowsley, they are not Peak Rail as is clear from my post. Civility runs both ways....

The HST gala I went to last year was really good, and they were a friendly lot (as are the LMS coach people next door). I'm pretty sure it's possible to turn up and pay for the HST gala without having to buy a Peak Rail ticket 

• RMweb Premium

Tooling for three new kits just arrived today, will be away to PhotoEtch next week:

Horwich 0F 0-4-0ST

Harland & Wolff 0-6-0DH

Fell

Depending on speed of supply we hope to have the first two for EM North, all three for Scaleforum, no prices yet.

• Like 4

Tooling for three new kits just arrived today, will be away to PhotoEtch next week:

Horwich 0F 0-4-0ST

Harland & Wolff 0-6-0DH

Fell

Depending on speed of supply we hope to have the first two for EM North, all three for Scaleforum, no prices yet.

Excellent news - time to put the pennies away ready for Scaleforum. Harland & Wolff and Fell for me - will confirm by email once you've said they're done.

Might it be possible to advise beforehand the required wheelsets, etc., so that they can be added to my shopping list for Gibsons stand? Saves having to open the boxes on the day, and then write down the requirements before trotting across. Thanks.

Does one have to use finescale wheels? I'm interested in the Fell in OO, but I would prefer coarse scale wheels (RP25/110).

Presumably just drill / ream out the axle holes for 1/8" Romford / Markits wheels.

That's what I will be doing - I already have the wheel-sets.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

That's spooky. Just had a look and I've got all those wheels in stock apart from the ones for the H&W.

The tank engine wheels are meant for converting a Hornby Caley 0-4-0ST. The others are standard LMS tender and bogie wheels.

I want to build something else from the range before diving into any of these though. The Barclay 01 looks favourite at the moment.

Jason