Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

I've always wondered why the cylinders of a fireless appear to be placed at the rear of the engine. They look curiously back to front!

The short answer is balance - there's no firebox, etc. to counter the cylinders at the front and the pressure vessel at the front of a fireless is necessarily quite heavy.

Adam

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've finished building the test etch of the Ruston 88DS (some might have seen this at Gateshead), it will have a High Level drive unit similar to the one for the 48DS. This one is etched in n/s, production will be in brass - .015" as usual. It needs a few modifications to the brake gear and possibly the chain covers between the wheels, the cover for the donkey engine and side weights will be mouldings. This is probably the commonest variant of the cab windows, there will also be etches for the rounded corner rubber seal type. It will also have an alternative cab etch with deeper windows, as seen on the preserved Rowntrees No.3 - I need to get to Shildon to measure these. We are hoping to get this out early next year - depends on how soon Chris can produce the drive units.

post-1643-0-49933000-1353589800_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-15297700-1353589821_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-66359900-1353589849_thumb.jpg

post-1643-0-38092000-1353589873_thumb.jpg

More test etches here waiting to be built include:

NBL 330hp 0-4-0DH BR D2900 - 4mm

NBL 440hp 0-6-0DH - 4mm

Jackshaft (12023 type) for LMS/BR/FS etc. - 1:87 scale

Sentinel 4whDH (chain drive) - 7mm

Barclay 01 0-4-0DM - 7mm

Michael Edge

• Like 10

I've finished building the test etch of the Ruston 88DS

Did BR own any of these? If so one would be ideal for Humber Dock.

Do the fitments below the body represent axleboxes? They look a bit like the Sentinel type with diagonal struts to keep them in place. Simple and effective.

• RMweb Premium

I've finished building the test etch of the Ruston 88DS (some might have seen this at Gateshead), it will have a High Level drive unit similar to the one for the 48DS. This one is etched in n/s, production will be in brass - .015" as usual. It needs a few modifications to the brake gear and possibly the chain covers between the wheels, the cover for the donkey engine and side weights will be mouldings. This is probably the commonest variant of the cab windows, there will also be etches for the rounded corner rubber seal type. It will also have an alternative cab etch with deeper windows, as seen on the preserved Rowntrees No.3 - I need to get to Shildon to measure these. We are hoping to get this out early next year - depends on how soon Chris can produce the drive units.

[Photos]

More test etches here waiting to be built include:

NBL 330hp 0-4-0DH BR D2900 - 4mm

NBL 440hp 0-6-0DH - 4mm

Jackshaft (12023 type) for LMS/BR/FS etc. - 1:87 scale

Sentinel 4whDH (chain drive) - 7mm

Barclay 01 0-4-0DM - 7mm

Michael Edge

Very nice! Hopefully one for the 7mm range at some point in the future...... :good:

Do the fitments below the body represent axleboxes? They look a bit like the Sentinel type with diagonal struts to keep them in place. Simple and effective.

Yes, they are axleboxes, as seen here. The diagonal struts are actually chain tensioners, 48 and 88DS Rustons are chain drive, chains are tensioned by turning the struts to move the axle backwards or forwards.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did BR own any of these? If so one would be ideal for Humber Dock.

Yes they are the axleboxes, built up from 3 layers on the etch. The diagonal struts are the chain tensioners, the flat etch representation isn't ideal, they should be round section and they aren't in quite the right place but the only other option would be to go into lost wax castings.

BR owned a few of these, all in departmental use, the best known was No.20 which worked at Reading signal works and lasted long enough to be painted in BR blue. North Eastern region had some, not sure how many (can't find a list of these) but at least No84 and No87.

Yes they are the axleboxes, built up from 3 layers on the etch. The diagonal struts are the chain tensioners, the flat etch representation isn't ideal, they should be round section and they aren't in quite the right place but the only other option would be to go into lost wax castings.

BR owned a few of these, all in departmental use, the best known was No.20 which worked at Reading signal works and lasted long enough to be painted in BR blue. North Eastern region had some, not sure how many (can't find a list of these) but at least No84 and No87.

Thank you, Mike.

I have a feeling one was used at Chalk Lane sidings in Hull. It certainly looks very familiar.

If I were to build one I think I would replace the etched struts with confections of wire and tube.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

To add to Mike's post the NER had 5 locomotives numbers 82 to 87. The Reading signal works loco No20 had oval buffers and additional weights bolted on the solbars, this was a quite common feature on privately owned locos.

Looking at photos there is a housing on the third right hand side engine room door. I see that Mike has left his door blank, did all locomotives have this feature?

Clive

• RMweb Premium

To add to Mike's post the NER had 5 locomotives numbers 82 to 87. The Reading signal works loco No20 had oval buffers and additional weights bolted on the solbars, this was a quite common feature on privately owned locos.

Looking at photos there is a housing on the third right hand side engine room door. I see that Mike has left his door blank, did all locomotives have this feature?

Clive

The solebar weights will be provided as mouldings. The buffer beam weights are not always present, these are built up from etched components but can be left off if not needed. The blank door is where the donkey engine cover goes, not on this one as I've not done the pattern yet. I will need two since Dave Hall (Ruston) has pointed ouit that there were two sizes of this cover.

All 88s had the donkey engine, the cover is necessary otherwise it would protrude from the casing.

• RMweb Premium

Clive

The NER had two others 56 and 57. The Ian Allan 1966 combine only list 56, and has 82 and 83 as Barclay 0-4-0s, photographic evidence proves otherwise.

The solebar weights will be provided as mouldings. The buffer beam weights are not always present, these are built up from etched components but can be left off if not needed. The blank door is where the donkey engine cover goes, not on this one as I've not done the pattern yet. I will need two since Dave Hall (Ruston) has pointed ouit that there were two sizes of this cover.

All 88s had the donkey engine, the cover is necessary otherwise it would protrude from the casing.

Thank you Mike for explaining what the housing was for. I am please that potenial modellers will be able to make their loco with or without the add on weights.

It is a bit of a do I want one or do I not want one as I scratch built one many years ago. :wacko:

• RMweb Premium

We could do with a definitive list of these departmental locos, I've found photos of 83, 84 and 87 which are all RH 88s. 81 was definitely a Barclay - it's an option in our 01 kit. I've just found another list which gives 7 RH 88s, 56 and 82-87. The Ian Allen reference which gives most of these as Barclays does say that 56 is an 88hp loco. Eastern and North Eastern did quite a lot of re-numbering with the departmental fleet whic also adds confusion. Photo references to 56 inparticular and the remaining 82-87 batch would be very welcome.

Excellent work, Mike. I look forward to the 7mm version. .

I can't help with the running numbers on the BR departmental locos but Ruston & Hornsby class 88DS locomotives sold to British Railways, by works number, are as follows:

408493 ex-works 19/1/57 to Western Region, Reading Signal Works

425485 ex -works 4/12/58 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Dinsdale rail depot, Co. Durham

432477 ex-works 5/1/59 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Etherley tip, Wilton, Co. Durham

432478 ex-works 14/1/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Leeman Rd. PW stockyard, York

435498 ex-works 23/7/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Crofton PW depot, Yorks (WR)

463151 ex-works 26/4/61 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Cleveland Rd. sleeper depot, Hartlepool Co. Durham

463152 ex-works 31/5/61 to North Easten Region CE Dept. Croft Jct. Darlington, Co. Durham

Of course BR owned only a tiny proportion of the 254 locos that were built and sold worldwide, in gauges from metre to 5'6", although the majority were standard gauge.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Excellent work, Mike. I look forward to the 7mm version. .

I can't help with the running numbers on the BR departmental locos but Ruston & Hornsby class 88DS locomotives sold to British Railways, by works number, are as follows:

408493 ex-works 19/1/57 to Western Region, Reading Signal Works

425485 ex -works 4/12/58 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Dinsdale rail depot, Co. Durham

432477 ex-works 5/1/59 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Etherley tip, Wilton, Co. Durham

432478 ex-works 14/1/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Leeman Rd. PW stockyard, York

435498 ex-works 23/7/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Crofton PW depot, Yorks (WR)

463151 ex-works 26/4/61 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Cleveland Rd. sleeper depot, Hartlepool Co. Durham

463152 ex-works 31/5/61 to North Easten Region CE Dept. Croft Jct. Darlington, Co. Durham

Of course BR owned only a tiny proportion of the 254 locos that were built and sold worldwide, in gauges from metre to 5'6", although the majority were standard gauge.

The 1966 Observers book of Locomotives of Britian has the following numbers and their locations.

20...Reading Signal Works

56....Hull engineers dept.

82....Dinsdale

83...Low Fell

84.... York engineers dept

85... Crofton pw dept

87... Geneva yard,Darlington

I was hoping that the allocations were the same and to be able match works numbers with departmental numbers. The Observers book list all but 20, 56 and 85 as Barclay locomotives of 150 hp. Oddly number 85 is listed as a Ruston but it is also 150 hp.

There must have been no 86 and the number 57 came from a photograph caption of 3 locos in Thornaby roundhouse published in rail. I now think the caption is wrong and 57 is rearly 87. Something Mike mentioned to me when I forwarded a copy to him.

• RMweb Premium

It seems curious that there is no 86 but at least the total number tallies with the RH works numbers. Only one loco was from Barclay (81), this is a 150hp (Gardner engine), Ruston used their own engines so 150hp isn't possible - they only came in 48,88(early ones 80hp) and 165hp, this is what the type numbers refer to. Does anyone know of photos of the missing ones?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mike and all

I will trawl through my old Ian Allan locospotting books, many from the 1960s seemed to have a photo of one of them.

I have taken some pictures of my old scracthbuilt 88DS and added them to my old layout thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62823-pig-lane-or-should-it-be-i-am-sorry/page__st__25__gopid__855171&do=findComment&comment=855171 Not added here in case some modellers thought it was Mike's kit.