Judith Edge kits

Michael Edge

the only other Liverpool one that I know of was RH 299101/1950 at Linacre gasworks Bootle, that closed in 1968 and this photo is a lot later than that, so I have a hunch it could maybe be the same loco and id be happy if it was, is there a record of the colour they where painted?

Edited by Michael Delamar

• RMweb Premium

That helps a lot (and there's a lot more useful info in that site) but we now seem to have one more loco than Dave's RH list shows - 20,56, and 82-87. The numbers aren't actually readable on all the photos though - maybe one of them was renumbered at some time.

Michael, do you know where this Ruston originated?

https://maps.google....,255.34,,1,13.6

That is 224347, ex-works 6/3/45. I last saw that one at W.H. Davis wagon works at Langwith Junction but it was ordered new by the Ministry of Supply for the War Dept. at Kinnerley, Salop.

I've no idea how it ended up on a street corner in Bootle!

Not my pic - http://farm4.static...._960c7b60c2.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 2

Excellent work, Mike. I look forward to the 7mm version. .

I can't help with the running numbers on the BR departmental locos but Ruston & Hornsby class 88DS locomotives sold to British Railways, by works number, are as follows:

408493 ex-works 19/1/57 to Western Region, Reading Signal Works

425485 ex -works 4/12/58 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Dinsdale rail depot, Co. Durham

432477 ex-works 5/1/59 to North Eastern Region, CE Dept. Etherley tip, Wilton, Co. Durham

432478 ex-works 14/1/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Leeman Rd. PW stockyard, York

435498 ex-works 23/7/59 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Crofton PW depot, Yorks (WR)

463151 ex-works 26/4/61 to North Eastern Region CE Dept. Cleveland Rd. sleeper depot, Hartlepool Co. Durham

463152 ex-works 31/5/61 to North Easten Region CE Dept. Croft Jct. Darlington, Co. Durham

Mention of an 88DS in Hull caused me to look again and to add to the above list is:

338424 ex-works 3/2/55 to North Eastern Region E&ME Dept. Hull, Yorks.

I've finished building the test etch of the Ruston 88DS (some might have seen this at Gateshead), it will have a High Level drive unit similar to the one for the 48DS. This one is etched in n/s, production will be in brass - .015" as usual. It needs a few modifications to the brake gear and possibly the chain covers between the wheels, the cover for the donkey engine and side weights will be mouldings. This is probably the commonest variant of the cab windows, there will also be etches for the rounded corner rubber seal type. It will also have an alternative cab etch with deeper windows, as seen on the preserved Rowntrees No.3 - I need to get to Shildon to measure these. We are hoping to get this out early next year - depends on how soon Chris can produce the drive units.

More test etches here waiting to be built include:

NBL 330hp 0-4-0DH BR D2900 - 4mm

NBL 440hp 0-6-0DH - 4mm

Jackshaft (12023 type) for LMS/BR/FS etc. - 1:87 scale

Sentinel 4whDH (chain drive) - 7mm

Barclay 01 0-4-0DM - 7mm

Michael Edge

Hi Michael, is there an ETA for the 7mm chain drive Sentinel please?

• RMweb Premium

Not yet, it's the next job in the test etch building list. It won't take very long, it's only really the frames that are significantly different - the platform and buffer beams are narrower but the cab and casings are the same as the rod drive version. Febraury is looking like the earliest possible date now.

• RMweb Premium

I don't seem to have any photos of our 06 in 7mm and Hobby Holidays have the display model at the moment. The two builder quoted above should show what you need though, kit instructions show a Mashima 18x33 on Branchlines gearbox but others (such as ABC or Slater's) will fit easily. The CAD drawing in the kit is printed full size so you can use it as a template to check any motor fitting.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have now assembled the prototype High Level drive unit for the Ruston 88DS.

post-1643-0-36608300-1360310946_thumb.jpg

This view from the cab end, the drive train to the trailing axle is just visible. The Mashima motor does not intrude into the cab area. The  leading axle is fixed, trailing one is allowed to rock under a knife edge as in the 48DS unit. Wheels are Gibson.

post-1643-0-04046800-1360311023_thumb.jpg

View from underneath, the drive train is partly visible bit not too far away from where the chain cover is on the full size version.

Chris has now decided to market these units as "Quad driver", this one nominally 23mm wheelbase but in fact is variable about 1mm either way at the expense of altering the angle of the motor.

Michael Edge

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The gear train to the second axle is in a frame which pivots on the axle of the next gear up towards the motor, if you swing this frame up or down the wheelbase alters slightly but so does the angle of the motor. Chris usually tries to get the motor horizontal in the normal application but if there is room for the motor to tilt upwards the wheelbase can be shortened.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We got the J63 out in time for Scaleforum (just!) and they sold like the proverbial hot cakes. Price is £60, we'll pack some more for Manchester this weekend.

attachicon.gifP4051574.JPG

attachicon.gifP4051574.JPG

Unlike the other GC etches we have sold this one has been worked up into a full kit with all the mouldings in addition to the n/s etch. The builder has to supply motor/gearbox/wheels/buffers. The suggested drive arrangement is a High Level Roadrunner+ on the leading axle and it can be built rigid or fully compensated. buffers are from Kean Maygib, alternative oval heads are on the etch. I haven't been able to come up with an economical way of producing the safety valves and whistle, so only the moulded base and etched safety valve lever are included in the kit.

Michael Edge

This loco ( now painted but not yet weathered) ran all weekend at Preston as one of the Yard shunters on Herculaneum - it is an absolute beaut and great to drive

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They look a bit peculiar but they were the normal type on the CLC, these lasted into the late 1950s before being replaced by LMS/BR standard u/q signals. CLC did have lower quadrant signals as well though. The signals seen here in Brunswick yard are a bit of a mystery as to which movements they referred to, the main line panel is preserved at NRM York but only shows the colour light signals in detail. The CLC bracket is on the diagram but without any clue as to which moves it controls, there should be another short arm on the LH doll but we seem to have lost this one somewhere.