Transfesa blue fruit vans - 195x to the 90ies

simao28

I'm surprised that this resource http://www.amazon.co...17937128&sr=8-8 doesn't appear to have been mentioned. Just returned a copy I'd borrowed from the library - but quite attractive at the price Amazon are listing it for.

Hello

I have the book. Its worth the money in my opinion. But I was disappointed to find only 2 pictures of the blue Transfesas and only one good of an Interfrigo.

I had higher hopes I guess since there was a fleet of almost 1585 blue Transfesa vans...

But the book was a good discovery for me.

Hello

I have the book. Its worth the money in my opinion. But I was disappointed to find only 2 pictures of the blue Transfesas and only one good of an Interfrigo.

I had higher hopes I guess since there was a fleet of almost 1585 blue Transfesa vans...

But the book was a good discovery for me.

Or it could be that there are too many? :O There have been many hundreds of different designs of wagons which could work between the UK and Continental Europe, so making a selection is very difficult to fit into such a format.

Paul Bartlett

Or it could be that there are too many? (...)

Paul Bartlett

Don't judge me wrong. The book is very good.

When I bought it I never imagined the large number of wagon types that existed and was only wanting the Transfesas :)

That Transfesa publicity is wonderful, with the regional costumes, distortion of distances and the use of models for the cover illustrations.

Before the days of changeable-gauge wagons, the loads used to be transferred between wagons at Cerbere/ Port Bou; at one of the two, there is a statue commemorating the work of the women who use to transfer the boxes of citrus fruit.

I recommend a visit to Cerbere & Port Bou to watch the various operations- the link between the two is via two single-track tunnels, with local passenger services being run by SNCF and RENFE. Each runs loaded in one direction, empty in the other, a legacy of the closed frontier of Franco's days. Almost all the various freight handling operations can be observed from the two stations.

Quite correct, now removed. The Barrowmore site has the diagrams for the Transfesa vans as I mentioned earlier.

Paul Bartlett

Hello Paul

Do you have more information about these "blue" ones from your site?

I can't fit them anywhere...

21 80 214 1 098-8 (seems to be converted from a wagon with short brake platform - the signal holders give that clue; also the added wheel brake)

21 80 214 1 106-9

21 80 214 1 150-7 (end doors)

There should not been any German registered vans to made it to UIC-2 numbering...... supposedly they passed all to RENFE?!?!?

Yet here they were...

Also those types (the short brake platform and the "end doors") were all originally Spanish...

Also the number area shows new paint...

A recent change in registration?

What a mess....

Hello Paul

Do you have more information about these "blue" ones from your site?

I can't fit them anywhere...

What a mess....

Jon Hall responded immediately with my web links, so too late for me to do so. They have also been referred to by others in this thread. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/ferrytransfesavan1959

It takes a second to type Transfesa into the search and get suitable results.

Paul Bartlett

Paul, Alberico has aleady done quite a lot of number crunching - the issue is 3 of your photo's show 'German' wagons in a 'odd' number series (note also my comments on the 21- exchange condition, not the 24- exchange code that I would expect for exchangable axles).

I am wondering if DB hired a sub-fleet to do Germany-UK traffic, and numbered those in their own series - when you consider how many ferry vans DB had, the Transfesa german registered fleet would actually more than double the number of vans they had available.

Jon

Paul, Alberico has aleady done quite a lot of number crnching - the issue is your photo's show German wagons in a 'odd' number series (note also my comments on the 21- exchange condition, not the 24- exchange code that I would expect for exchangable axles).

I am wondering if DB hired a sub-fleet to do Germany-UK traffic, and numbered those in their own series - when you condider how many ferry vans DB had, the Transfesa german registered fleet would actually more than double the number of vans they had available.

Jon

I've just had a look through the three volumes of diagrams, and can't find any listed with a 21 exchange code for workings to the UK. Is it possible that these German-registered wagons were for use on perishable traffic from Iberia to Germany? Perhaps the Germans had insufficient 'perishable' vans of their own?

Jon Hall responded immediately with my web links, so too late for me to do so. They have also been referred to by others in this thread. http://paulbartlett....ransfesavan1959

It takes a second to type Transfesa into the search and get suitable results.

Paul Bartlett

I know Paul

I was talking about those 3 wagons / photos in particular ;)

The German ones that weren't supposed to be German.

I found your website long before this forum and it was my first great source of valuable information :)

I know Paul

I was talking about those 3 wagons / photos in particular ;)

The German ones that weren't supposed to be German.

I found your website long before this forum and it was my first great source of valuable information :)

apologies to Alberico,

I observe, record and do not do why.

Paul Bartlett

apologies to Alberico, I observe, record and do not do why. Paul Bartlett

I supposed that since those photos don't have any reference to the "ex-numbers" you didn't manage to get that information?

Like original number plate on underframe?

Nevertheless your photos are very useful and a great piece of history :)

I've just had a look through the three volumes of diagrams, and can't find any listed with a 21 exchange code for workings to the UK. Is it possible that these German-registered wagons were for use on perishable traffic from Iberia to Germany? Perhaps the Germans had insufficient 'perishable' vans of their own?

Brian - I think that several things point to them not being used (exclusively) that way - they should have still carried a 24 prefix for exchangable axles in that scenario, that Transfesa also had a fleet of euro-loading gauge/interchangable axles available for Iberia-Germany, and that Paul photographed them in Warrington!

Jon

Archived