Ely & District MRC News Update (Website/12th May 2012 Exhibition/Wickham Market)

andykwilkinson

Just a quick note to say:

1. We're having some problems with our Ely MRC website at the moment. Keith (our webmaster and Vice Chairman) migrated to a new website for his company (Anglia Property Preservation Ltd - which also hosts our Club website) but there have been a few technical glitches "with the Club bit". For now he's taken that bit down whilst he works out how to use some new software. We hope it'll be back up in a few weeks!

2. Our well know and very successful Ely Exhibition will be on 12th May 2012 and the theme in the second hall will be Railways of the World.

As some of you know I actually planned to retire from my second extended stint as Ely's Exhibition Manager immediately after the 2011 show....However, as luck would have it, due to some unfortunate personal circumstances, one of our key organizing members has had to "take a rest". So guess who has had to pick up the reins again! So the very capable Malcolm Hine (his second or third stint at it too), as well as myself, are the main duo running the 2012 show, assisted as always by the very able wider team at Ely MRC.

3. Baseboards for Wickham Market, our new OO prototypical roundly roundy and eventual successor to Thurston were completed a couple of months back. We're well into tracklaying at the moment. The N gauge group are also making excellent progress with their large layout and work on Ramsey OO is now mainly just little finishing scenic detail type stuff. Onwards and upwards!

That's it! We're off to Manchester Show with Thurston OO this weekend - so might see some of you there!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick Ely MRC website update - we've no concrete news yet on when it'll be back up - soon we hope as Keith's been working on it this week!

Also, a quick snap of work in progress regarding laying track on our new OO roundy-round, Wickham Market. All the layout boards are built and we're close to completing the track laying in the extensive fiddle yard. The layout is 20ft x 11ft (i.e. about a foot wider than Thurston OO, our current exhibition mainstay).

The (straight) roads on the extreme right hand side are for the Framlingham trains. Phase 2 (if we ever get time) will be to build Framlingham station as well, rather than just run trains onto that branch and into that area of the fiddle yard. That might be a few years away though!!! :O

Soon we'll be track laying on the main station boards!

post-2942-0-60153000-1318702356_thumb.jpg

And here's the track plan for our model of Wickham Market that's under construction, photographed earlier today. We've altered a few little things from the prototype plan (or at least what we can determined was there from the photographs we've found in our research) but very much hope we can capture the essence and character of this interesting station in a similar vein to what we managed to do with our much loved Thurston.

And for those of you who have n't seen what we did with Thurston...

Enjoy!

post-2942-0-37583200-1318707755_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just a quick update to say:

1. We now have a much better NEW website! Take a look as all the layouts and traders coming to our show are now listed thanks to all the hard work by our websmaster Keith.

2. Also, fantastic news for visitors coming to our Sat 12th May show in Ely at City of Ely Community College, 10.30AM until 5.00PM. There is now a new, regular and very cost effective bus service in Ely called Absolutely (yeah, I know, crap name!). This runs on a figure of 8 route and has a stop at the end of Broad Street, just a few minutes walk from Ely rail station. There is a link on our new website to the bus timetable and fair info etc.

I'll post info about the exhibition in that forum section sometime soon too.

Hope to see some of you at the Show!

• 2 months later...

Just a quick note to say we've started laying track on some of the main Wickham Market boards in the Clubroom in the last week or so. Tonight we will be working on the Framlingham Junction.

Also, I've seen some trains running on Westgate Park (our big N gauge layout that's also under construction in the Clubroom).

More info should be on our website soon.

Archived