Class 59 Sounds

lyneux

What are the options for sound chipping a 59? For some reason it just doesn't seem to be covered by the big players except Olivias trains. I've tried:

SWD

Howes

Digitrains

Coastal DCC

Legomanbiffo

Has anyone fitted the Olivias chip and is it any good? Are there any alternatives?

From experience I'd say they don't sound that different to a 66, so maybe a 66 chip would do the trick?

I haven't tried it yet, but Howes did me a chip with SD40 engine sounds and a UK horn (might have been 66, but I won't know 'til I try it), I figured this would be the best option. It will sound a bit different, the SD40 sounds far better as the silencer is pretty much non existent, but it's going to be closer than a 66 would be.

HTH

• RMweb Premium

I haven't tried it yet, but Howes did me a chip with SD40 engine sounds and a UK horn (might have been 66, but I won't know 'til I try it), I figured this would be the best option. It will sound a bit different, the SD40 sounds far better as the silencer is pretty much non existent, but it's going to be closer than a 66 would be.

HTH

A class 59 to all intents and purposes is an SD40. American railroads have an option of several different horns for their locomotives, perhaps there is one that fits the bill.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread; I'm not sure that this sounds very much like a 59 (ignoring the horns and bells obviously):

Muffle the speaker and it'll be fine ;-)

I still haven't tried mine, so can't tell you if it works or not.

Hi Martin,

The sound I attached is from the free Zimo SD40 sound project. Presumably the Howes chip that you have is based on the free ESU project (which could sound different/better)?

I'm keen to know what you make of the Howes sounds once you have the decoder installed. If they're no good, I've just seen that Digitrains do a 59 sound file for the Loksound which you could get blown on it (although this could also be the SD40 sounds given the description on their website: "Generic sound file for this class using the correct engine type and UK horns etc.").

http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/dcc-sound/class-59-diesel-loco.aspx

Guy

• 5 years later...

Preppin up a hanson 59.. Has bif done the sound for a 59 now..? Or is it just a 66.. How different do they sound anyway and should I be fussed. I see its listed on dc kits website but 'out of stock'

The 59 has not been done yet.  Sorry.  Charlie

• 11 months later...

May put a tts 66 chip in my latest 59 project..and wondered what you lot think.. Should I be fussed with the semantics.. I have premium lok decoders and notice differences in the life size version so I think it comes down to compromises.. Is spending over double really worth it when it comes to a 59/66...?

• 2 years later...
On 29/07/2018 at 00:30, Marcoblanco said:

Correction, 67,ir sounds more or less the same...

So, the 59 sounds (more or less) the same as a 67, or...?

I'm asking, as I'm about to chip mine and want to find the closest voice chip (unless 59 voice chips are more readily available now?).

This will be my first DCC project, so I'm just wondering how the voice chip plugs into the train, if the DCC socket is already used by the decoder?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The engine family is the similar (differences in stroke)...but bare in mind a 67 has ETH so it will idle faster when this is on...

Class 67 12 Cyl EMD 710 (modified for HEP) or ETH to you and me :)
Class 66 12 Cyl EMD 710

Class 59 16 Cyl EMD 645

Class 57 12 Cyl EMD 645

the class 59 is effectively a re-bodied EMD-SD40 with a whopping great big silencer bolted to it (which is why you never hear an American loco go YING YING YING YING)

I would say that the 66 has a closer sound, The 57 and 67 the has a completely difference silencer setup so sounds a lot different (to my ears anyway)

Edited by pheaton
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, Lek said:

I'm asking, as I'm about to chip mine and want to find the closest voice chip (unless 59 voice chips are more readily available now?).

This will be my first DCC project, so I'm just wondering how the voice chip plugs into the train, if the DCC socket is already used by the decoder?

As explained by the other chaps , its about splitting hairs really. There are some 59 sound projects' available now. But it seems a compromise would be a TTS 66 chips. If you listen to some vids on youtube of 66s and 59s you may have some idea- or go and see the real thing at westbury! 

just follow the instructions on fitting decoders if you haven't done it before. Its fairly straightforward.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lek said:

Hi, the sounds or voice as you refer to them are on the decoder assuming it's a sound decoder. You only have to plug one thing in and this controls movement and sound combined. Personally I have used a Hornby TTS class 66 chip in my class 59 with a megabass speaker from roads and rails to replace the feeble Hornby speaker and am very pleased with it.  It's literally unplugging the loco blanking plug on the dcc socket and plugging in the new TTS chip or other manufacturers if you choose to go that way. A little extra skill is needed if you want to upgrade the speaker as I mentioned.

Good luck.

Chris

37 minutes ago, Chrisr40 said:

Hi, the sounds or voice as you refer to them are on the decoder assuming it's a sound decoder. You only have to plug one thing in and this controls movement and sound combined. Personally I have used a Hornby TTS class 66 chip in my class 59 with a megabass speaker from roads and rails to replace the feeble Hornby speaker and am very pleased with it.  It's literally unplugging the loco blanking plug on the dcc socket and plugging in the new TTS chip or other manufacturers if you choose to go that way. A little extra skill is needed if you want to upgrade the speaker as I mentioned.

Good luck.

Chris

A Class 59 sadly is not the same as a 66, just depends if you want the correct sounds, most suggested sound out there are an American SD loco which is 'FREE' on the ESU Downloads section of their website.

Our Legomanbiffo file 'IS' recorded from a 'REAL' Class 59 and believe me if you sit at Westbury (Where both classes run) and listen to them stood there, In my opinion the Class 59 is more interesting than the Class 66 and honestly I love it. 

IF you fancy one then see below:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_68&product_id=261

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, charliepetty said:

A Class 59 sadly is not the same as a 66, just depends if you want the correct sounds, most suggested sound out there are an American SD loco which is 'FREE' on the ESU Downloads section of their website.

Our Legomanbiffo file 'IS' recorded from a 'REAL' Class 59 and believe me if you sit at Westbury (Where both classes run) and listen to them stood there, In my opinion the Class 59 is more interesting than the Class 66 and honestly I love it. 

IF you fancy one then see below:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_68&product_id=261

Thank you for the info Charlie but with the greatest of respect times aren't great and not everyone has £100 or close to spend hence I mentioned a more wallet friendly option. Personally I can live with the inaccuracy as there are more pressing things in life to worry about - but I appreciate others cant.

Best regards Chris

No problems, but people do push the Class 66 sound as fine for 59s & 67s, and obviously they are not the same.  I understand cash restraints at this moment in time, but the price we have on the Class 59 is good, bearing in mind its a ESU V5.

We can offer a V4 Decoder with a 66 for £85.00 if you let us know.

Charlie (Legomanbiffo team)

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1