Model rail 138 December

grahame

I don't mind the odd layout with foam underlay, and some of the 'train set' layouts in Model Rail have been some of the most impressive!

Whilst maintaining high quality, you can still have lifelike layouts and train set layouts alongside each other, as it's horses for courses - some people want fun operation and some want absolute authenticity. Most of us are probably somewhere in the middle, which is why Model Rail includes both types.

• RMweb Premium

DVD is pretty good but Oh that backing music its so bloody awful, saw the secretive announcement; coming from Didcot CoT is an old friend which I saw frequently, even remember her bringing the circus train to Didcot and watching the elephants being unloaded, that would make an intersting train. I wonder who are making the model? Hum!

I think that well finished, painted and weathered foam ballast underlay is often going to look a whole lot better than the "Boulders for ballast" frequently seen on many a layout...

Seconded. There isn't much worse than that IMO.

I was a little bit perplexed when I went ambling into Smiths and found the latest copy sitting on the stands... and I didn't yet have it. Luckily it was waiting for me when I got home. I was just about ready to raise hell, especially as I've been looking forward to the article about ballasting, and it's a goodun by the looks of it!

• RMweb Gold

(quote)

This would be good if it came with those that renew their subscriptions as there isnt much point in doing so when you consider that gifts are offered to those that take out the subscription (quote)

The gifts are INTRODUCTORY. If we gave them every time a subscriber renewed, there would be no profit in producing the magazine! We DO give discounts to subscribers on our reader offers, limited editions etc, to reward their loyalty, and will be doing some special things for subscribers at Model Rail Live.

CHRIS LEIGH

I trust that people renewing subscriptions are offered a lower rate than those taking them out for the first time?

This "new customers only" nonsense infuriates me, wherever and whenever I see it - and it's guaranteed to turn me off doing business with the companies concerned.

In time, "new customers" become "existing customers" - if your advertised subscription rates mean that it isn't viable to offer existing customers the same deal you're offering new customers, then might it be more sensible to offer all customers the same deal, at a sustainable price?

There's nothing to stop you offering the "gifts" as an optional extra - if people want them.

I've never been keen on the idea of existing customers being "rewarded" for their loyalty by being required to subsidise offers they'll never be able to benefit from.

Please tell me this isn't going on.

Regards,

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

is the price hike just for this issue?

I sincerely hope so.

Some of us can't afford this price all the time.

I don't want anyone to take offence at my postings - there's certainly none intended - but some of us need to think carefully about what we spend.

I enjoy reading ModelRail, but the price of the current issue is more than I'd be able to pay on a regular basis.

Cost is also the reason why I'm not about to rush out and get a subscription - but who knows what might happen in the future?

My last post was specifically about trying to establish that renewals are not being used to subsidise introductory gifts for new subscribers. That's all it was about - I wasn't accusing anyone connected with any magazine of sharp practices.

A problem for "outsiders" like me is that, usually, only the initial rates get quoted in magazines - so we never know what sort of deal is offered on renewal. This is obviously just as relevant as the initial rate, as many magazines require payment via a credit card (which I've never had - and never wanted) or (more likely) direct debit - which carries on automatically (at a rate set by the magazine) with no input from the customer. Being naturally cautious, I've never been one to commit to anything without knowing upfront exactly what I'm in for.

Anyway, that's more than enough from me. I'm sure we'd all like discussion to return to the magazine - and to model railways in general.

Regards,

Huw.

I've never been keen on the idea of existing customers being "rewarded" for their loyalty by being required to subsidise offers they'll never be able to benefit from. (Quote)

I don't really understand this comment. I'm not in the marketing department and I certainly don't intend coming on here to defend, or otherwise, something I know very little about and have absolutely no control over. 13 x ??3.30 = ??42.90, therefore all the prices quoted in the current subs ad are actually less than going to your newsagent 13 times a year and buying over the counter. Introductory gifts are normal in this and many other industries. Ours generally represent extremely good value. Renewal rates are notified by post and, I believe, are usually at an advantageous rate. On top of that, we offer discounts on Model Rail goods and services to reward subscribers.

The ??3.99 price is for this issue only.(And subscribers are getting it within their standard subscription rate)

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I've never been keen on the idea of existing customers being "rewarded" for their loyalty by being required to subsidise offers they'll never be able to benefit from. (Quote)

I don't really understand this comment. I'm not in the marketing department and I certainly don't intend coming on here to defend, or otherwise, something I know very little about and have absolutely no control over. 13 x ??3.30 = ??42.90, therefore all the prices quoted in the current subs ad are actually less than going to your newsagent 13 times a year and buying over the counter. Introductory gifts are normal in this and many other industries. Ours generally represent extremely good value. Renewal rates are notified by post and, I believe, are usually at an advantageous rate. On top of that, we offer discounts on Model Rail goods and services to reward subscribers.

The ??3.99 price is for this issue only.(And subscribers are getting it within their standard subscription rate)

CHRIS LEIGH

Apart from a query over price of the subscription at the last renewal (I was told one thing in advance and charged something completely different when I 'phoned to renew) I've got no complaints at all about the subscription process or prices at 'Model Rail'.

The rate I am charged for a year seems to always work out cheaper than buying over the counter (partially because it cushions against any cover price increase), the mag comes through my letterbox usually a day or three before it appears on the bookstalls, AND I have had (perfectly legitimately) a free gift on renewal on one occasion (but I'm not going to explain how that can happen as others might copy - ultimately to MR's disadvantage). And it is normally sufficiently well plastic packaged to arrive without being opened (or maybe the Postie is only into US modelling as the one that sometimes does arrive opened is 'Model Railroader' :huh: ).

My only concern about going on subscription was possibly undermining sales at the local WHS - our sole local source of rail orientated magazines - but it seems I needn't have worried because they still get through plenty of copies of 'MR' every month and even seem to shift at least 10 copies each of MRJ and 'Model Railroader' let alone the 'broader market' titles.

So overall I think the subscription process offers good value for money and Bauer did an excellent job keeping us advised by email how the postal strikes were likely to affect distribution and delivery of the magazine - that was the sort of (to me at any rate) unexpected touch which suggested that subscription/marketing departments do care about their customers :icon_thumbsup2: .

And if anyone thinks buying on subscription is not a good deal they have a simple answer - don't take out a subscription!

Picked my copy up today and was a bit surprised to see the price :icon_wow: - just a couple of comments.

CHRIS LEIGH

I assume the price was increased to cover the cost of the DVD - why was there no mention of this within the magazine?

And if anyone thinks buying on subscription is not a good deal they have a simple answer - don't take out a subscription!

I do think buying on subscription is a good deal but still choose not to take it out - simple answer - if I buy it monthly I can choose not to buy an issue if the content does not interest me and still save money! :) :) :)

Ummm, I think the introductory/loyalty thing is overlooking a very obvious answer that I used for 4 years on the trot with my Model Rail subscription - simply allow the subscription to lapse for a month, then take out a new one and claim your free gift. Infact, I used to sometimes wait three or four months for a suitable gift to come round that I wanted and then start the new subscription.

And, just as I was writing that, I remembered that I distinctly recall that in the renewal letter I used to get there was a flyer with a free gift thingy on it, so at least on one occasion the 'existing customer' was offered the same gift as new subscribers.

The only thing I used to get a tiny bit frustrated with was that on several occasions the same gift came round at the same time of year. So if you took out a sub in January and got a scenic kit, through the year various other gifts would be offered and then come January again when you needed to renew the scenic kit would be offered again! But as I said, simply wait a month or two for the gift to change and away you go - not really a problem.

Bought the issue today, not watched the DVD yet - but one little gripe

DVD fixed to mag with sellotape, which "pulled" the print on both mag and dvd. Also left a sticky deposit on the mag (front + back as tape went round bindind side), which stuck to another mag I bought and damaged that also.

The BRM annual 2010 had it's FREE DVD fixed with a sort of soft gel that was easilly removable, and left no trace of stickyness.

Nethertheless not a bad issue. Looking at new and forthcoming products - we have never had it so good - seems there is no recession in our hobby (yet).

Track ballasting article - foam underlay mentioned. I use Peco track & foam u/lay on my loft layout. TIP - Spray it white before laying using cheap poundland spray paint. Yes, it's cellulose, but dries very quickly, doesn't affect the foam at all, and even makes it a bit stiffer and easier to cut & fit. I use cheap car accesory shop matt black / grey / red oxide sprays for the track., before fitting underlay. With a bit of carefull weathering when track and foam ballast laid and its done, also everything is re-useable and easily modified.

Brit15

Sorry about the sticky tape! We always ask for low-tack to be used on these jobs but, to be fair, it is a delicate balancing act between being low tack enough not to tear the mag and so low tack that the discs can be nicked off the cover, rendering the magazine unsaleable. And , yes, they DO get nicked.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Issue 137 states "Free DVD" so why then a increse in price for this issue only? or am I missing something. As for the use of tape to hold dvd to front of mag not good the paper so poor as it is without having to try and remove tape. I have every issue of MR and still think its one of the best model railway mags out but would prefer 12 issues and a better quality paper used myself.

• RMweb Gold

I have every issue of MR and still think its one of the best model railway mags out but would prefer 12 issues and a better quality paper used myself.

Not likely - this would reduce the advertising revenue - so even less chance of decent paper.

I agree with your assessment of the magazine - that's why I buy it most months.

Archived