New switching plank (quite literally!)

Northpoint

I know I should be spending my time working on the Trent Valley show for next year, but with the glorious weather we've had I couldn't resisit taking my new plank into the garden and photographing it.

A small switching layout quite literally on a plank inspired by Shortliner's "Box St" and Julian Andrews' "Yard 6".

I was sitting in my home office last week and thought "What could I do with that 18mm pine shelf that's about 5ft long?". Well, there was only one way to find out and that was to take it down and see...

... and here is the result.

For those that want to know, Peco code 83 track laid directly onto the plank and ballasted with the usual mixture of sand, dirt and so on. DCC operation and so far, hand operated turnouts.

post-6943-0-85813300-1317395533_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-12183400-1317395561_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-82589500-1317395587_thumb.jpg

post-6943-0-91500200-1317395625_thumb.jpg

Still much to do - I guess the weather will change someday and we can get back to the indoor pursuits..

Something I didn't mention earlier is that the tracks continue under the bridge and are joined with a turnout to provide the run-round, as opposed to the sector plate in the original Box St. Also, the "kick-back" spur is part of the hidden part of the layout as opposed to it being in front of the screened staging area.

Just been having a conversation with Jack (Shortliner) over switch levers. I seem to remember soemthing by Lance Mindheim on the subject but neither of us seems to be able to place it. Anybody any offers?

Here's my attempt:

post-6943-0-29759800-1317480981_thumb.jpg

Look about right.

CSX have recently installed them in the small yard next to 440 shortly before the Bayonne Bridge at Bayonne, New Jersey - annoyingly there is nowhere to park or even stop briefly (without being shot at by someone from Staten Island............)

Best, Pete.

Just been having a conversation with Jack (Shortliner) over switch levers. I seem to remember soemthing by Lance Mindheim on the subject but neither of us seems to be able to place it. Anybody any offers?

I know the article you mean. I thought it was in a Model Railroader special "Modelling realistic track" but I can't see it in there. Must be in a regular issue of the mag. Sometime last year perhaps?

Ian

This is mine on The Fiddlestick Job using a Caboose industries ground throw with a broken off lever, and a trimmed off paperclip bent to size and epoxied into a hole in the "worm" that throws the turnout - it looks as though it is in need of a paint job before it goes anywhere!

post-6688-0-25379300-1317561439.jpg.

Something I didn't mention earlier is that the tracks continue under the bridge and are joined with a turnout to provide the run-round, as opposed to the sector plate in the original Box St. Also, the "kick-back" spur is part of the hidden part of the layout as opposed to it being in front of the screened staging area.

They do look good Nick. Lance's Archives http://www.lancemindheim.com/2009_archives.htm about halfway down. I bought mine from the States.

Very nice, Nick. Now get back to the important stuff like organising TVNAM...!!! ;D

One thing always bugs me about shunty-plank track plans.... I see other people's designs and think they look great; I then doodle my own and think they look rubbish, even if they're a close copy of something else... why is that?!?! :(

Switch lever looks good Nick, how did you do it?

Nick

Ok - here we go.

A piece of styrene (20 thou) about 3mm wide and long enough to bridge the extended ties.

Another piece of styrene (30 thou this time) about 7 mm long and about 3 mm high with the top corners "notched" and glued onto the first pice as a veryical support.

The lever is bent from hard steel wire and then glued to the upright and the whole lot painted.

Sorry there's a lot of "about" in the sizes but it was very much a case of guesswork from photos.

Here's another shot:

post-6943-0-26127200-1317630608_thumb.jpg

They do look good Nick. Lance's Archives http://www.lancemind...09_archives.htm about halfway down. I bought mine from the States.

Thanks, Dave. Now I know the dimensions!

Very nice, Nick. Now get back to the important stuff like organising TVNAM...!!! ;D

One thing always bugs me about shunty-plank track plans.... I see other people's designs and think they look great; I then doodle my own and think they look rubbish, even if they're a close copy of something else... why is that?!?! :(

Funny you should say that, Jordan - I sent out a load of TVNAM e-mails at the weekend and I'm awaiting replies...... :rolleyes:

Hi Nick,

I'm having a bit of a senior moment, but can just about follow your track plan description. I'm familiar with Jack's 'Box St' and Julian's 'Yard 6'

Any chance of showing us your track plan?

I'm having thoughts about building a new layout next year and looking for inspiration. :scratchhead:

regards,

Mal

Hi Nick,

I'm having a bit of a senior moment, but can just about follow your track plan description. I'm familiar with Jack's 'Box St' and Julian's 'Yard 6'

Any chance of showing us your track plan?

I'm having thoughts about building a new layout next year and looking for inspiration. :scratchhead:

regards,

Mal

Sorry about my garbled ramblings, Mal.

No drawing but here's an aerial photo.

post-6943-0-35206000-1317652894_thumb.jpg

Funny you should say that, Jordan - I sent out a load of TVNAM e-mails at the weekend and I'm awaiting replies...... :rolleyes:

Good job you said - it went to my "quiet" address....!! Now replied.

Was the Scenic break location changed during construction? It looks slightly strange to see a fully ballasted hidden sidings... ;)

Was the Scenic break location changed during construction? It looks slightly strange to see a fully ballasted hidden sidings... ;)

At the time of ballasting I wasn't too sure where the break would be so I thought I'd carry the ballast on inot the hidden section.

• RMweb Gold

I was sitting in my home office last week and thought "What could I do with that 18mm pine shelf that's about 5ft long?". Well, there was only one way to find out

.....FIGHT!

Sorry, been watching Harry Hill again.... :D

Looks nice, Nick. I actually like the idea of ballasted tracks in "hidden" areas - or at least the first few inches - as they may not be completely hidden from view. Don't like the glimpse under a bridge to unballasted, unpainted track...

Archived