Jamieson Collet goods

hayfield

Arrived today with a Wills Collet goods body and an old motor. Its made in the Jamieson kit fashon so I guess its out of that stable.

post-1131-0-62828800-1317488030_thumb.jpg

Needs renovating but as both cost me about £23 in total not too bad, one splasher and the cab roof is missing. And built as a standard kit with no detailing, but thats the charm of these locos

post-1131-0-62828800-1317488030_thumb.jpg

The footplate needs straightening as the smokebox has come un-soldered from the mounting, so can be tightened up too much.

post-1131-0-22877000-1317488083_thumb.jpg

After putting some power to the motor leads (no pickups) it sprang to life. Early 5 pole motor (no idea of the make) and it runs on for a bit as if it had a flywheel, strange but very good.

Will try and repost better photos tomorrow. Done

post-1131-0-37232700-1317488051_thumb.jpg

Edited by hayfield

32A

Thanks for the photo, you have an added detail version, for 1 moment I thought yours may have had a cast boiler/firebox. The extra detail makes all the difference, I have 2 steps unlike your 8, also the beading boiler bands etc put it into a different league. Your tender has either been modified or is a newer version.

Now with a model this age do you restore it as built with little detail, or give it the works.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with restore as built . You are likely to meet errors dimensional compromises which make the final result disappointing in any case. More modern models are usually more accurate.

I still think that a Dublo Castle is better than the Airfix one and the Dublo A4 and Duchess are superior to the Hornby efforts, with the exception of the very latest models.

(I refer to atmosphere rather than dimensional accuracy, which may be higher.)

Edited by Il Grifone

Thanks for all the advice, I will repair as built.

I have been away for a week and been mulling over things, I took with me 4 bound volumes of Model Railway News from the 50's. Also I was given a Peco spiked turnout kit a week or so ago and won another on Ebay whilst I was away. I have a liking for the layouts I envied in the Railway Modeller as a lad back in the 60's (un-ballasted track, Superquick/Airfix/Bulteezi buildings etc) home made platforms etc.

I have enough Locos and carriages for a medium layout, and have a couple of redundant base boards. So armed with CJF's 60 Plans for Small Locations & 60 Plans for Small Railways I will see if I can find a track plan for a small layout to be built in retro style.

'Arrived today with a Wills Collet goods body and an old motor.'

I don't reckon that it is a Wills body as it is sheet brass construction. Wills are white metal. Like you say, probably Jamieson but without boiler bands etc. as 32a's is.

Just picked up on this topic - I think I would attempt to add a little bit of simple detail. Those missing boiler bands make a big difference and please - thinner cranks they look like they have been roughly sawn from a sheet.

Otherwise worth the effort.

• 9 years later...
On 24/04/2021 at 09:22, hayfield said:

Crikey

I have had it 10 tears and still done nothing with it !!!

O dear ! O dear !

why does this sound to familiar!

at least with this lock down and no guests at my B & B this year I have got some of the pile done