Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What provoked this purchase madness?

105 light, mind you. the 155 makes quite a hefty bang to!

Mind you, having someone set off some PE4 under your feet (for a laugh!) whilst explosive trench digging is certainly not for the weak hearted! Ohhhhh the things those Marines do! ;)

Now as for the Muntjac, not sure if the armour is up to those teeef! Might need the flame thrower attachment to sort them out!

Instant venison BBQ ;)

I deliberately haven't mentioned railway impulse buys, as a certain shop here knows me to well and a certain owner turns into Arkwright, whenever I walk through the door!

Possibly the best to date, has to be the S&DJR 7f, quite superb and well worth a place on any shelf/layout/plank!

Not sure what I am going to do with 25 unlabeled boxes tho....., could start a lucky dip at the next RMWeb do next July! :)

I would suggest that the OP may be considered as mad for being tempted by any everyday item such as a 158!

I think most bizarre purchases are based on either a unique item or because of their size/ strength/ power or because of their beauty. Non of these can justify a 158 surely.

I have to try to resist temptation as it has lead to me abandoning too many ideas and layouts. I seem to become engrossed in the 'novelty' item and want to base a layout around that. All existing stock is then sold to be replaced by suitable stock to run with the 'novelty' purchase. It means I have selections of both N & OO gauge track and buildings along with odd items of stock, which I havent got round to selling, including a Hornby 50007, Dapol limited edition 66114 and other odds and sods and nothing concrete on the modelling board!

The only reason I haven't ever bought any modern image stuff is that my limited resources still haven't stretched as far as all the steam stock I want, and the questioning from my dad as to why I'd bought something that 'I'm not interested in'. Apparently the even a BR green 03 making my Christmas list caused a bit of a stir...

• RMweb Gold

I think the trade is learning that we all - well, many of us (see above 29 entries) - have a weakness for what Jenny Emily once described as the "Ooh! Shiny!" moment. Kernow have apparently already flogged all their Southern Railway 0298s - are there really that many modellers with pre-1948 models of Wadebridge and environs? Of course not. Then we have the latest NRM model - this will sell like hotcakes, in many cases to people who have scant interest in the Midland Railway or the LMS, don't usually run gricers' specials, but recognise a lovely model when they see one.

Every impulse buy we make is a few more coins in the pocket of a dealer and a manufacturer. That money keeps the RTR hobby going. Be proud of your charitable gift!

Guilty as charged me'lud. I bought plenty of oh so sensible locos that actually worked on the Standedge route over the Pennines. Now they are about to be joined by immigrants from planet Compound, Garratt and MR 3F. A pint for the bloke that coined modellers licence! ^_^

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest that the OP may be considered as mad for being tempted by any everyday item such as a 158!

I think most bizarre purchases are based on either a unique item or because of their size/ strength/ power or because of their beauty. Non of these can justify a 158 surely.

Not at all. Bachmann perform a peculiar magic with the Arriva DMUs: distinctly unpleasant in real life, they become thoroughly appealing models. It works for the 150 too and is just as effective in N gauge. Besides which, in my limited experience, the 158 is one of the best trains built by or for British Rail and well deserving of a place on the mantelpiece. Shame it's such an old model - I wonder if the NRM would care to sponsor a new one :)

Flying pig, I think the 158 in 00 is a lovely model. I had one in First Scotrail livery which was a brilliant model and many years back had the original express livery one as well. During an n gauge period I also had a Swoosh liveried one, which is one model I really do think is in need of a drastic remodelling. Come on Bachmann - all new n gauge 158 please!

My original thoughts was (as Old Dudders has worded it) it doesnt really fall into the 'ooh shiny' category but everyone has a different view - c'est la vie!

:crazy: :blush: I've spent far too much money over several years now 'accumulating' 00 stock & locos, also a little N and really regret this :blush:. They have nowhere to run, though I have also got a collection of Kato & Fleischmann track. Outside I have a wonderful 16mm/foot garden railway with live steam and track that doesn't ever need cleaning + wonderful green ever changing background + couplings that are never a problem. The British 16mm gets far more use than the Chinese plastic mice. Retail therapy i suppose...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

I keep getting drawn to O Gauge wagon kits and the fabulously detailed underframes and brake gear. Thankfully I've resisted as one wagon would lead to another, then a coach and then something would be needed to pull them, and then they'd need somewhere to run. No problem apart my core 'like' is BR(S) in Cornwall, but in 4mm......

My 6 union pacific ho diesels [sd40/60/70 , u30c, gp40, c44-9] , my o gauge Heljan 47 , two Atlas o sd40s, 6 FS e656s , all fit in just fine with the BR blue 70/80s oo layout ive just started building and all my BR blue locos and stock........................

Sometimes you cant help yourself can you.

Those new Bowser HO CP MLW c630m s look nice dont they...........im sure i can fit one of those in somewhere...................it never ends does it !

Reading JZ's post struck a chord, I model Sheffield area ex GCR 1950s-60s, however my last few purchases have took some justifying. Class 15, well the first 10 were built in Sheffield. Co-Bo er, well there is a connection to the Midland at Beighton Near Woodhose. And the last one out of the blue I succumbed to a Baccy Super D (lovely model) same Midland excuse! But really just because I like them :sungum: . Oh and I've ordered a Garratt!! Main thing is enjoy the hobby Cheers Phil.

Fret ye not about the Co-Bo. I have a video in my collection of one at Holbeck shed, so not too far away. It had arrived towing one or more steam locos for scrap, presumably from Carnforth or Barrow. Who is to say that the kettles could not have been on their way to Wards, of Broughton Lane and the class 28 took them all the way?

Super Ds may also have got to places you think they could not have reached. I have read in a Railway Observer of one reaching Boston Lincs on an iron ore train from the Leicestershire/Northants direction.

• RMweb Premium

In the last 3 years I seem to have acquired an enormous number of tank wagons: Dapol milk 6-wheelers, Bachy Tarmac and Petoleum etc. Fiddle yard is clogged with them and lots in their boxes. I have no idea why!

Obviously some kind of fetish. Perhaps good old Dr Freud could explain ("your muzzer first met your farzer on ze back of a UHT milk tank van way back..."?)

Jeff

Reading this reminds me of cautionary tale in a mag about Ebay madness, its not just modellers who fall victim to the disease.

I have to confess to Ebay madness with regard to models. I have two boxes of junk that I bought, mostly kits but some RTR, thinking I was getting a bargain.

I am slowly - at a loss - selling them back to some other poor souls with the same incurable condition.

Jack

• RMweb Premium

Fret ye not about the Co-Bo. I have a video in my collection of one at Holbeck shed, so not too far away. It had arrived towing one or more steam locos for scrap, presumably from Carnforth or Barrow. Who is to say that the kettles could not have been on their way to Wards, of Broughton Lane and the class 28 took them all the way?

Super Ds may also have got to places you think they could not have reached. I have read in a Railway Observer of one reaching Boston Lincs on an iron ore train from the Leicestershire/Northants direction.

Hi Jonny,

thanks for that info, this is one of the things that makes this hobby so fascinating :sungum: . To add to the weird and wonderful, I'm waiting on receiving a Hornby Grange :jester: . This has credibility for me, as Woolston Grange (normally taken off at Nottingham) managed to get all the way up to Huddersfield via Sheffield Vic on exGCR metals on Sat. 15th August 1964, and must have passed thro' Woodhouse to achieve this, a complete one off, but it adds to the variety. So 6858 Woolston Grange it's going to be :no: .

Cheers Phil.

In the last 3 years I seem to have acquired an enormous number of tank wagons: Dapol milk 6-wheelers ... I have no idea why!

Obviously some kind of fetish. Perhaps good old Dr Freud could explain ...

Let me unlock your subconscious. When you were very young your mother withdrew the milk tankers, and unknowing you have missed them ever since...

• RMweb Premium

Let me unlock your subconscious. When you were very young your mother withdrew the milk tankers, and unknowing you have missed them ever since...

Thanks 34. Are you privy to some information I'm not aware of?... Lol.

Whatever the reason, having over 60 tank wagons on the size of layout I have is quite ridiculous!

I seem to have a thing about green liveried "Peaks" diesels too! Ermmm...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I'm stuck very firmly in the 80s for my layouts, and tend to be very strict on that. Why is there a Hornby Pendolino in the cupboard? And why does it have Kestrel keeping it company? (Oh and the two car networker belongs to my late cat, not to me...)

Andi

• RMweb Premium

I believe an abiding interest in pairs of milk tankers to be normal behaviour among adult males.

Thanks Ian. You've sussed me out without the need for any psychiatry. But how do you explain my interest in the Tarmac tankers? (got you there!!).

Best wishes,

Jeff

Archived