Heljan 7mm Class 20

brian daniels

I have just run a prototype 7mm class 20 round my garden layout to see what it will do. I only tried a 5 coach train but it ran round with ease. This is not as heavy as the other locos from Heljan but it still pulls enough for a type one loco. There are still some steps to put on and a brake cylinder is missing. Whilst I was at it I thought I would take some pics next to one of my JLTRT 20's. Make your own mind up about them bothsmile.gif

post-6766-12595963041966_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963102597_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963154956_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963203334_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963276589_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963338565_thumb.jpg

post-6766-125959636114_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963671597_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963735976_thumb.jpg

post-6766-12595963786042_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

thanks for posting the comparison photos. It seems that the only main item is the (lack of) representation of the rubber seals on the windows on the cab on the Heljan version, but bearing in mind that the JLTRT one was kit built and painted including the rubbers and you would then do the same to the Heljan model, I cannot see much to comment on, until I get my sweaty hands on one that is! (large numbers and Kingfisher logo etc. already on order from John Peck).

Just sorting out a JLTRT Whistler to do - lack of parts list for the castings does not really help matters.

regards

Mike

Just sorting out a JLTRT Whistler to do - lack of parts list for the castings does not really help matters.

regards

Mike

The window rubbers are moulded on the glazing but as you can see it is not painted. One of the little jobs to do when you get one.

What do you want to know about the JLTRT 40 kit Mike. What 40 do you want to do?

Hi Brian,

thanks for picking up on the 40. I'm doing D232 Empress of Canada, for a very good friend. I have opened the castings bags, in turn, and as you know, there are no lists to check the contents against, so I'll blunder on and see where I get. having said that, there are discrepancies in the fixings bag and I sent an email to Laurie earlier this evening, and it bounced back, so I'll phone him tomorrow afternoon when we get back from shopping in Chester.

I have acess to your detail photos and have also been building up a library of 40's books, including Deisels in Depth - Class 40 by David Clarke. I'll keep you posted on progress - or lack of it.

Again, many thanks for your interest.

regards

Mike

I've noticed that they have different shaped buffer beams at the cab end. (5th photo)

The JLTRT one appears to slope inwards all the way, the Heljan one goes straight down for a short distance, then slopes inwards.

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent post Brian - always good to get an early feel for the new model.

One thing that concerns me with this new class 20 - is to do with the Heljan Blue version as detailed below:-

I saw it in the flesh at Warley (in my mind something just wasn't right) and then more recently in the Model Railway press in a newsagents - Model Rail I think but I'm not 100% sure - sorry for not providing an exact reference here!

I believe the problem with the blue version is the way the yellow paint on the nose end meets the blue paint along the bodyside. Brian's 20009 is perfect but the Heljan one has the yellow paint meeting the blue paint at an angle of approx 10 degrees (ie parallel to the nose front when viewed from side elevation) whereas it should be vertical. Basically there is not enough yellow paint on the nose at the side. Has anyone got a photo as this is not too easy to describe?

I spoke to Tower Models on this (as they have been heavily involved in it's development with Heljan) and all they said was "we're happy with it and it's now gone past the production stage" so it's obviously too late to change. I can only think they've accidentally worked from a very early BR blue photo but it is certainly not correct for class 20's in BR blue from mid 70's through to final service in BR Blue and that's the period 95% of people will want to model. It's probably based on an early photo from the very late 60's/early 70's? I think it's real shame / oversight which a number of people won't be too pleased with when they see it. With these O guage rtr models I think you have to try to appeal to the masses to help maximise sales and I don't think this paint version will help.

I'm modelling BR Blue in the North East so class 20's were not common (apart from later years at Thornaby) so I wasn't planning on definitely getiing one and after this I think I'm going to be less inclined to get one as I'd have to repaint the yellow nose.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Excellent post Brian - always good to get an early feel for the new model.

I spoke to Tower Models on this (as they have been heavily involved in it's development with Heljan) and all they said was "we're happy with it and it's now gone past the production stage" so it's obviously too late to change.

That quote made me chucklelaugh.gif

The yellow will be back round the nose and not like the pre production one which as you noted was like some early blue ones were done.

Brian, I am suprised at you.....I thought you might have at least repainted the Heljan to match the JLTRT...

I'm surprised to see a Green 'un in Brian's possession in the first place... :lol: :P ...maybe it's just on loan, which would explain the distinct lack of BR Blue on it... ;)

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised to see a Green 'un in Brian's possession in the first place... :lol: :P ...maybe it's just on loan, which would explain the distinct lack of BR Blue on it... ;)

Maybe its a past life regression.....we'll be seeing a black diesel next!

Hi Brian

Compared to the JLRT one, Built by the Maestro (You)and which is just superb!- it doesn't look at all bad to me!

Cab window rubbers can easily be sorted!

I grew up with the 20s at Westhouses in Derbyshire. My first ever intro to trains was there in 1972 and I've been hooked ever since.

It started a career on the railways!

I've got 29 years in this year!

I'm a Western region nut though, so a 20's a bit dodgy for me!

I know they occasionally got to Gloucester.

• 7 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Nice! Ordered 2 blue ones domino and headcode, just add sound cant wait. The weed killer train has been sat at Sheffield Midland for the last two Friday afternoons just idling away, sounds lovely but I think other passengers found it annoying, tough I find them annoying carrying cups of coffee in one hand and i phone in the other!! Oh for the late 1970’s.......

• 1 month later...

New 20’s on the way on Tower site today due Dec 17

First batch now due early January 2018. Second batch due Late January/Early February 2018 according to recent Tower website update.

Fortunately mine BR Blue domino Headcode 20 will be in the first batch