cactustrain

Woodmores Scrapyard

I recall travelling past Woodhams every fortnight on my way for a weekend leave from the RAF. The atmosphere even to a 17 year old, was quite upsetting. At the end of my posting there were many gaps in the sidings and I was never sure whether they had been cut up or taken for preservation. I do remember some had details chalked on them suggesting a reprieve but I was a novice spotter and unable to work out types or classes. This is a beautiful reminder of the sadness and I think on a par with a David Shepherd picture of Woodham's yard in three dimensions.

Excellent piece of work, well done.

Bl**dy h*ll, those look really good.... (mutter, mutter, mutter....)

• Like 3

I don't want to just repeat the last two posts but I can't leave this without saying that those detail shots are incredible - some of the best I've seen on RMWeb and that's saying something!

Very, very good! Atmospheric doesn't begin to describe it!

Edited by shortliner

I am a new guy here, and just getting to look at some of the great work you guys do ! This setting, all it's contents and the breath taking photography blew me away !. Most excellent.

Very impressed by this! It isn't easy to model scrap metal convincingly (I've tried and never really been satisfied with my efforts) but this is really well done.

Jim

• Like 1

Yes, got my vote too....... Disturbing subject, but A+ for execution.

Love the mood - especially the backdrop colours, really adds depth to the depression......

Edited by bundeena2230

It's utterly fantastic. Now please take this in the spirit in which it's intended - as I would like to think someone would mention in the 'How Realistic Are Your Models' photo thread - the ONLY conceivable detail that signifies it's a model, is the lack of vertical tension in the crane's jib rigging. If that was hanging straight down it would be the icing on the cake for me.

Excellent stuff, and incredibly well modelled. Breathtaking.

I've seen a few scrapyards attempted, but none has come close to the attention to detail, and realism that this purveys.

My son, a welder/plater by trade, laughed out loud with pleasure at the burning gear, remarking on it's closeness to reality and the fire-blankets placed over the motion.

I noticed rusty tubes, with CLEAN cut ends........just as they would be. I could go on. I CANNOT believe that those are Airfix/Dapol kits.

Excellent, what an eye for detail.

This one gets my vote.

• Like 2

stunning, you should extend it!!! do me a favour and chalk 'reserved' on the bullied, ill be there with my cheque book and 1970's trousers monday!! how did you obtain a length of track used by james may?

Edited by Dan Griffin

HI

I just love this work of art, having been to Bary a few times you have cought the atmopshere of what the place looked like on a damp over cast day ,just stunning bit of work :good_mini: .

This was amazing - I think your Clint Eastwood comments sums it up - words just cannot do it justice - such atmosphere!

Thanks for all the nice comments, guys. The Hornby track was in my local model shop and the Hornby rep. was in who confirmed that most dealers had some.

I have just finished the scrapyard, and am hoping it may appear in print some time.

In the meantime, here's 36 mm2 of Bulleid tender. 'Can you tell what it is yet?'.

post-7246-0-64698400-1327172821.jpg

Happy modelling!

• Like 2

FAN...B....y.......TASTIC,................truley SUPERB modelling at it's VERY BEST,.........only One little tiny thing,........and this is not a critisism,.........cos there ain't anything to fault................the shadows you mentioned NEVER really detracted me,....

It's ONLY a shame the crane hook and cable couldn't be tensioned somehow,.........and quite basically you could fool anyone with the pics you've done,.........on a inexpensive camera source as well, WOW!!!

A truley deserved piece of modelling that should be on show,......do you plan to take this to a show???.......I'm sure there WILL be many offers!!..........will it be featured in one of the monthly Railway modelling mags, REALLY think you should consider this.........a BENCHMARK for others to follow.........and also proves `ANYONE' can be actively involved in Railway Modelling......WELL DONE!!! :) :pleasantry: :good: