Upbeach St Mary 2

mullie

For some time I've had an idea to add a continuous run to Upbeach St Mary using Hornby third radius curves with a rear fiddle yard or even more scenic units. The curved section would not be scenic as the radius is a bit tight for me (the scenic part is Peco code 75). So I took a box file that I had prepared some time ago to slot into the layout went through the odd bits of wood I had and found the necessary ply to create a good track laying surface. To be honest, by the time I was finished there wasn't much left of the box file!

I know the general view is to make back scenes higher but as this layout has to be stored whenever we have guests, children's sleepovers etc. it needs to be easily stored in my office area at home so I can't use high back scenes.

Upbeach is very flexible, the original layout had just four box files including one for the fiddle yard. As a result of the challenge I have added another two and so the layout can be end to end in original form but I hope to use the Upbeach 2 module to add a continuous run, possibly with more box files down the other side. The curves are a real change from the SMP I usually work with, especially as I build most of my points to fit the site rather than from templates. Revisiting Upbeach has been quite a refreshing break from building the next part of my Pott Row layout where I am currently installing a Peco turntable.

I couldn't make the platform work as a passenger halt so it has become a loading dock for various items and I finally found a use for the pillbox I built years ago! A station halt will be added when I upgrade the other two existing modules. Passenger services will eventually be provided by a Bachmann 108 DMU when it arrives, goods services by a Bachmann class 08 and 24 and a Hornby 08. When funds allow a class 15 would be good.

Archived