Upbeach St Mary

mullie

Some of you may have seen my micro layout in the July Railway Modeller.I had been planning to insert at least one more box into the layout anyway so thought I could throw my hat into the ring as a deadline might make me get it finished. I'm also upgrading the whole layout including scenery and electrics as the RM article was written some time ago. The layout was never meant to be truly portable in an exhibition sense but now it will be.

The layout, of which this is one section is set on the edge of the fens where things tend to be very flat and rather feature less for miles but nevertheless have a real charm of their own. I've been looking at books and pictures of the Wisbech and Upwell tramway and particularly the idea of modelling a small area based on Outwell Basin alongside the river and so this is what the module is based on even though it looks nothing like it and isn’t operated in a tramway style!

At home the layout can be set up as a small end to end shunting layout but I am also looking to add Hornby 3rd radius curves at each end and some sort of cassette fiddle yard or more box files along the back for variety. Therefore, the track along the back of each box is the 'main line' with sidings in front.

What's next? to revamp the scenery on the rest of the layout so there is continuity across the box files and I need to build a new fiddle yard. Many thanks to all who have taken an interest in this RM novice. I’m also tempted to try exhibiting the layout ( a first for me as I don't belong to a club) if anyone is interested.

Archived