A Gentlemen's (Staff Only) Restroom

• RMweb Gold

Link to original build thread here.

Now this really was a daft idea.

Following on from a thread wondering which was the grottiest toilet that had been seen modelled, in an idle moment I doodled a quick sketch.

post-7025-0-65263700-1317642941_thumb.gif

I knew I couldn't make the pan or sink myself, but everything else could be done fairly simply, the challenge was to make it look authentically grotty. With vauge memories of that scene from "Trainspotting", I searched the internet for some suitable products. The were found at Elf Miniatures.

Once a scale of these items had been determined (it works aout about 1:10), I set about making the main floor & walls. I'd noticed that the floor of 'The Shed' had warped slighty once I'd added paint & scenery, so I made this floor a sandwich of thee layers of 5mm foamboard (well two layers and some spacer strips). The walls were made from card & more foamboard.

The planked floor is made from cheap lollypop sticks, the lower part of the wall is SEF metal cladding and coffee stirrers were used for the dado rail. The door is simply two layers of card, the partition is a piece of 1.5mm card on some cut-down plastic sprues. Pipes are brass or plastic tubing, the header tank is a blister pack originally containing tap washers. Inside the header tank is a slice of choc-block connector.

Then a cheap set of acrylic paints was used to stain and paint everything.

I think this is the only entry (so far) which doesn't actually have any railway track on - the railway references are the RMT poster on the door and the BR totem on the mirror - hopefully that is enough to satisfy the judges and voters.

post-7025-0-48125700-1317644004_thumb.jpg

Proof of height

post-7025-0-01548200-1317644108_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone who commented on the build thread

• RMweb Gold
Since the Sun head line is "gotcha" and the paper is intact then your model is based on the 23 or 24th May 1984....

The Q

[adenoid voice mode]

It's actually 4th May, 1982, referencing an event during the Falklands Conflict.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Sun_(Gotcha).png

[/adenoid voice mode]

• RMweb Gold
(enhanced adenoidal historical nit-picker mode) But the RMT was founded in 1990!

Well of course the model is set in the 90's, the paper just demonstrates how long it's been since the facility was cleaned...

I think you're taking the urine with this... after all it really is a bog standard piece of work that, quite frankly, make me want to go. (or maybe not looking at the state of the pot!)

Well done on another excellent entry - it certainly appeals to my sense of humour.

I wish I had your imagination; you deserve a prize for originality.

Gotcha, (I think) refers to the sinking of the Belgrano, when a 'pleasant cruise Down South' (as we were told!!) turned into the reality of war!

Great entry Stubbs, the smell is almost tangible!

It'll give the Judges something to go on anyway! ;)

snapback.pngThe Q, on 03 October 2011 - 20:07 , said:

Since the Sun head line is "gotcha" and the paper is intact then your model is based on the 23 or 24th May 1984....

The Q

[adenoid voice mode]

It's actually 4th May, 1982, referencing an event during the Falklands Conflict.

http://en.wikipedia....The_Sun_(Gotcha).png

[/adenoid voice mode]

You Are entirely correct, I recogised the significance of the head line and did a quick web search for the date and got probably the only site in the universe with the wrong date! My memory for dates is useless, it was only 29 ears ago.... Oh God I feel old...

I didn't go to the Falklands at the time As I was not qualified on the correct equipment (they dropped it into the sea anyway).

However I did later go during the 10th aniversary (and several times after) to fit some equipment, and On those visits went round many of the battle sites and Memorials very interesting and moving..

The Q

• RMweb Gold

It's only after your post did I realise myself what the headline was about - I'd just picked an image of the front page of The Sun.

From reading your last post, and re-reading Black Rat's post, that it becomes obvious that what was to me a war on TV in a very far away place was actually very real to many people.

Consequently, I hope the use of this headling has not upset or offended anyone, or belittled the history or the memories of those who were involved in any way.

Stu

Stu, no probs at all! (On behalf of 3 Commando Brigade Royal Marines :)!)

I do remember some folks got a bit sniffy when the Sun published it and there was a bit of a hooo haaa about it all!

Make no bones about it, they would have done the same given the chance!

So, ..........................dont cry for me Marge and Tina! ;)

Archived