Brockley Hill (Northern Line)

Burkitt

Wanting to have somewhere to display my N scale 1995 stock, and inspired by the Unfinished London video on Youtube, I have built a model of Brockley Hill station on the unbuilt Northern Heights extension of the London Underground Northern Line.

P7080347.JPG

This is all that exists of the real station today, which was started but never completed. Tony Beard's By Tube Beyond Edgeware includes thorough history of the planned extension and details of the stations including scale drawings and artists' visualisations.

When I started the model just over a month before the end of the competition, I said I would have to remember my favourite Douglas Adams quote if I did not get it finished. That being the case, here it is again:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

PA030009%2520copy.jpg

The model depicts the station building and the platforms raised up on a viaduct, with the distinctive curved row of shops in front. To fit within the space permitted for the challenge, I have had to use some selective compression. The booking hall is to accurate scale dimensions, but I have reduced the number of both arches and shops from seven to four.

PA030023b.jpg

The model is made largely from foamboard and card, and clad in Scalescenes textures printed on waterproof plasticised paper. Information on the correct signage for the platforms was taken from the official London Underground sign positioning and design guide.

P9280347%2520copy.jpg

The track is Peco code 55, with Marklin Z scale rails attached to track pins used for the conductor rails. Ballast is chinchilla sand stuck down with dilute PVA applied from an old superglue bottle, and brush painted with various shades of brown.

PA030014%2520copy.jpg

P9130693.JPG

PA030046b.jpg

P9300753.JPG

PA030017%2520copy.jpg

PA030030b.jpg

PA030048b.jpg

Paul

Archived