NRM Midland Compound

exet1095

• RMweb Gold

This is on the Bachmann website:: http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/

A Midland Compound for £135 (2,500 available from 11 October ) or a platinum edition (of 500) for £170 next month.

Cheers,

Paul

Well at least I got the number of driving wheels right - looks like the Compound party outvoted the Director's supporters. Great for those of a leaning towards certain parts of the LMS I suspect - and presumably other liveries for this condition of the loco will now be only a few years away.

Only question is do I get one to 'keep up the score on NRM/Bachmann 'specials' :scratchhead: But then it did work crankexs in my (slightly broadened) period of interest - ah :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Yipee, can now replicate the Ian Allan Special to Doncaster Works hauled by City of Truro and the Midland Compound (photo of which appeared in Model Rail) that I was a passenger on.....how many years ago?....must be at least 50 years ago :stinker: .

Any other RMWebbers ride that train?

A pal phoned last night to tell me to watch out for an NRM announcement. He said it would be a D49. I said noooooo, a Compound.

Yippee. It looks to be a very accurate model of the preserved Compound. Note I said preserved. Presumably Bachmann scanned it as the Tender is the ex S&DJR type and not a pucker MR version. Some alteration will be necessary to the leading side curve on the 'coal sheet'.

One could of course model it on one of the LMS 6' 9" LH drive loco commencing No. 1085 of 1925 and fit a Bachmann Fowler 3,500 gallon tender. From my viewpoint, it is a shame to obliterate that lovery lake with BR lined black... :lol:

The Stationmaster :

- looks like the Compound party outvoted the Director's supporters.

Here's the two together in 1962........

post-6680-0-44307900-1317731282.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yipee, :no: Lets hope it is the fore runner of more versions, and it does not just stay at being only 1000. It was measured about 18months ago, but Bachman have measured various other engines like 2968 and nothing came of that.

Seeing also that it means there is now a Deeley Tender (from 53804?) does this mean we will get the earlier 7fs with a Deeley tender????

Seeing also that it means there is now a Deeley Tender (from 53804?) does this mean we will get the earlier 7fs with a Deeley tender????

Good point.

I was all ready to make a purchase of the Compound while Mrs. Coach is out but it ain't up and listed yet.

That's very good news- the Compound was pretty high on the list of what I'd hoped it would be.

That's an interesting point about the tender-swapping possibilities between the Compound and S&D 7F... Hope that there's enough sales potential in this one for a more 'workaday' version of the Compound in future- as Coach said, it would be a pity to have to repaint that gorgeous crimson lake...

Wonder what the exclusivity period is on the NRM releases before Bachmann can use the tooling in their mainstream range?

That's very good news- the Compound was pretty high on the list of what I'd hoped it would be.

That's an interesting point about the tender-swapping possibilities between the Compound and S&D 7F... Hope that there's enough sales potential in this one for a more 'workaday' version of the Compound in future- as Coach said, it would be a pity to have to repaint that gorgeous crimson lake...

Wonder what the exclusivity period is on the NRM releases before Bachmann can use the tooling in their mainstream range?

If Truro and Deltic are anything to go by, the Compound won't ever be in the main range.

• RMweb Premium

It was measured about 18months ago, but Bachman have measured various other engines like 2968 and nothing came of that.

18 months is not unreasonable from measuring/scanning to finished model, so who knows about 2968. There may well be other locos already scanned and in the development process for all we know?

If Truro and Deltic are anything to go by, the Compound won't ever be in the main range.

I hope not, I want a few of these in BR Black for Weeklyn hill and would not be keen on repainting this beauty. Given that Deltic was a one off and Truro was the only one for the last 60-70 years or so (someone will confirm) I suspect the compound maybe different as some of these survived to BR days.

Either way my plan not to buy any new models for the next month or so has gone!

Yes; very good news. I have one in my hand at the mo and at first viewing it's excellent. I'll be doing a review later on with decent imagery and hopefully have chance to give it a run for you.

Just one small correction, the price of teh standard edition will be £140 (there were two different figures in differing information) and advance ordering will be possible from 11th October (and not before) and I expect the first 2,500 + 500 will get taken up very quickly. Stocks will be available quite soon after the order date (allowing for docking, customs clearance and movement to the NRM).

Will there be a tender in common with the 3F ?

The Compound never ran with a Johnnson 3F type. There were three variants of Deeley long wheelbase plus a non-standard high capacity coal railed tender, the standard Fowler type, Stanier short w.b. high sided tender, and the rebuilds with short tank on long wheelbase chassis.

There was a batch of MR Compounds with shallow mainframes. Also watch out for short and tall cnimney, domes and lock up safety valves. The LMS version had sloping cover plates below the smokebox sides. Many were later given longer frames that protruded above the footplate

Archived