Model Rail 162 November 2011

dibber25

Also if short on space why have we had two page spreads for what seems like an eternity plugging "Model Rail Live".

I have to agree the team need to watch the amount of cross-plugging. All the issues I've bought recently have had spreads on MR Live and also a spread with large photos of all the limited editions which don't seem to vary much from month to month. Not to mention the sometimes sublime but also subliminal pictures of Sentinels...

These issues have all also had some good content and I thought Model Rail Live was an excellent event. Nonetheless I do sometimes feel as if I'm getting something pushed at me that I've already decided I'm either interested or not interested in and seeing the same stuff yet again won't change my mind.

Really liked Ramsbottom article. But is it me or was it chopped down? The narrative seemed to end quite suddenly. Could really have done with more. Also if short on space why have we had two page spreads for what seems like an eternity plugging "Model Rail Live". Hopefully they've got it out their system with the last two page spread showing the actual event, but then again I would rather have had 2 further pages on Ramsbottom .

Thanks for the kind comments, it does seem to be cut down from the original article but dont forget the original was 6 pages long but im not complaining as im just glad to see it in a magazine

I have to agree the team need to watch the amount of cross-plugging. All the issues I've bought recently have had spreads on MR Live and also a spread with large photos of all the limited editions which don't seem to vary much from month to month. Not to mention the sometimes sublime but also subliminal pictures of Sentinels...

These issues have all also had some good content and I thought Model Rail Live was an excellent event. Nonetheless I do sometimes feel as if I'm getting something pushed at me that I've already decided I'm either interested or not interested in and seeing the same stuff yet again won't change my mind.

It is absolutely essential to advertise products and events in which large sums of money have been invested. It should be remembered that we produce a magazine for 30,000 readers, some of whom do change their minds and others of whom are new readers and haven't seen the ads before. The limited edition ads do change when new products arrive but in the meantime we have stock of other items which we have to sell through. No adverts = no sales, no sales = no new products.

CHRIS LEIGH

It is absolutely essential to advertise products and events in which large sums of money have been invested...

I do agree but only up to a point. My own perception is that this sort of content is repetitive and increasing and getting close to the level at which the objectiveness of the magazine and the enjoyment of reading it will reduce. However not many people seem to be agreeing with me so perhaps it's just me and I should make my own buying decision in private.

• RMweb Gold

I do agree but only up to a point. My own perception is that this sort of content is repetitive and increasing and getting close to the level at which the objectiveness of the magazine and the enjoyment of reading it will reduce. However not many people seem to be agreeing with me so perhaps it's just me and I should make my own buying decision in private.

I find repetitive ads in magazines very similar to tv ads - if I've seen it once I don't notice it on subsequent occasions unless something has changed and what has arrived interests me. I don't necessarily argue with all the MR Live coverage - that's the mag going beyond its normal comfort zone and it's good to hear it was a success but I wasn't attracted to the event and that wasn't helped by it not being an easy journey for me so, as with repetitive ads, once I'd established it as 'not readily accessible for me' I ignored all the promotional coverage, but I have glanced briefly at the report of the event.

I think this sort of thing is basically just like anything else in a mag - sometimes there are bound to be things which lie outside our areas of interest which will get no more than a cursory glance. We might miss something in consequence but that is a price we pay for being selective, and equally we might not like it but many others might.

I find repetitive ads in magazines very similar to tv ads - if I've seen it once I don't notice it on subsequent occasions unless something has changed and what has arrived interests me. I don't necessarily argue with all the MR Live coverage - that's the mag going beyond its normal comfort zone and it's good to hear it was a success but I wasn't attracted to the event and that wasn't helped by it not being an easy journey for me so, as with repetitive ads, once I'd established it as 'not readily accessible for me' I ignored all the promotional coverage, but I have glanced briefly at the report of the event.

I think this sort of thing is basically just like anything else in a mag - sometimes there are bound to be things which lie outside our areas of interest which will get no more than a cursory glance. We might miss something in consequence but that is a price we pay for being selective, and equally we might not like it but many others might.

Spot on! What's that quote about not pleasing all the people all of the time? The best any magazine can hope for is to please MOST of its readers, MOST of the time.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I was very pleased with the way the layout looked, probably says more about the quality of Chris Nevard's photography than my modelling! A much better colour balance than was managed in BRM which made everything look a bit lurid green.

Article is only spoiled by the grinning fisog of the builder.

David Barham

I was very pleased with the way the layout looked, probably says more about the quality of Chris Nevard's photography than my modelling! A much better colour balance than was managed in BRM which made everything look a bit lurid green.

Article is only spoiled by the grinning fisog of the builder.

David Barham

You're very kind - I only photograph what I see with studio lighting bringing out the best in any layout (not Photoshop - that's only used to cover up the flying ducks on the wall) so it's all down to your excellent model making. The most fun but was using a long exposure to capture the falling aggregate as below (and you'll have to buy the mag to see the rest of the shots or creep around one of the chaps with extra copies)...

post-6681-0-53752600-1318508557_thumb.jpg

Edit 19.20 hrs....

A snap of Ruddington showing a military working destined for the MOD branch at Ruddington (clag is fake). Much more in the mag of course :sungum:

post-6681-0-83470600-1318529796_thumb.jpg

Both pics copyright Chris Nevard & Model Rail.

<<edited for inclusion of Ruddington photo>>

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, mine arrived yesterday, only a week after the October issue (they usually take 3 weeks or so to reach Portugal). That's means I'll probably have to wait more than 6 weeks for my next fix...

Good job though - October had less of interest in it for me, whereas this issue looks much better in that respect. My painting skills are pretty poor and the Masterclass and other related articles look really helpful.

But if Backscene falls by the wayside again next month :read: :rtfm: , I might have to cancel my subscription in protest !!!!

• RMweb Premium

I also am still waiting for the November issue to arrive by post, to do with some subscribers receiving two copies perhaps?

I will leave it until Monday and contact the subscription company,

Is any one else still waiting for theirs to arrive?

TimP

Archived