7mm JLTRT mark 2 DBSO 9714 Network Rail

Vin

Hi All,

At the moment I'm in the middle of a mark 2F DBSO build. First I started with a mark 2D BSO kit from Just Like the Real Thing. This kit is a great starting point with it's resin body, sides and underframe, which need modification. So work required is as follows.

Under frame - Removing certain air conditioning control boxes and ducting. Adding an extra air tank (what this is for, I don't know. Any ideas?), which I've scratch built from tube, milliput and scrap brass. Scratch building the cow deflector. Adding extra conduit and piping. Not fitting the tread brake and handbrake rigging (as these are no longer guard's vans in the conventional sense any more).

Side no1 (driver's side) - Cutting out the cab parts (daunting modification). Fitting a scratch built generator radiator and reusing the doors for the cab. Blanking off shower cubicle window (the one next to the toilet).

post-11695-0-48072100-1317763823_thumb.jpg

Bits to cut off.

post-11695-0-03958100-1317763958_thumb.jpg

Side no2 (secondman's side) - Cutting out cab side window and blanking off the end window in the guards end. Blanking off the kitchen mirror/ splash back window.

All of this has been done. The best part of this kit is the fact all the parts can be painted and transfers fitted before final construction takes place.

post-11695-0-71055500-1317765222_thumb.jpg

This is network rail yellow sides, showing off the scratch build radiator grill to good effect and the roof fitted with pure white LED's.

Tomorrow I'll add the rest of this posting, as it's quite long and is nearing completion, but I'm missing some areas.

Cheers

Vin

Hi all,

This bit should bring the project up to speed, with some new photos. This DBSO will be DCC controlled using a decoder from a Hornby Pendolino. As all it controls is the lights.

Headlight and marker lights

Tail lights

Cab lights

Interior lights

post-11695-0-24723100-1317835370_thumb.jpg

One side and the end have been glued together. The bronze tint for the flush glazing in passenger area is created using tv/film colour correction gel (Lee Filters no. 156 chocolate). Which is attached with a small blob of superglue on the corners. As most glues will destroy the gel, because its not designed to be glued.

The end of the coach is missing the 3phase outlet socket to the right hand side of the gangway and the central door locking light.

I'll take some under frame pictures later before assembly to the body. Also of the cow defender on the front end.

One note on the roof is the fact this kit contains no 'roevac' air ventilators. This particular DBSO having seven of them. Does anyone have any dimensions of these?

Cheers

Vin

Hi Pugsley,

If you think that is expensive to hack around, just have a look what it goes with.........

post-11695-0-92835700-1317843348_thumb.jpg

This Heljan tractor converted to a class 97 with both ends modified as well as the buffer beams. Half way through this conversion I thought to myself it would have been less hassle to buy a JLTRT kit. It would have needed less conversion.

Vin

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the interest, I,ve been following your shunter (08946) for a while and it has really showed the build speed you can get with a JLTRT kit. I hope I can do the same with a conversion.

Vin

Like the Yellow 37 Vin - not into modern stuff, but I see ( and hear mostly ) these on the cambrian within view of our house...when you just have a diet of bog units any loco will do!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Brian,

Which number DVT is it? I ask this because during my research of the subject, including my own photo's of 9714 there seems to be a lot of variations between each one. The number of equipment boxes and air tanks, positioning of conduit. This has been complicated by conversion by network rail. When I started the under frame in September I was working to photo's of 9701 which doesn't have an additional air tank but does have an extra box near the gangway end bogie. As for the disc brake bogies I've already built these and today finished both of them off. One needing pick ups to feed the DCC chip.

Most of today has been spent constructing the cab end, using one of the spare gangway ends (open door type). This was then covered with a 5thou brass skin, windows and light apertures cut out. I also soldered the led lights and wiring together.

post-11695-0-72966300-1317924351_thumb.jpg

Since this photo was taken I have added the window frames, horn grill and lamp iron and then undercoated it, after a soapy wash.

post-11695-0-02036800-1317924549_thumb.jpg

This is number 1 bogie showing the additional pipework and disc wheels to good effect. These are Heywood wheels which are great but the chemical blacking they use isn't electrically conductive. So out came the emery paper.

post-11695-0-82906700-1317924840_thumb.jpg

This is the under frame before it got its final coat of black paint this afternoon. It shows the main air tank and valve assembly and the lack of motor alternator (MA) set (the space at the bottom of the picture.

post-11695-0-98859500-1317925062_thumb.jpg

This photo shows that 9714 has box in the foreground missing. This was tricky to cut off, breaking several slitting discs in the process.

post-11695-0-13609100-1317925216_thumb.jpg

The final photo is the bolted on Kadee #805 coupling. This was simpler than I thought, because the kadee ride height means that none of the bufferbeam needed to be cut away.

Tomorrow I'm going to glue the side/end assembly to the under frame and fit the interior (also built last month). Two things I don't know about the interior are,

1. What is left in the old guards compartment?

2. What is in between the end of the shower cubicle and the seating, which is opposite the kitchen worktop?

Vin

Hi All,

Cheers Brian for the offer of the photo's. I wondered if it would disappear! 9703 is very similar to mine but has an extra box on one side and also has no on board generator.

Today I've attached the chassis, interior and made some table tops (they are different shape to the mark 2D ones found in the kit). Also finished off the worktops.

post-11695-0-13328700-1318008802_thumb.jpg

This photo also shows the chocolate tint gel pieces and mirror splash back.

post-11695-0-49755900-1318009095_thumb.jpg

The shower unit and toilet with a couple of tables finished. The shower unit is painted black to stop light bleed through the blanked off window. The gap between the seat in the foreground and the shower unit is the bit I can't remember what is in it?

post-11695-0-16891900-1318009401_thumb.jpg

Gangway end up on it's wheels, at last.

post-11695-0-05699100-1318009588_thumb.jpg

Finally the almost finished front end. The yellow paint was still wet at this point. These Railmatch Acrylics dry really fast and the depth of colour is good as well.

Vin

Hi all,

While test running the coach last night. All was well until it derailed on a curved point. This was strange as it had been running round corners fine, but this curve was in the opposite direction and quite sharp. On inspection the fault was on the gangway end bogie and a fixing underframe equipment box. It doesn't mention anything about the bogie brake tray needing 2mm lopped off it in order to negotiate curves in the excellent colour instructions!

post-11695-0-89573400-1318100703_thumb.jpg

The brake tray is on the left of the bogie. So I measured from the centre pivot of the bogie to the closest corner of the offending equipment box. This was 50mm then minus 1mm for play in the bogie, equals 49mm radius. So it was out with the compass to draw a nice arc on the bogie, then hack off to line with a slitting disc.

I haven't had to do this on the other bogie as there is nothing in the way.

Next job to do is construct the cow defender for the front end. I'm off to search for a piece of 5thou brass sheet.....

Vin

• RMweb Premium

1. What is left in the old guards compartment?

2. What is in between the end of the shower cubicle and the seating, which is opposite the kitchen worktop?

Vin

Nice work - as a yellow junkie myself, I'm impressed with your 7mm stuff.

9714 is one of the diesel/generator fitted RTOV's (*) - as the guard's compartment has been removed, that's where the genset goes. The brake equipment panel is located on the bulkhead between the driving cab and former guard's compartment.

There is a storage locker between the shower cubicle and seating area - I presume you've seen my (collection) photo on departmentals.com?

(*) They have been reclassified Remote Train Operating Vehicle - but I think they are still almost universally referred to as DBSO's...........

PM sent regarding interior details.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mick,

Cheers for the info, not only do I now have to make a cabinet for one side but a microwave oven to go on the worktop.

Vin

The storage cabinet looks like it's normal "worktop" height. HTH,

Mick

Hi All,

Cheers Brian for the offer of the photo's. I wondered if it would disappear! 9703 is very similar to mine but has an extra box on one side and also has no on board generator.

Today I've attached the chassis, interior and made some table tops (they are different shape to the mark 2D ones found in the kit). Also finished off the worktops.

post-11695-0-13328700-1318008802_thumb.jpg

This photo also shows the chocolate tint gel pieces and mirror splash back.

post-11695-0-49755900-1318009095_thumb.jpg

The shower unit and toilet with a couple of tables finished. The shower unit is painted black to stop light bleed through the blanked off window. The gap between the seat in the foreground and the shower unit is the bit I can't remember what is in it?

post-11695-0-16891900-1318009401_thumb.jpg

Gangway end up on it's wheels, at last.

post-11695-0-05699100-1318009588_thumb.jpg

Finally the almost finished front end. The yellow paint was still wet at this point. These Railmatch Acrylics dry really fast and the depth of colour is good as well.

Vin

Hi Vin,

really nice job, just one question how many coats did you do to get that nice finish when you used railmatch acrylic , also what did use to thin the paint and what was the mix ratio

Garry

Hi Gazza,

The railmatch paint has been thinned with vallejo acrylic thinners, which is made from de-ionised water (to take out the impurities) and mixed with acrylic binders. It is quite expensive but does made the colours go along way without washing them out. The DBSO (sorry RTOV) end was primed in autotek white the night before and then two light coats of yellow. Basically one after the other as it was quite warm that afternoon and then allowed to bake it the sun for a few hours. As for a ratio I don't really know. This is because I've always done it by eye and it depends on the viscosity of the paint. The yellow is very thick compared to network rail sunshine yellow which is a lot thinner.

I hope this helps. Also I should have some more photos of the build tomorrow.

Vin

Hi All,

Made some good progress today, after a spell of rebuilding a kit which isn't built!

First to be rebuilt was the cab interior after I destroyed it while trying to extract the area where the genset goes. Superglue can be very strong at times.

post-11695-0-91033400-1318522980_thumb.jpg

This shows the new cab interior painted in undercoat grey on the left, and the base of the genset on the right. The base of this has been painted with two different shades of aluminium (one chromed and the other flat aluminium) cross hatched in opposite directions to produce a chequer plate effect that these RTOV's have.

post-11695-0-69580400-1318523390_thumb.jpg

Showing why it is an open box. The Hornby decoder fits nicely in the hole, with enough space for wiring without it making fitting too fiddly. At the bottom of the picture is the self adhesive LEDs for the cab and genset compartments. The wiring being fed down the soon to be built genset exhaust stack.

I know the roof looks as if it has buffers but it's not as it appears. This is the chassis of the other DBSO I'm building (9711).

post-11695-0-96966300-1318524045_thumb.jpg

The roof with the 'Roevac' vents fitted. From left to right. Firstly the grey square is filler from an earlier cock up. Next is the unfinished cab to shore pod (in the correct place (see earlier cock up!!)) which needs the five plasticard ribs fitting. Then the three standard fittings which also apply to mark2D, 2E and 2F BSO variants.

post-11695-0-61413300-1318524837_thumb.jpg

This is what the completed coach will look like. I'll explain the cow defender in a later post.

Jobs to do.

Number and matt varnish the front end.

Build a stainless effect fuel tank which is positioned under the guards compartment.

Finish the roof.

Complete the genset top panel and paint light grey.

Fit lights and wire up.

Ta for now.

Vin

• 3 months later...

Hi Pugsley,

If you think that is expensive to hack around, just have a look what it goes with.........

post-11695-0-92835700-1317843348_thumb.jpg

This Heljan tractor converted to a class 97 with both ends modified as well as the buffer beams. Half way through this conversion I thought to myself it would have been less hassle to buy a JLTRT kit. It would have needed less conversion.

Vin

Very nice, any more pictures of this?

post-11695-0-02036800-1317924549_thumb.jpg

This is number 1 bogie showing the additional pipework and disc wheels to good effect. These are Heywood wheels which are great but the chemical blacking they use isn't electrically conductive. So out came the emery paper.

Vin

Hi Vin,

The DBSO looks excellent. Who produces the brakes discs for the wheels?

Cheers

Tom

Hi Tom,

Cheers for the complements. I've got an update to finish this article, hopefully in the next few days.

The wheels are manufacted by Haywoods and the disc is moulded plastic. These where purchased on line from invertrain.com.

Hope this helps

Vin

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I can't believe its been a year since I've even looked at this RTOV. I was having a clear out (well looking for a MMP class 58 kit that I've been meaning to build for ages). So I took so photos after fitting its new digitrax decoder and programming it.

post-11695-0-06896900-1359225929.jpg

This is a three quarter view with only the directional lights on (Function 0 Front). The bonus of using the 4 character format is that it's DCC address is 9714.

post-11695-0-94735000-1359226523.jpg

View showing the tail lights (Function 0 Rear).

post-11695-0-29712900-1359226670.jpg

With the cab lights on (F2) and interior lights (F1). I still need to make a cab console and fit a driver. Maybe next year!! 

post-11695-0-13691400-1359226820.jpg

The opposite end with Kadee coupling. I've noticed this needs more cables (blue star connections and the 3 Phase power socket next to the corridor connection. Does anybody know if this is an inlet or outlet socket as I'll have to scratch build one?

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Regards Vin

PS I really need to find 97301 its in one of those big blue boxes. 

Archived