Model Railway Journal 195

David Bigcheeseplant

Though I haven't read it thoroughly from cover to cover , what I've seen so far is excellent.

The pictures of North Shields are fantastic , at times it's hard to tell you are looking at a model.

I also enjoyed Dave Bradwell's article on operation - he's picked up on what I've often said in that the American style of operation where traffic is generated and moves done for a reason is IMO a better and more realistic way of operation compared to the more traditional sequence style , it's good to see it adapted to UK practise , and hopefully there will be more articles on this theme in future.

Broadly my thoughts, having not yet been in the mood to give mine the attention it deserves. Obviously Chris Pendlenton has given the issue as a whole an operational slant, and whilst 'themed' issues tend to attract assorted mutterings, if the MRJ cant give a subject the in-depth treatment it deserves, who can...

It's been said before that models are moving more and more away from a position of being based on prototype operation; indeed, I have it on good authority that one person of even greater perceived authority (in his own head :huh: ) is on record as saying that operational articles are only for armchair modellers. Well if that's the case, I wouldnt mind a stint in either Chris or Dave's armchair when they get up to put the kettle on...

• RMweb Gold

It's been said before that models are moving more and more away from a position of being based on prototype operation; indeed, I have it on good authority that one person of even greater perceived authority (in his own head :huh: ) is on record as saying that operational articles are only for armchair modellers. Well if that's the case, I wouldnt mind a stint in either Chris or Dave's armchair when they get up to put the kettle on...

Well said, Ian.

Operations is everything on the real railway, the trains and track are just part of the equation, the rest is people, procedures, traffic flows, processes, stock diagrams, rosters, shift working, weather, tea and bad language!... (list not exhaustive!) ;) :lol:

Guest Max Stafford

A vintage issue this one, both for the North Eastern flavour and the spotlight on operation. My natural leaning is towards goods traffic and I'm starting to think more about operations. These articles look like being a good entry point for further exploration.

The whole concept and execution of Derwenthaugh is a joy to behold in any case and if there was one scenario that could pull me away from ScR modelling it's this!

Dave.

Vintage indeed! This is the only mag I've renewed my subs for this year so I trust they'll keep it up. All the others I'll dip in and out of as I see them because too often this year I've been disappointed.

• RMweb Gold

Received mine over the weekend along with the Xmas card from Shirley Rowe.

It's right up there with the best MRJs of yore in terms of content and inspiration, and reminded me just how much I thrilled at North Shields all those years ago at Central Hall. Even in bare-boards, the other two layouts are truly aspirational as well as inspirational. I've yet to read and digest it all, it's one I know I'll keep coming back to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

No photoshop, just good modelling and cotton wool I think.

David

This is a truly superb issue, definetely vintage. Very inspiring throughout.

I took the liberty of experimenting a bit with the cotton wool effect used in the front page photo from Chris Pendleton's layout. Requires a bit of practice and I haven't quite mastered it yet, but good fun smile.gif. See third photo down here:

http://www.rmweb.co....l-for-mr-ahern/

• RMweb Gold

just goes to show that you don't always need the clever digital jiggery-pokery to get good effects

I agree, Photoshopping can be very effective and useful, but sometimes it's also nice to set a challenge for oneself by doing without it, I find. Although image manipulation does have the advantage of not leaving strands of cotton wool in your loco wheels - I learnt that the hard way icon_confused.gif

Not a magazine I buy, as Mr Shackleton's style tended to put me off, but this one persuaded me at long last. North Shields is not a layout I've seen before, but I lived there (the real one) for a time and still work on that line so it was fascinating to see the station reconstructed as it was before Mr Hitler's bombers re-arranged the architecture and how he compressed everything from the tunnel entrance out to what's now Waterville Road. Splendid stuff, and I'd also echo the comments above on operations; this to my mind is what railway modelling should really be about - if you can't replicate the operations there's not really a lot of point in putting a motor in the loco in the first place.

North Shields is not a layout I've seen before, but I lived there (the real one) for a time and still work on that line so it was fascinating to see the station reconstructed as it was before Mr Hitler's bombers re-arranged the architecture and how he compressed everything from the tunnel entrance out to what's now Waterville Road. Splendid stuff,

I think North Shields is made up rather than a copy of an actual station, a quite believeable might have been!

David

I think North Shields is made up rather than a copy of an actual station, a quite believeable might have been!

David

There's a fair bit of compression and some alteration to facilitate it, but both the station building and the Waterville Road end are still very recognisable. I think the "fictional" element lies in the compressed area and the retention of the trainshed roof and entrance into Brtish Railways days despite Mr Hitler's efforts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

There's a fair bit of compression and some alteration to facilitate it, but both the station building and the Waterville Road end are still very recognisable. I think the "fictional" element lies in the compressed area and the retention of the trainshed roof and entrance into Brtish Railways days despite Mr Hitler's efforts.

The main fictional element--as Chris himself said in his first articles in MRJ--is that the model North Shields is in an elevated position, while the 'real' one was in a fairly deep cutting. The goods yard elements and the access to the quayside lines (this latter in reality was at Percy Main) are also fictionalised.

Archived