Bachmann TPO

Martin_R

Got my later style one today from modelzone in Hull. They were just unpacking them on the counter top. According to the assistant there were still a number available for over the counter sales though not sure what flavours!

Here is mine on Circle St. Not what it was built for but i could not resist!

Paul

post-6856-127921047643.jpg

Obviously the numbers would need changing, but with (acording to the MZ website) only 6 of this type built in real life, how many could you (realistically) justify in a single train, and what other carriages would run with it - BGs / GUVs etc - for the 1960s red, and Blue/Grey periods?

• RMweb Gold

Obviously the numbers would need changing, but with (acording to the MZ website) only 6 of this type built in real life, how many could you (realistically) justify in a single train, and what other carriages would run with it - BGs / GUVs etc - for the 1960s red, and Blue/Grey periods?

Hi Gary

I posted this on the old TPO thread on the last version of RMweb:

From my coaching stock records

11th July 1977

Bristol Parkway

81452+81463+86912+80425+80360+80411+80357+26061+86236

BG-BG-GUV+POT-POS-POT-POS-SK-GUV

Neil

Hi all,

During the late 1970's and early 1980's 80300 and 80301 were allocated to the Workington to Huddersfield postal service, I used to to regulary see this train, it was formed; BG - 80300 or 80301 - BG, usually hauled by a 47. During the mid to late 80's a courier van was added to the formation.

Mick

Now this is from the top of my head, Parkin not at hand.

Diagram 720: 80300 - 80305 were built with nets and arms, these later removed.

80309 - 80318 were also built to diagram 720, but with either nets or arms, and provision for whatever was missing. All later removed.

80306 - 80308 were built to diagram 721 I believe, and never had provision for nets or arms.

To basically one of these coaches is applicable for 16 prototype vehicles.

HTH

Regards

Matt

I phoned today to check about the one I ordered, and it will be sent out today or tomorrow. Can't wait smile.gif

All this talk of TPO's I found this picture I took in 1989 at Bristol. Thought it might help.

post-7669-12792034195_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the photo - meant I just had to get one one in red as well as the BG I'd ordered and promised myself would be the only one I got :rolleyes:

Basingstoke MZ have all 4 but down to the last "Royal Mail TPO" red liveried one this PM

The shop staff reckon they're really pleased with them and are going like hotcakes - so I mentioned that they might want to think about commissioning a Mk1 sleepeing car as a follow up..................... :D

I phoned The Signal Box on my day off on Wednesday having seen them showing as in stock and having dealt with them before so ordered the 80's and 90's red versions as from what I have seen of them so far look very good and will hopefully have them next week and must say can't wait. The man I spoke to was very friendly and helpful. These will be perfect for a planned future project where I can recreate the old Cumbrian coast working that use to come into Barrow with either a 47 or 31 with a 4 coach TPO working.

Thanks,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

80309 - 80318 were also built to diagram 720, but with either nets or arms, and provision for whatever was missing. All later removed.

80306 - 80308 were built to diagram 721 I believe, and never had provision for nets or arms.

HTH

Regards

Matt

Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but the main differences between the different vehicles within the POT (NSX) series 80300-80395 (80300-18 were NSV) were the bogies, after taking into account the nets/arms fitments already mentioned.

B1: 80300-5/15-18; B2 80306-80314 the rest had B5

80300-18 were vacuum braked only (well by 1978)

What bogies do the Bachy versions have, presumably B1?

Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but the main differences between the different vehicles within the POT (NSX) series 80300-80395 (80300-18 were NSV) were the bogies, after taking into account the nets/arms fitments already mentioned.

B1: 80300-5/15-18; B2 80306-80314 the rest had B5

80300-18 were vacuum braked only (well by 1978)

What bogies do the Bachy versions have, presumably B1?

NSX / NSV codes are well a bit out of my personal time frame, and my blue and grey ones need a few decal changes to back date. But they do come with B1's on the model.

On a slightly related note, anyone else seen the changed close coupling mechanism on these? With the supplied vac/steam pipes these no longer couple with the gangways pressed together. Presumable necessary due to the included none-standard Bachmann under-frame (a heavy duty under-frame?).

Also, I notice they are fitted with plastic draw hooks, presumable that means these were not fitted with buckeye's? I was sure these were fitted with pullman gangways, thus assumed buckeyes and retractable buffers...

I really need to re-read the TPO section in Parkin, but I'm sure none of the above were mentioned...

Anyone got any further insight?

Regards

Matt

Also, I notice they are fitted with plastic draw hooks, presumable that means these were not fitted with buckeye's? I was sure these were fitted with pullman gangways, thus assumed buckeyes and retractable buffers...

I guess this drawhook is similar to the pullmans which, like the TPO's have one piece side/ends (as opposed to integrated chassis ends in rest of mk1s). The TPOs, like all (?) corridor mk1s have buckeyes, just modelling them interferes with the coupling swing mechanism.

Pullman gangways certainly, and therefore buckeyes. Can you have Pullman gangways without buckeyes?

Incidentaly, if anyone fancies fitting out the interior, there is a good b/w shot in Trains Illustrated for December 1959.

Chris

Pullman gangways certainly, and therefore buckeyes. Can you have Pullman gangways without buckeyes?

Incidentaly, if anyone fancies fitting out the interior, there is a good b/w shot in Trains Illustrated for December 1959.

Chris

IIRC, hauled BR coaching stock had buckeyes that could be dropped as they needed a drawhook to couple to a loco (class 90 excepted). Therefore the presence of one would not be innaccurate as such, it's just that the buckeye hanging below is omitted.

IIRC, hauled BR coaching stock had buckeyes that could be dropped as they needed a drawhook to couple to a loco (class 90 excepted). Therefore the presence of one would not be innaccurate as such, it's just that the buckeye hanging below is omitted.

I seem to remember that when Bachmann first brought out their new Mk 1s, there was a dummy dropped buckeye included as an optional fitting, along with the pipe close-connection. It looked well at the end of a rake of coaches.

I have just acquired a '60s red version. I must say it is a stunning model; the intricacies of the small windows is excellently reproduced. I clearly remember seeing these in Inverness when I was a boy.

Surprised this hasnt been asked but are any of those 16 applicable to LMR or ScR usage at any point pre-say, 1970?

Anyone know where I can get one of these - I must of missed the 10mins they were available on the Modelzone website, and living out in the boondocks I am nowhere near one of the stores. These limited availability limited editions are becoming a right royal pain to obtain! :blink:

Surprised this hasnt been asked but are any of those 16 applicable to LMR or ScR usage at any point pre-say, 1970?

Closest I've seen is a picture of 30816 at dated august 1972 (page 37 of the Parkin supplement), clearly shown with an SC prefix. However it should be noted that that particular vehicle has a scottish crown and ER cipher, and the late fee would need correcting. I've enquired about transfers, and the late fee could be done, but the Post Office are funny about people using any of their trademarks. I also notice it has dual raised roof panels, presumably for the VHF radio equipment, although nothing is noted in Parkin on the subject.

I was kindly put in Touch with Mike Wright, an Ex TPO man working out of Carlisle, who assures me that the Diagram 720 TPO never ran through Carlisle, which is a disappointment to me. But still, I can use it to represent the 1S81 2038 Carlisle – Perth Down Postal, circa may 1974, at least until I can find out and build the typical diagram vehicle for the service.

I need to have a good read through all the postings on Robert Carroll's BRCoachingStock yahoo group, as I've probably missed some nice incites on the subject.

Regards

Matt

Archived