Peco 2251 Collett Goods to be discontinued

Karhedron

There does not seem to be any official announcement from Peco about this but they are all showing as discontinued on the Hattons webpage.

Does it actually mean "Peco will no longer be producing them" or simply "Hattons will no longer stock them"??

Maybe it's a case of Peco knowing they cannot compete with Dapol and Bachmann in turning out models - how long I wonder did it take Peco to get this locomotive to market and whether they are best placed to develop more models at a price that will sell. If I remember when these came out they were certainly a premium product against even new toolings from either of the other manufacturers.

Neither of those factors were likely to have played a significant part. However the manufacturing cost of producing something like this in the UK almost certainly has ...

Fitting a £35 decoder can't have helped though as I couldn't imagine Lenz giving them a massive discount on them. They pre-empted the digital takeup a bit with it too and in the wrong scale.

A Chinese made with one the correct tender and a simple DC setup probably would have been better.

I'm not sure there's any news in this story at all. The Peco 2251 was made in a batch (or several of different liveries depending how you want to look at it) - this batch is still not sold out, so Peco are simply not producing any more at this time.

It doesn't hardly affect availability at present - there are still plenty of opportunities to buy one brand new.

I would suspect once sold out and demand for new ones starts to rise again that Peco will reconsider. This is what they did with the Jubilees - there were long gaps between production runs.

Cheers,

Alan

Andy did touch on Peco's 'status' on the forum a little bit here:

http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

Not sure if he ever got anywhere engaging more with them though. That thread is from much earlier in the year and there's been no change, so I'm suspecting not.

Only a minor problem though - as long as their new releases get mentioned by someone on here then we can chug along as is.

Had a look today at Hatton's website and they have 4 in the shirtbutton livery in stock and they are taking pre-orders for the BR late crest version.

I always thought this was a very attractive model and was tempted to buy several times, but it was just too expensive, I suspect at least in part because of the DCC decoder fitted. Since I don't run DCC and doubt I ever will I could never justify spending the price premium for something I would never use. If Peco had offered a version without the decoder for a lower price I likely would have sprung for one. As it was, Union Mills got more of my business. (Yes, I know UM don't do GW locos but I don't care.)

Matt

Like you Matt, I feel the inclusion of the decoder makes the loco just too expensive for a DC operation like mine. If Peco produced one without the decoder and lowered the price, I would certainly buy one. I imagine that without the need to provide space for the decoder it might be possible to produce the local with the smaller - and prototypically more common - tender. Just a thought.

Yet another vote for the "No DCC Chip, smaller, more accurate tender" here...

Unfortunately, when Peco released the 2251, the price was a killer. Back then, N Gauge locos rarely got near £100, let alone comfortably over it like 2251 was, that, along with the fact that DCC wasn't massively popular, especially in N Gauge made it a very unlikely purchase for most people... It certainly stopped me (that and the fact I use one of Gaugemaster's high-frequency track cleaners which fries DCC chips).

If they'd released a non-DCC version with a correct tender for sub-£100, I would have bought one instantly.

Ross

• RMweb Premium

And another thing.Those shiny chrome wheels look horrible alongside modern models from other makes (even worse than the unpainted wheels on some Dapol locos).

It seems everyone is agreed on the DCC chip issue,will Peco take note?

Not sure if he ever got anywhere engaging more with them though. That thread is from much earlier in the year and there's been no change, so I'm suspecting not.

I did mention it; when I found their stand in keeping with the stealth tactics tucked away almost hidden. However I was somewhat surprised to see Pritchard Patent Products have a facebook page. :O I don't think they did it though! Twitter will be something that the Beer birds do. ;)

• RMweb Premium

It seems everyone is agreed on the DCC chip issue,will Peco take note?

Peco made a very brave decision to go down the DCC only route, and whilst not everyone is going to be happy about this Peco won't be the last company to do it, I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before this happens again, then again and again. I haven't bought a 22xx because I can't afford one and they were somewhat scarce in the far South West not because of the DCC provision, this is a draw for me not a detraction.

As I understand it there's nothing incorrect about the tender, it's just that it's an exceedingly uncommon (but not unknown) pairing with the 2251.

I think that is correct. The Peco model is a fair representation of the high-sided Collett 3500 gallon "Intermediate" tender. I have not been able to find a conclusive comprehensive list of which locos ran with these high-sided tenders and photos seem to be a bit elusive but from my notes and photos I have identified the following locos as having run with one of these tenders at some point.

3207, 2204, 2232 and 2294

Archived